Fuerte Amador-Panama City

CarolandNate

5 hours ago, ECBoca2 said:

We would like to know if it is possible to take a cab from Amador dock to Panama City to get the hop on hop off bus tour? An alternative would be a private tour to Panama City from Amador.  Any suggestions are much appreciated.

The bus goes out to the end of the causeway at Ft. Amador and you should be able to buy tickets at that location.

https://ops.isango.com/echo/Files/Panama_new_map.pdf

12 minutes ago, travelerchris said:

I would do a private tour. Traffic in Panama is horrific. Especially on Fridays. We don't go into town on Fridays and make sure we're back across the bridge by 3pm on any given day. 

That would seem to be a good reason to do a tour through the ship.  At least you are guaranteed to get back in time, if traffic is bad.  The rule of thumb that we are using is that if we are going into the countryside in any port, that we are going to use the ship's tour.  In our case that means PV, SJDS, Puntarenas and Panama.  If we are close enough like a mile or so, then private or go on our own might work.  That would be Cartagena and Huatulco.  Then also we leave with hours to spare.

When we did Alaska, anywhere we were in Ketchikan, we were within sight of the ship, basically a 10 minute walk.  In Juneau, we got back from the Glacier with more than three hours before the ship was leaving and went to the tram, which was basically across the street from the ship.

In Panama, we are doing the Embera Indians through the ship.  I gets back by 2:30 (ship leaves at 6:00).  Even if there were some issues, we have the protection of having done it through the ship.

5 minutes ago, travelerchris said:

I totally agree on doing a tour through the ship. You are protected against all eventualities that way. Believe it or not. We did the Embera tour off a ship from Colon, instead of driving there from home! 

I assume home means you have a place there.  Looking back at Alaska, we actually did all of our tours privately.  In Skagway, we went on a 6 1/2 hour private tour to the Yukon.  In retrospect, we were probably taking a big chance, had something gone wrong and we got stuck somewhere.  It turned out that we got back with hours to spare.   And we had the Chef's Table that night.  That said, I'm not sure what we were thinking when we set it up.

Yes, we live in Coronado Panama. About 80 miles from the city, that takes 1 1/2 hrs on a good day. We do mostly Regent and in Alaska we went to the dog camp on the glacier on a helicopter. Just before we got ready to leave the fog moved in. We were on a ship tour and as we left,  the Captain arrived to do the same tour. The fog got so bad, no further helicopters were allowed in or out. The Captain was STUCK! Many of the helicopter pilots are former military and 1 volunteered to take the chance and fly the Captain back to the ship! They made it! But we all thought we'd be there another night. 

1 hour ago, travelerchris said:

Yes, we live in Coronado Panama. About 80 miles from the city, that takes 1 1/2 hrs on a good day. We do mostly Regent and in Alaska we went to the dog camp on the glacier on a helicopter. Just before we got ready to leave the fog moved in. We were on a ship tour and as we left,  the Captain arrived to do the same tour. The fog got so bad, no further helicopters were allowed in or out. The Captain was STUCK! Many of the helicopter pilots are former military and 1 volunteered to take the chance and fly the Captain back to the ship! They made it! But we all thought we'd be there another night. 

You did a helicopter to a glacier?  Which one?  We did as well at Knik River.  We were going to stay in Anchorage our last night after driving from Healy just north of Denali.  Then we saw a BOGO for a helicopter ride onto the glacier.  We called they gave us a break if we stayed at their lodge and the BOGO.  So we canceled the Comfort Inn in Anchorage.  The copter stayed on the glacier for 45 minutes, but what a great experience !!   We also took a plane right up to Denali, not just a fly by but maybe 10 miles straight on.  It was fly out, see the mountain fly to Kantishnu and take the shuttle back. 

My husband really wants to see the city and not the Canal area as this is our 2nd Panama Canal Cruise. Is the old City adjacent to Panama City? Any private tour suggestions? Are taxi's available where we enter the Port to the city?

Edited by ECBoca2

20 hours ago, ECBoca2 said:

My husband really wants to see the city and not the Canal area as this is our 2nd Panama Canal Cruise. Is the old City adjacent to Panama City? Any private tour suggestions? Are taxi's available where we enter the Port to the city?

While I have not disembarked from a cruise ship at Ft. Amador, I feel sure that taxis would be available.  Actually the Casco Antiguo (old city) which is on the small peninsula in the bottom half of the picture, is surrounded by Panama City.  The Casco can be referred to a number of ways, Casco Antiguo/or Viejo, the Colonial District or San Felipe district.  Casco Antiguo/Viejo are more common though.  There is more of the City towards the left outside the frame of the picture.

I also included a map showing you where you disembark in Ft. Amador and the Casco Antiguo, a distance about 8 miles.

image.thumb.png.98491c0f55c9fea3010c780b6b91d25b.pngZAmador1.thumb.png.369a46041d202fb924a137d3823ca36b.png

Edited by BillB48

Yes there will be taxis. Some have a/c, some do not. Most are very small cars. It's about 8 miles, which will take you at least 1/2 hour depending on day of the week. You will be tendered in. Depending on time of day, traffic will be heavy from Amador Causeway to Casco Viejo, since the Bridge of the America's traffic feeds into the same road you'll take to Casco Viejo. Allow plenty of time to get back, since traffic gets heavy going over the bridge by 1:30 or 2pm.  

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 3:16 PM, travelerchris said:

Yes there will be taxis. Some have a/c, some do not. Most are very small cars. It's about 8 miles, which will take you at least 1/2 hour depending on day of the week. You will be tendered in. Depending on time of day, traffic will be heavy from Amador Causeway to Casco Viejo, since the Bridge of the America's traffic feeds into the same road you'll take to Casco Viejo. Allow plenty of time to get back, since traffic gets heavy going over the bridge by 1:30 or 2pm.  

Thank you so much for your guidance. We wondered it when we dock we might be able to find an English speaking cab driver to give us a tour of old city, modern Panama city,etc. as we have done in other ports. We do not want a canal visit just city touring. Can't seem to find a private guide who is available and the ships tours are very expensive.

VERY few of the “yellow taxi” drivers speak good English. Just so you know. You may want to “interview” the person first! Also, taxi fares are regulated. It should be 4.00 to Casco Viejo. HOWEVER, They will look at you as a rich Gringo. And tell you 15-20 dollars. Realistically speaking even with current gas prices, it shouldn’t be more than 7.50. But you need to speak Spanish to negotiate. If you don’t, accept no higher than 10.00. (Diez dolares) That is way higher than what they would normally get.if they start talking Balboas to confuse you, just know they don’ Print Balboas. They use the US Dollars. Quarters, nickels and dimes are the same. They have a dollar coin. They will try to give that to you. Try not to accept it. You can’t spend it in the US. It’s a pretty coin. Never tip over 10%. Taxi drivers are not tipped. Although they may expect it because you are rich. 🙄 Have fun. 

Edited by travelerchris
Typo

On 9/8/2019 at 9:28 PM, travelerchris said:

VERY few of the “yellow taxi” drivers speak good English. Just so you know. You may want to “interview” the person first! Also, taxi fares are regulated. It should be 4.00 to Casco Viejo. HOWEVER, They will look at you as a rich Gringo. And tell you 15-20 dollars. Realistically speaking even with current gas prices, it shouldn’t be more than 7.50. But you need to speak Spanish to negotiate. If you don’t, accept no higher than 10.00. (Diez dolares) That is way higher than what they would normally get.if they start talking Balboas to confuse you, just know they don’ Print Balboas. They use the US Dollars. Quarters, nickels and dimes are the same. They have a dollar coin. They will try to give that to you. Try not to accept it. You can’t spend it in the US. It’s a pretty coin. Never tip over 10%. Taxi drivers are not tipped. Although they may expect it because you are rich. 🙄 Have fun. 

Thank you for your wonderful advice. Would you happen to know of any private tour operators that might be available on Oct 2? We usually do private tours if we don’t think we can sightsee on our own. Since we don’t speak Spanish, I feel we will be at a disadvantage here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you know, I answered your question on 9-13. Haven't been on CC since. Just got on and had a warning that I can't recommend anybody and had to click "agree". They removed my post. I didn't know that was a rule, but it's their website. So just know, I answered you. I am not a flake. 

No

6 hours ago, travelerchris said:

Just so you know, I answered your question on 9-13. Haven't been on CC since. Just got on and had a warning that I can't recommend anybody and had to click "agree". They removed my post. I didn't know that was a rule, but it's their website. So just know, I answered you. I am not a flake. 

No worries, I did get your message. Have been slowly communicating with Marc. Hope it will work out for our visit. Really appreciate all your help!

Eileen

We are doing a full transit in January and and have a full day in port (Fuerta Amador) before we do.  Most of our group of 4 opted out of the Indians or monkey tours.  Our plan is to cab into Casco Veijo in the am on a Monday; after a few hours of exploring, get a cab to the Mira Flores Museum, eat an early supper there and watch ships go through; the cab back to port.  I also really want to experience a roof top bar that night,  but not sure on timing.  Must be in bed by 10pm as we leave port to start through canal at 4 am.  Does this all make sense, time wise?

Can't really say if it is good time wise...  Is 10PM all aboard time or just the time you want to call it a day?  Where is the rooftop bar located?  What time are you planning to be ashore?  Watching ships a Miraflores Locks is doable, just be aware that on many days from anywhere between 11AM to 2PM can be a slack time at Miraflores Locks for ships.  It is not always every day or exactly those times, but something to consider. 

What ship are you on that starts journey to transit at 0400?  Unless the ship is doing a night transit (very unpopular with passengers...) they are not going to start their move until after daylight.  I am currently sitting at my computer waiting for Island Princess to make her move toward Miraflores Locks at about 0730 and expect by the time she starts to move until she gets into the first lock to be another two hours.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

31 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

What ship are you on that starts journey to transit at 0400?  Unless the ship is doing a night transit (very unpopular with passengers...) they are not going to start their move until after daylight.  I am currently sitting at my computer waiting for Island Princess to make her move toward Miraflores Locks at about 0730 and expect by the time she starts to move until she gets into the first lock to be another two hours.  EM

Hate quoting myself...But I see that she is spending the day at Fuerte Amador, so I guess my vigil will restart tomorrow...  EM

There is the Emerald Princess and one of the boutique cruise lines (Ponant) have a Monday transit in January.  I am sure the Princess ship will be daylight transit using the new locks, but have seen a number of the smaller ships make a transit with some of the transit during the dark.

Nothing wrong in quoting yourself... at least you can trust the info!  lol!

Your daylight transit won't begin before 6am. You are leaving Amador at 4am, go around the island, get in line at the canal. You can easily get up 5:30. They'll have coffee and pastries on most cruise lines. There is a "down time" between 11:00 and 2:pm. The lanes run one way in the morning, the other way in the afternoon. Miraflores cafe is OK food wise and fun to sit on their balcony with a beer.

Catsngoats, You mentioned "rooftop bar". Those are in Casco Viejo, not Amador. However, if you like Italian food Alberto's isn't too bad. We like to sit there and watch the boats in the Marina. Personally I would go to the locks first and then go to Casco Viejo in the evening. There are an amazing amount of good restaurants there. Amador has decent restaurants, not amazing. Tantalos has a rooftop bar as does Capital Bistro and Gatto Blanco. I've been to all and liked them. Not cheap, but good and great views of the city. 

We are doing a partial Panama Cruise on Princess . We are taking the tour Panama Canal railway and new locks of the Canal expansion.

One of the stops is Fort Amador and it says time spent there is 45 minutes .my question is why are we stopping there and what is there to do there?

The actual itinerary says :depart the pier and transfer to the new locks which takes 30 minutes on a bus and then we visit the new locks for one hour. Then we board a bus for 45 minutes to the train. Ride the train to Panama City which is one hour on the train. After we get off the train we’re going to get onto a bus and it’s gonna take 30 minutes to get to Fort Amador. After the 45 minute visit at Fort Amador we’re going to get on a bus and return to the pier and it’s gonna take an hour and a half. 

it also says  some of the bus transportation does not have a restroom on board. Anyone have insight on this especially the hour and a half return to the pier 

Julie