What I ate on NCL Getaway 10/14 Eastern Caribbean

ludicrous_speed

We sailed on Getaway 10/14/18 to 10/21/18 through the Eastern Caribbean. I'm all about food and that will be my focus on this post and I'll add pictures as I have some free time. Most of my meals were in the main dining room but I did visit a few specialty restaurants and the buffet a few times. Overall, we had a great trip and the ship was fantastic. I will touch base on a few non food related topics and I'll be happy to answer questions for future Getaway Cruisers.

Starting with Day One- Lunch in one of the Main Dining Rooms- Savor.

I started with a bowl of Pho. It was pretty good. Flavor was not strong but it was seasoned well. 

IMG_7812.jpg

• Like 1

Dinner in Tropicana. We had a table of 8 each night so we set reservations early for Tropicana. They ended up reserving the same table for us in section 4 nightly. Our server was great and was able to anticipate our needs after a couple dinners. Freestyle is a great option but I prefer a set time and this worked out great.

I started with Crab Potstickers. Essentially Crab Rangoon. I enjoyed it.

IMG_7837.jpg

Day Two- Breakfast. Main Dining Room- Savor. 

I love breakfast in the main dining room on cruise ships. I'm not a huge fan of buffets- not to say they are not good- I just like the calm, formal pace of the dining room while I'm on vacation.

I started with some fruit- peaches and blueberries with a cinnamon ginger syrup. The combo sounded interesting and I enjoyed it. It was light and refreshing.

IMG_7867.jpg

I ordered two breakfast entrees. The first one was this Croissant Breakfast Sandwich. It had scrambled eggs, swiss cheese, green onion, and ham. I like my scrambled eggs on the wet side and they executed this perfectly. The croissant was fresh, the cheese was melted nicely- Really enjoyed it.

IMG_7868.jpg

• Like 1

My second breakfast 🙂

Eggs Benedict is my go-to vacation breakfast. The kitchen staff on this ship did a great job pulling these together. The eggs were poached perfectly each time. This consistency was a first for me on a cruise. I was impressed.

The breakfast potatoes were a surprise hit for me. Onions, Peppers and a hint of Rosemary.

On a side note- the buffet had a few forms of Eggs Benedict available and I thought they did a good job with those as well.

IMG_7869.jpg

Lunch Day Two. O'Sheehan's Pub.

We noticed that the menu in the MDR for lunch was the same so we decided to go to O'Sheehan's. I read a lot of negative reviews but knew I needed to go in with an open mind. 

I really liked the atmosphere and it was a great place to have some beverages while you kids took advantage of their Unlimited Arcade Package. (I'll go into detail on that package later). The location above the Atrium did make this area a popular and sometimes crowded destination but I never felt it was too bad.

First off was chicken wings. These were a big hit with my kids. They are buffalo wing junkies. The fact that they could order these anytime AND play video games was too much for their mushy brains. They were happy- I was happy.

The wings were on the small side-but that was ok with me. Tasted good and they had a few sauces to toss them in- Buffalo, Thai Chili, BBQ, and Jerk. I tried Buffalo, Thai, and BBQ. All good to me. This is a picture of Buffalo.

IMG_7853.jpg

Appetizer number two was Nachos.

They reminded me of dressed up Ballpark Nachos. That's not a bad thing to me- I like the liquid nacho cheese sauce and jalapeños concoction we get at concession stands. These had a sprinkling of bacon and some fresh cilantro. It worked well. The biggest surprise- the chips were fresh and salty. Each time I had the chips, they tasted as if they were fried that day. 

IMG_7873.jpg

My Lunch Entree was Steak Fajitas. The serving was enough for two to three Fajitas. The beef was a little underwhelming but it was easy to dress it up with the fresh jalapeños, lime, and pico. I didn't order it again this trip but I wouldn't steer anyone away from trying it either.

IMG_7874.jpg

Appetizer Number Two- Smoked Salmon Tartare

I ordered this on a whim. I wanted a second appetizer but I wasn't in the mood for the other choices ( spinach artichoke dip or bruschetta). This was surprisingly good. I ate a few bites at first but found myself going back more and more as I waiting for my first entree. 

IMG_7886.jpg

• Like 1

Entree Number One- Pepper Crusted Roast Beef.

I was a bit let down with the presentation. The beef was closer to medium and a little tough but thats a personal preference and not a huge issue. The gravy drowned out the Polenta and Spinach. Overall, everything just tasted like gravy. 

IMG_7887.jpg