What I ate on NCL Getaway 10/14 Eastern Caribbean

ludicrous_speed

I went with a salad instead of a second appetizer tonight.

This is the Pear and Gorgonzola Salad. I do like the contrast between gorgonzola and sweet fruits. The dressing was a light flavored vinaigrette. The only negative on this dish was a surprise hit of Frisee or another bitter lettuce that I didn't expect. Other than that, it was pretty tasty and refreshing.

IMG_7976.jpg

My second entree was Bang Bang Chicken and Shrimp.

This was sort of a Thai Curry dish- Coconut, Peanuts, Veggies. The first few bites were flavorful but as I progressed, the coconut flakes and their texture started to overpower everything. I liked it more than the sirloin though.

IMG_7978.jpg

8 hours ago, tomservo said:

Awesome thread. Any chance we can get menu pics? I thought the Getaway was getting new menus recently. 

I took a few menu pictures but they came out hard to read.

I did a lot of research on the menus in the months prior to our trip. These menus matched the ones that BirdTravel pictured in their behind the scenes photos for the upcoming menu. The menus did not match the ones posted in the previous months so I'm certain they are on the new menus.

I skipped breakfast on day 4. My wife and kids ran up to the buffet to eat a little before we left for our excursion.

We spent a few hours at Magens Bay. We walked just outside of the security fence and asked one of the transportation gentlemen for transportation. Since there were 8 of us, the pricing was $8.00 per person each way. (under 8 people- $10 per person). We had our own van and there ride took about 20 min. The drive up and over the ridge/mountain was beautiful.

Once we arrived, we paid an entrance fee of $5 per person. 12 and under are free. Our driver gave us his phone number to call him when we were ready to return. We offered to pay for the first half of our trip but he said it was not necessary and he would collect on the return.

The bay was beautiful. It was clean and they had a few bathroom facilities. They also have a concession stand and a bar. Chairs and umbrellas are available to rent and they require a deposit- bring cash. The concession stand and bar accept credit card but have a minimum purchase- I believe it was $15 at the bar and $10 and the concession stand. drinks and food were a little pricy as they are the only option available.

Here are a few pictures of the beach/bay.

IMG_8120.jpg

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8093.jpg

IMG_8004.jpg

• Like 1

I missed a couple food items from our sea day.

This is the Lobster Roll from Ocean Blue. They open a window on the waterfront on sea days around lunchtime. 

This was delicious!! The bread was so good. The lobster and sauce was awesome! The potato chips were light and crispy. I didn't want to share it, but I did.

The cost was $10. I didn't order it again but I wanted to. I wanted to order another 10 but the budget said otherwise.

IMG_7875.jpg

These macaroons were from the Carlos Bake shop. It shares a space with the Gelato bar, aft on the waterfront. (I think it was aft?- but not 100%)

I thought they were ok. About $2.50 each did not seem worth it. The kids liked it. My wife liked them but was not blown away.

Raspberry, Vanilla, Chocolate shown.

IMG_7876.jpg

Dinner- Day Four- Tropicana

Tonight I started with the Cheesy Mashed Potato Croquettes. I was excited for this! I love potatoes and carbs and I have limited my intake since January. Brag Moment: I lost 45 lbs prior to the cruise so I was letting loose and enjoying anything and everything on vacation. My wife ordered these as well. They looked great when they arrived. I think it was a panko like breadcrumb? Anyway- I finished one and a half. It was the filling- I knew it would be mashed potatoes but it was too creamy.  I know that sounds odd- but it was closer to sour cream in consistency than mashed potatoes. The flavor was heavy on onion. My wife only ate one and said "I was expecting that to be better"

IMG_8171.jpg