Fuerte Amador-Panama City

CarolandNate

Fuerte Amador is where ships come in on the Pacific side. I assume you’ll be coming into Colon which is on the Caribbean side. The train leaves from there and goes to the city. The drive from the city to Colon is about 1 1/2 hrs, if all goes well. 

23 minutes ago, travelerchris said:

Fuerte Amador is where ships come in on the Pacific side. I assume you’ll be coming into Colon which is on the Caribbean side. The train leaves from there and goes to the city. The drive from the city to Colon is about 1 1/2 hrs, if all goes well. 

I kind of understand your response. But our ship will not be coming to the fort Amador area. We’re doing the partial transit.

Yes I understand the drive from the fort back to the ship in Colon  is 1.5 hours if all goes well.

My actual question is why are we going to Fort Amador and we’re spending 45 minutes there ?  What is there to do for 45 minutes?  There is no explanation on the tour of why we are traveling by bus to Fort Amador which takes 30 minutes from the time we get off the train. 

Thanks.

The ride to Ft. Amador is primarily scenic, gives you a great view of the Panama City Skyline, the Pacific entrance to the Canal and the various islands in the bay  At the end of the Ft. Amador Causeway there are lots of eateries and places to shop if you are not taking in the view.  As far as the trip back to Colon there is a pretty convenient local version of a Love's or Pilot service plaza about halfway that I'm sure could be used if needed.  The drive back to Colon should also offer somewhat an alternate view of the countryside that's different from what you saw on the train trip.

5 hours ago, BillB48 said:

The ride to Ft. Amador is primarily scenic, gives you a great view of the Panama City Skyline, the Pacific entrance to the Canal and the various islands in the bay  At the end of the Ft. Amador Causeway there are lots of eateries and places to shop if you are not taking in the view.  As far as the trip back to Colon there is a pretty convenient local version of a Love's or Pilot service plaza about halfway that I'm sure could be used if needed.  The drive back to Colon should also offer somewhat an alternate view of the countryside that's different from what you saw on the train trip.

So the 45 minutes that we stop at Fort Amador is to get off the bus to look at the scenery and hopefully use the bathroom/ facilities because the 1.5 hour bus ride back may not have those facilities.( the description says no restroom) Does not say we get or can stop at  a Love’s/ Pilot version on the way back to the ship. I know “ they” can’t describe everything,but ....... The tour description definitely doesn’t say that we can eat or shop at Ft. Amador for 45 min. 

By the way I believe after getting off the train, that Ft. Amador Is 30 minutes the opposite way of where we really need to go to get back to the ship, so that’s why I asked what’s in FA to see or do.

Thanks.

i guess so far “ people” that have been on this tour are not seeing my post?

i will try to do an in depth report once my cruise commences.

Julie

4 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

So the 45 minutes that we stop at Fort Amador is to get off the bus to look at the scenery and hopefully use the bathroom/ facilities because the 1.5 hour bus ride back may not have those facilities.( the description says no restroom) Does not say we get or can stop at  a Love’s/ Pilot version on the way back to the ship. I know “ they” can’t describe everything,but ....... The tour description definitely doesn’t say that we can eat or shop at Ft. Amador for 45 min. 

By the way I believe after getting off the train, that Ft. Amador Is 30 minutes the opposite way of where we really need to go to get back to the ship, so that’s why I asked what’s in FA to see or do.

Thanks.

i guess so far “ people” that have been on this tour are not seeing my post?

i will try to do an in depth report once my cruise commences.

Julie

I was last out to the islands at the end of the Ft. Amador Causeway a few months ago, although not part of an excursion.  With everything that is out there I would be very surprised if there wasn't some sort of public facilities available before you head back to the Atlantic side, but I can't' speak with any certainty.  I mentioned the service plaza on the road because I know it is a popular rest stop on the way to the Pacific side that the excursions utilize it frequently.

Ft. Amador and the causeway are in the opposite direction, but I think the trip out there is worth it.  Actually the causeway you drive on to the offshore islands was made from the spoils taken from Gaillard Cut during construction, so you will be ridding on some history😀.  I think if they spun you right around and sent you back to Colon it might seem like a rather short tour.

No, there probably not that many people seeing your questions that would be in a position to give any info.  This particular forum is mostly visited be people seeking information prior to their cruise and most of the time don't return to close the loop.  Maybe someone in your roll call may have taken the tour and can shed some light?  Don't want to add to your list of unknowns, but I am aware that sometimes they run this excursion in reverse order.  Let me offer you a tip on the better side of the train to sit.  Assuming the the train portion of the excursion will be Atlantic to Pacific, sit on the right side of the coach in the direction you will be heading.  The right side will provide best chances to see the Canal, which often times is in the distance. Of course if you go Pacific to Atlantic, then swap sides.  Don't worry, not many people will see this either!!

Edited by BillB48

Yes there are "facilities" in the building where the Duty Free and some of the restaurants are. I also think it's worth it to go to the end of Amador and see the islands,  the old base, and restaurants. I live in Panama. Like Bill B. says, I haven't taken the excursion either, so I'm not familiar with the excursion aspect. He is correct with the seating on the train. Coming from Colon to Amador sit on the right side of the train. If you sit on the left, you'll see mostly jungle. I hope you'll have a good time. 

Thanks for all the information . I guess I will report back either in my review, a live from, or on this site once I have traveled what actually happens. I’m very through, I take notes as it happens.

As far as the roll call,it’s very quiet. I don’t think anyone has been on a Panama Canal Cruise, we are all first timers.

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

• 1 month later...

I’m reporting back. We ended up not going to Ft. Amador for the view of Panama City as our train needed to push another train and we were delayed back to the station. We even got credit to our shipboard accounts and didn’t know until we looked at our  Account only a couple days before the cruise was ending. That was a very nice surprise . We had a great train tour/bus tour to the new locks overlook Aqua Clara which overlooked our ship that had just come through the old locks .pretty much we went from the Atlantic side to the Pacific side on the train really can’t see a lot per say on the train but going that direction we sat on the right side which is a booth with a table for four people  & on the other side is 2 chairs And a table. It was raining most of the train trip so there is a covered outside portion which was nice to take photos because the windows did not make great photos in the rain. Our tour guide was excellent. Only thing we didn’t get to do was to see the movie at the new locks there just didn’t seem to be enough time and too many people lined up for it. So don’t know what that was really all about maybe the making of the new lock? We did not find the tour to be too long. We received snack boxes on the train and could buy very inexpensive sodas which was very nice they did not price gouge at all. And you could sample some local coffee complementary. Once we got off the train and on the bus for the ride back to the port we were given a Subway sandwich and a bottle of water. 

Edited by arizonaperson

Less than a month away and I am guessing that many, if not most, have booked their excursions.  I want to present something a bit different for our day in Huatulco.  It is called Wahaca Cooking.  It is an opportunity to not only eat some local food, but shop and cook it as well.  It is run by Alfredo Ramirez, who owns what Trip Advisor rates as the top restaurant in La Crucecita.

After getting picked up at 9:00 from the ship, we will go to La Crucecita to shop for the food we will prepare.  Then we head to his school near the Copalita River for the class.  In addition to cooking (and of course eating), Alfredo will tell us what it was like growing up there.  This will last until 1:30 or so, where we will be taken back to the ship.

So far, Carol and I, as far as we know, are the only ones signed up.  He can handle up to 12 people.  We got to pick the menu, so we opted for this shop and cook.  He will likely shop for some kind of seafood.  In the class we will make tortillas and moles as well as preparing the main dish and accompanying side dishes.

The cost is $95 per person and he does not charge until the day of the class.  He takes plastic.

Their website is: https://wahacacooking.mx/   Their email address is wahacacooking@hotmail.com

There is also a youtube video from 2018   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35XpZ2z2SnQ

So if  you are up for a little "work" and a cultural experience, we would love to have some people from the cruise join us.

8 hours ago, CarolandNate said:

Less than a month away and I am guessing that many, if not most, have booked their excursions.  I want to present something a bit different for our day in Huatulco.  It is called Wahaca Cooking.  It is an opportunity to not only eat some local food, but shop and cook it as well.  It is run by Alfredo Ramirez, who owns what Trip Advisor rates as the top restaurant in La Crucecita.

After getting picked up at 9:00 from the ship, we will go to La Crucecita to shop for the food we will prepare.  Then we head to his school near the Copalita River for the class.  In addition to cooking (and of course eating), Alfredo will tell us what it was like growing up there.  This will last until 1:30 or so, where we will be taken back to the ship.

So far, Carol and I, as far as we know, are the only ones signed up.  He can handle up to 12 people.  We got to pick the menu, so we opted for this shop and cook.  He will likely shop for some kind of seafood.  In the class we will make tortillas and moles as well as preparing the main dish and accompanying side dishes.

The cost is $95 per person and he does not charge until the day of the class.  He takes plastic.

Their website is: https://wahacacooking.mx/   Their email address is wahacacooking@hotmail.com

There is also a youtube video from 2018   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35XpZ2z2SnQ

So if  you are up for a little "work" and a cultural experience, we would love to have some people from the cruise join us.

This belongs on your cruise's roll call, not here.  Even if it were to stay posted on a port of call board it belongs on the Mexican Riviera board, not this board, which is the Panama Canal board.

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

This belongs on your cruise's roll call, not here.  Even if it were to stay posted on a port of call board it belongs on the Mexican Riviera board, not this board, which is the Panama Canal board.

Thought I posted this on the roll call.  My bad.  What did I do wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 2:13 AM, BillB48 said:

Can't really say if it is good time wise...  Is 10PM all aboard time or just the time you want to call it a day?  Where is the rooftop bar located?  What time are you planning to be ashore?  Watching ships a Miraflores Locks is doable, just be aware that on many days from anywhere between 11AM to 2PM can be a slack time at Miraflores Locks for ships.  It is not always every day or exactly those times, but something to consider. 

Sorry for the delay in my response, I check Boards most days and didn’t have a flag in my inbox for this.  Anyway, we are on Oceania Marina.  We dock at 8 am 1/13 at PA and leave port 4 am 1/14 to start full transit.  So 10 pm is our ‘curfew’ so we can be awake early.  I’m still researching whether  cab or the HOHO bus is better to get us to CV as soon as we are cleared to leave the ship in 1/13.  And yes, we will do the Miraflores museum later in the afternoon, already have supper reservations for 3 pm.  Hopefully by then ships are going through.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:24 AM, travelerchris said:

Catsngoats, You mentioned "rooftop bar". Those are in Casco Viejo, not Amador. However, if you like Italian food Alberto's isn't too bad. We like to sit there and watch the boats in the Marina. Personally I would go to the locks first and then go to Casco Viejo in the evening. There are an amazing amount of good restaurants there. Amador has decent restaurants, not amazing. Tantalos has a rooftop bar as does Capital Bistro and Gatto Blanco. I've been to all and liked them. Not cheap, but good and great views of the city. 

Thanks so much for these recommendations.  We have enough time to hopefully get a feel for CV both morning and evening.