Review of Pride of America.......just back from Hawaii

tmt3698

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

I just arrived home from Hawaii, did the 7 day cruise with NCL on Pride of America. 

I traveled solo, I'm 50 years old and love to travel. I've been on several cruises and I'm not

loyal to one line just look for the best deals. I try not to be negative or overly critical but some things

happened on this cruise that really got on my nerves. 

I flew into HNL three days early to sight see and and stayed two days after. I stayed at Aqua Palms the first three days

pretty nice hotel, not in the heart of Waikiki closer to downtown. I wished I would have stayed further into to Waikiki but

what can you do. The Waikiki shuttle has the "pink line" this is the shopping shuttle it's $2 each ride. The other lines/colors 

are more of a narrated tour and they charge $25 per day plus those lines don't come as often as the pink line. I used the pink line

a couple of time, rented a car to head over to Pearl Harbor and the Bishop Museum. Paid for one night of parking at the hotel which was

$25. Since the ramp to the USS Arizona was damaged while I was there I chose the Pacific Aviation Musuem instead got a guided tour

off of Groupon. I got there at 9am and I was the only one on the tour. The tour guide let me sit in the cock pit of the C47, pretty cool.

Picture of Waikiki from the condo I stayed at

enhance

enhance

Atrium deck 5 Pride of America

enhance

enhance

Pacific Aviation Museum

enhance

enhance

Edited by tmt3698

The embarkation process went pretty smooth, a little long. 
Got on board headed to the MDR the server had three other tables and one quickly left. I sat there almost four minutes no Hi I’ll be right there
The host came by I said can I change tables no one has come by or even greeted me. He said don’t worry I’ll take your order and get your drink.
The waiter never came over the host took care of me.
had nachos as an appetizer and fish and chips both were very good. I had ordered dessert but no one brought it and decided to just leave. 
Walked around the ship looked around, they announced all the rooms were ready. I was in cabin 13505 on deck 13 as a guaranteed inside cabin. There are 20 suites on this deck and about 8 inside cabins so my shower was a deluxe shower with six power jets and a rain shower. I had two closets with hangars and another with shelves. A sitting area with another bank of drawers. I thought cool! Well I hate to complain but the shower leaked every time I used it, I reported it right away but it leaked the whole time, I had to use a large towel to soak up the water each time. The toilet stopped working the second day I let me steward know and went about my business. 

Here is my shower stall:

enhance

Here is the towel from soaking up the water

enhance

This night I ate at the buffet had chicken Parmesan and a Cesar salad it was good but not hot. Didn’t go to a show, went to bed early ready for Maui.
In Maui I rented a car from Cruisin Maui Car Rental they met me at Whole Foods and instructed me to buy something from Longs Drugs and put the receipt in the dash board so that is what I did and had no problem 
I’ve been to Maui before my plan was to go to all my favorite places and snorkel so that’s what I did and did a quick hike at the Dragons Teeth lookout in Kapalua. Bought sushi at a grocery store and ate it at a park.
Since I was traveling solo I wanted to get back to the Longs Drugs before dark you have to walk back to the ship it’s an industrial port. 

I've been to Maui twice before so I didn't take as many pictures

Here are the West Maui Mountains

enhance

Pride of America pool deck

enhance

Thought this was pretty, entry way to elevators deck 12

enhance

Shopping area on ship

enhance

This night the ship was pretty empty I think I must have eaten at the buffet 
I can’t remember.
The next morning got up and went to Black Rock at the Sheraton to 
Snorkel. It’s great snorkeling there saw lots of fish and three turtles 
Then headed toward Kihei for CoConuts Cafe they have the best fish tacos.
Then headed to Ahihi Kinau nature preserve it was too rough for my liking and you have to walk over lava to get there.

After that headed back toward Kahului to turn the car in.

This night I thought I’d go to the MDR well all the restaurants were on a wait, 
It seems everyone on this cruise were making reservations if you didn’t have a reservation you had to wait. 
So back to the buffet this was Oriental night I tried a little of the pork, chicken and beef. The beef was delicious. And had salad. 

The next day was Hilo, decided to do the hoppa on hoppa off bus they pick you up right there at the port. And had an appt. for a guided tour at the Lyman Museum. The bus took us to Rainbow Falls wow this was beautiful 
Then got off in downtown went in a few shops then had to walk to the museum. Mr. Lyman was a missionary they gave a tour of his original frame home and the museum talks about Hawaiian history. 
Got back on the bus went to the Japanese garden it was nice but now it started a light rain. We had to circle around to their office for a differ t. Us to Richardson Black sand beach it was still raining lightly by the time we
got there the rain picked up so I didn’t get off. Went back to their office took
The bus back downtown walked around some more then thought this day is a bust. Should have done something else. Oh well.
Got back to the ship the buffet had an “afternoon snack” out 
This was the best so far sorry to say a tuna wrap, Mac and cheese, risotto, and a wedge salad and assorted cookies.
For dinner the buffet was “Hawaiian themed” people were lined up for the whole pig they had displayed. I didn’t get any had mashed potatoes, chicken, fish, it was ok not great. 

Hilo Japanese Garden

enhance

Me at Rainbow Falls Hilo

enhance

Next day in Kona I rented a car from Thrifty inside the Marriott right by where the ships docks. Easy breezy in and out. I wanted to snorkel Captain Cook got a groupon fora kayak rental from Bayside Adventures $26.
Drove there got the kayak paddled to Capt Cook area there is no landing in Capt Cook so I had to get off the kayak in open water and back on. I knew this might be a problem but went for it. Well my swim suit caught the hook to the seat on the kayak and ripped from my hip down to my crotch area! 
So not much snorkeling for me. Luckily the Four Winds catamaran was there they let me stand on their steps to reboard the kayak and offi paddled back to my starting point. The best thing was I saw a pod of spinner dolphins inthe bay. They were sleeping not jumping but it was still cool. 
Got back to the starting cove you have waves crashing on each side and a small area that is calm to paddle in. I was scared but made it. Loki g back I should have forked out the money for a catamaran tour. 
Stopped for pizza then farted around. 

Kona: Captain Cook Monument....kayaked there 

enhance

View from pier/dock of Kona

enhance

Small beach right by the pier/dock in Kona

enhance

Sunset 

enhance

• Like 1

Next day is Kaui, rented a car from Enterprise they have a shuttle that picks you up airport is very close by. I was up early and on the first shuttle. 
Then I went to JJ’s Broiler in the Anchor Cove shopping center paid $20 for a parking pass and they have a shuttle to take you back to the ship. There is free parking all up and down the streets inside the white line but I just paid the $20. I downloaded the Shaka guide and did the Waimea Caynon drive, zoned out and missed the turn wasted about 45 minutes getting lost. The Shaka guide is great but if you get off track he won’t tell you to turn around like a GPS. Made it to the canyon and it’s a wow moment. Made it to the “end of the road” and it’s amazing! After that went to a grocery store and got some poke and rice and decided to drive to Poipu Beach for sunset. Which was another wow moment.
Got back to Anchor Cove shopping center after dark waited a very short time and the shuttle came. Now I discovered the Cadillac Diner had the chicken wings, wedge salad and meat loaf. The wings and salad were good meat loaf not so much.  
Waimea Canyon Lookout:

enhance

There are chickens everywhere in Hawaii, here is nice looking fellow

enhance

Waimea Canyon

enhance

Here is the Na Pali Coast "at the end of the road" Waimea Canyon Road

enhance

Na Pali Coast with a rainbow

enhance

enhance

• Like 2

The next morning was up early again the shuttle didn’t start until 8am 
so I just walked to Anchor Cove not too far. Went to another grocery store got more sushi, drinks and ice and headed for the north shore. Via the Shaka guide. Went to the lighthouse great view it wasn’t open yet but didn’t really want o pay $10.
Went to some beach off a dirt road could have skipped that. 
Went to another beach that is supposed to be the best for snorkeling but
It was a bust couldn’t see anything.
Needed to start heading back traffic is awful through Kapaa town. 
Got back they had a bbq at the pool had a hamburger, seasoned fries
all very good. 
Got back to my cabin and the toilet won’t flush again so now I’m upset 
I stormed down to customer service told her this was the second time and the shower leaks ever time. I said I’d like to speak to a manager she said they aren’t available someone in your “zone” put a foreign object down their toilet and the whole zone isn’t working. I said well I feel I should be compensated somehow I asked that my WiFi package be refunded she said they can’t that is a third party provider. So she gave me a free dinner to a specialty restaurant. 
I wanted Carney’s but they were all booked. So I ate at Jefferson’s Bistro
Had escargot, filet both delicious the potatoes that came with the steak were not soft. Got the flaky pastry with ice cream and chocolate syrup. The party wasn’t flaky. 
Before dinner the captain does a slow drive by the Na Pali Coast and the
Naturalist speaks over the speakers this is on the port side(left) at 5:15 I got up there early and got a chair and got spot. This is another wow moment.

Lighthouse in Kauai

enhance

Na Pali Coast drive by on the ship

enhance

enhance

Liberty MDR.....dress code required the Skyline MDR has no dress code

enhance

Liberty MDR

enhance

Comped meal at Jefferson's Bistro:

enhance

Edited by tmt3698

The last morning is always a little sad that you have to leave and go back to reality. Had breakfast in the buffet it was very busy. I do the self walk off with my carry on bags you have until 9am to leave. I know the steward was ready to get the rooms cleaned I think I left about 8:30 called a Lyft to come pick me up, the powers that be at the port make all the "shared ride" people walk over a sidewalk that is not a continuous side walk so rolling the bags up and down the curb is challenging. Luckily no cars were coming so I just rolled mine on the street and walked really fast. They will hold your luggage there at the port $5 per suitcase. I went to the condo I rented at the Hawaiian Monarch in Waikiki. And they hold luggage too. I really didn't want to rent another car so this day I paid for one ride on the Waikiki "shopping" shuttle $2 then decided to pay a pass for The Bus $5.75 for one day of riding. I used Google Maps you put in the address and it tells you what bus you need to take and what time it will come. Worked out well went downtown to see the Iolani Palace and statue. Stopped in the library figured they would have bathrooms which they do. Took the bus back to Waikiki then decided to take the bus to Diamond Head per Google the bus would go to the Diamond Head lookout, I guess it did but I missed the stop and two other ladies wanted to go there to so we had to walk back up the hill and the view was just ok, then we had to walk back down the hill to the bus stop. That was too much it was the middle of the afternoon and very hot. The next day I broke down and rented a car from 808 Smart Cars they are right in the condo building so it was easy. Took the Shaka Guide on the south circle island tour. I felt this tour compared to the north shore tour was more scenic and beautiful but I didn't find any garlic shrimp trucks 😞 The south shore circle tour didn't take that much time so I also went to the Pali Lookout and the Punchbowl lookout/cemetery both have great views. Stopped in Target for a soft pillow all the pillows were hard at that condo. What a trip that was you have to park in the parking garage and Target is three floors with escalators and elevators. Headed to the airport the next day to fly home and luckily all the flights were on time. 

Sandy Beach on the South shore big waves/ lots of surfers

enhance

South Shore Honolulu

enhance

View from Pali Lookoutenhance

View from Punchbowl lookout

enhance

Me at the Japanese Gardens in Honolulu

enhance

Chinaman's Hat/ Mokoli'i Island

enhance

Edited by tmt3698

Happy to help, let me know if you have any questions. Deck 13 forward was very rocky, I normally don't get sea sick or bothered by rocking but this was really rocky. That far forward and that high I could feel every wave we hit.

Hi Beachiekeen,

All those pictures were taken with my iphone 7. 

I also took pics with my Samsung camera but I haven't downloaded those yet.

I know every vacation isn't going to be perfect but when the toilet wouldn't flush twice that sent me over the edge. 

We've had that toilet stopped up issue really bad on one cruise.  And, it was someone putting objects into their's that was causing the problem for many, many cabins.  It was addressed politely at first by notices and by the cabin stewards reminding all of us.   The issue continued.  And....the captain finally got on the speaker, feed his remarks into the cabins, something that is usually reserved for emergency messages only, and in no uncertain terms advised that he was about to take very firm and unpleasant actions against the cabin doing this, when it was located.  No problems after that for the rest of the cruise.   

Not sure why is wasn't flushing the first time but when I went to the customer service desk she said someone put a foreign object down their toilet and it made the whole "zone" stop working. There was also a rotten egg smell I noticed several times  in different locations on the ship. But overall I thought the ship was up to par with other ships that size and age. I was on the Carnival Liberty back in 2015 and that ship was really beautiful. 

You'll have a great time, the first time I went to HI, I really wanted to head back to Europe but because of terrorism I went to Maui instead and fell in love!

There are no clocks in the rooms, I bring a battery powered alarm clock with me and a small flash light. Hooks that are magnetic would be a big help too(for storage/hanging things)  :)

Hi We B Cruzin,

I love to write reviews when I get home, because I read them on this site before I go. 

Here is a website about Ocean Safety in HI. The waves get big especially in Nov.

You'll be there during whale season, hope you see some whales it's an amazing thing to see the whales. 

http://hawaiibeachsafety.com/

Another tip, you might want to make reservations for your restaurant/venue of choice 

before you go. For some reason everyone seemed to do that on my cruise and it was hard to get into the MDR without a wait. 

We did this cruise for our 25th back in 2006.  We had the same service issues in the MDR.  For one meal, I had a chicken and noodle dish.  When I found the one small piece of chicken, the waiter said “oh, it’s your lucky day!  You actually got meat with your dish!” 

In the specialty restaurant, I asked for Thousand Island dressing and was told they didn’t have it.  I reminded the waiter that the MDR does and that they were sharing a kitchen.  He very indignantly stormed off.  Never did get my dressing.

Overall, a great way to see the islands.  It sounds like they just haven’t figured out the service aspect.

Unfortunately I only ate one time in the MDR because of scheduling and they were "on a wait". I would rather have an assigned time than have to wait but whatever.

I've read reviews on CC that all the employees on the POA are American as opposed to a ship in the Caribbean or elsewhere with foreign employees. I did notice the tables in the buffet area were not cleaned as quickly as other ships I've been on and getting a table was a challenge. Samatha the gal that would spray my hands each morning was a delight!