25 October 2018 Thursday Weigh-in

pacruise804

Starting the thread for Belle and will make an attempt at an acronym style poem for her 🙂

Hunger pains can be scary - stay strong!

A lot of veggies can help keep it at bay without adding too many calories.

Love the fall flavors and foods, but

Lots of sweets and calories don't love me 😞 

Open your doors wide and

Welcome the trick or treaters (the more they get, the less you have as temptation)

Exercise whenever you can - even just a short walk helps.

Even if the scales were unkind this week:

Never Give Up👻

Edited by pacruise804
formating
  • Like 1

This was a pretty good week for me weight wise, surprisingly.  Down 1.4#

How is everyone doing with the challenge so far?

Here's the details if anyone missed it:

So let's begin our our quest to lose at least six pounds (hope for more)

From now 9-20.18 to 12-27-18..14 weeks!

Sorry we don't count today's loss, we start with today's weight.

Mark it down so you won't forget what you started at

I'm at 3.4 of 6# lost.  I had a few bad weeks but overall the numbers are in the right direction.

Last Saturday we did an evening 5K and the whole family did well.  Since then I've only managed strength training - need to get back at it🙄

Thanks for starting thread. Very nice post to start us out!

I have been absent a few weeks.  Recently, I lost 4, gained 2, lost 1, and then this week lost 1.4.  I think something was weird with the 4 lb loss in one week and then a 2 lb gain the next.  Anyway, fairly pleased for the moment. However, we are at the airport headed out for 15 day trip/ cruise so I know I will gain some. I plan to be “good” most of the time with a couple of “endulgences”.  

Stay strong everyone. 

• Like 1

It hasn't been my most successful week if I grade only by the scale, .8 pounds down since last Thursday, 8.8 down for the challenge period so far. I enjoyed meals of nutritious food eaten with family and friends, not calories wasted on fast food or mindless snacks. I am committed to reaching a healthy weight, but I'm not going to feel guilt over enjoying those moments.

I did not give up, the next day was back to eating as planned. And I am still on track with my long-term loss goal. I try not to use words like "good" or "bad" about my eating behaviors or food items. I wasn't "bad" when I enjoyed that meal, and those mashed potatoes weren't "bad." I just have to make sure I don't allow feeling as though I could have tried harder and lost more to send me back into the eating habits that got my weight to the unhealthy point!

My healthy eating haiku:

Enjoy small portions
Fail to plan and plan to fail
It is a long road

• Like 1

Nice losses Dave and Shellbelle 🙂

I agree with enjoying life but doing it wisely.  As long as they aren't foods that will harm you (like someone with Celiac eating gluten) I don't feel there are any "bad" foods either - just potentially bad portion sizes.

18 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Nice losses Dave and Shellbelle 🙂

I agree with enjoying life but doing it wisely.  As long as they aren't foods that will harm you (like someone with Celiac eating gluten) I don't feel there are any "bad" foods either - just potentially bad portion sizes.

Thanks Pacruise804, and good job Shell!

Hi Everyone,

Back from our trip. I stepped on the scale today. I gained 8 lbs over 6 weeks (35 days of it cruising). Not the worst. Hopefully I can lose some by next Thursday. 

Several losses posted. Congrats losers. 

I guess Belle left on her big trip. Hope she is having fun.

Diana

Hello from Greece. 10 hrs ahead of you all Greece the next 2 ports too.

Welcome back Diana. Did you have a good time?

Pacruise thanks for starting the post with a poem. Good loss.

Shell, Dane and Shell congrats on the losses. Keep them coming.

I'm trying NOT to EAT to much.

• Like 1

Booooo, stayed same at 207 this week. Went and toured a new gym that opened down the street, but wasn't feeling it. Nice but busy and lots of hardcore lifters - not my cup of tea. Going to go look at a Planet Fitness and see what it's like. 

Did a bunch of drumsticks this week - too much seasoning but good. Today I'm doing a full run through for a 13lb turkey. Brined for 18 hours, dried another 12.  Butter and salt-free seasoning under the skin and the same seasoning on the skin. Finished with an onion and garlic inside. Trying 250 degrees with applewood. 

Wish I was cruzin' though! 

IMG_20181027_063929-01.jpeg

IMG_20181025_160517-01.jpeg

55 minutes ago, shootr said:

Booooo, stayed same at 207 this week. Went and toured a new gym that opened down the street, but wasn't feeling it. Nice but busy and lots of hardcore lifters - not my cup of tea. Going to go look at a Planet Fitness and see what it's like. 

Did a bunch of drumsticks this week - too much seasoning but good. Today I'm doing a full run through for a 13lb turkey. Brined for 18 hours, dried another 12.  Butter and salt-free seasoning under the skin and the same seasoning on the skin. Finished with an onion and garlic inside. Trying 250 degrees with applewood. 

Just signed up at Planet Fitness cant beat the price...  153 days till we cruise so time to get er done.

• Like 2

Is it pretty casual - laid back like the commercials?  I just like to put on some headphones and do some cardio and some machine weights and not get bugged.  There's one a mile from the house, open 24hours, and $10/mo.  Going to stop by this afternoon or in the morning.

22 hours ago, shootr said:

How did the turkey turn out? We've done a turkey in the smoker, it turns out really good. I want the flavor of the traditional oven roasted bird for Thanksgiving though. 

I give it an "eh".  I pulled it at 165 degrees.  The skin was crisp, breast meat perfect.  The dark was only 170 degrees - safe to eat but not darker grey like I like.  I'll have to research to figure out how to keep cooking the dark up to 180 without ruining the white.

I brined it a day, dried it over night, and rubbed seasoning and butter under and seasoning only over the skin - no added salt because of the brining.  Basted the last hour with chicken stock and apple cider/vinegar spritz.  I think it still needed a little more salt so next time will use a rub with salt.  Still, got about 9-10 lbs. of good eating for the week.

Good to hear about Planet Fitness - didn't make it yesterday so will go this morning and see what mine's like.

turkey.jpeg

Edited by shootr

2 hours ago, shootr said:

I give it an "eh".  I pulled it at 165 degrees.  The skin was crisp, breast meat perfect.  The dark was only 170 degrees - safe to eat but not darker grey like I like.  I'll have to research to figure out how to keep cooking the dark up to 180 without ruining the white.

I brined it a day, dried it over night, and rubbed seasoning and butter under and seasoning only over the skin - no added salt because of the brining.  Basted the last hour with chicken stock and apple cider/vinegar spritz.  I think it still needed a little more salt so next time will use a rub with salt.  Still, got about 9-10 lbs. of good eating for the week.

Good to hear about Planet Fitness - didn't make it yesterday so will go this morning and see what mine's like.

When I roast a turkey I cover the breast with foil part way through to keep it from overcooking.  I don't know much about smoking so this might not work for you.  Brine does make the bird taste so much better, but I gave it up a few years ago since no one else noted a big difference and I wanted to simplify the meal some.

I hope Planet Fitness works well for you.

Hi all!

I'm a little late checking in but my news isn't good, I'm up 1.2 lbs so almost at the highest I've ever been with a 14 day cruise at the end of the week!!:classic_sad:

DIana ~ not a bad gain for such a long cruise!

shootr ~ those meats look yummy! I'll take that little dark drumstick in the corner please.😉

Belle ~ nice of you to drop in. Bet it's nice & warm in Greece unlike here where it's near freezing & we saw our first snow flakes yesterday!

Have a great week.

~ Jo~ 😊

10 hours ago, retiring soon said:

Hi all!

I'm a little late checking in but my news isn't good, I'm up 1.2 lbs so almost at the highest I've ever been with a 14 day cruise at the end of the week!!:classic_sad:

DIana ~ not a bad gain for such a long cruise!

shootr ~ those meats look yummy! I'll take that little dark drumstick in the corner please.😉

Belle ~ nice of you to drop in. Bet it's nice & warm in Greece unlike here where it's near freezing & we saw our first snow flakes yesterday!

Have a great week.

~ Jo~ 😊

What ship are you going on? We're also on a 14 days cruise at the end of the week (Carnival Pride)

Hi all!

cruises42 ~ no, I'm not on the Pride. I'm on the new NCL Bliss from San Pedro to Miami through the new Panama Canal.

Is your cruise a "Journeys" one? I'm doing one of those in Dec. '19 on Sunshine from Charleston & look forward to being on a Carnival ship once more.

DIana ~ yep sure is frustrating. When will I learn to make better food choices!!

I will let you know how I like Bliss. I've been on a few big ships but like smaller ones too.

Have a nice day.

~ Jo ~ 😊

Hi all ... Just got back from the gulf coast of Mississippi ... my niece got married - it was a wonderful wedding ... I don't think I gained any weight while we were gone ... DH & I did a lot of walking and I didn't eat too much (or drink a lot either) ... we will see on Thursday!  Jan

9 hours ago, retiring soon said:

Hi all!

cruises42 ~ no, I'm not on the Pride. I'm on the new NCL Bliss from San Pedro to Miami through the new Panama Canal.

Is your cruise a "Journeys" one? I'm doing one of those in Dec. '19 on Sunshine from Charleston & look forward to being on a Carnival ship once more.

DIana ~ yep sure is frustrating. When will I learn to make better food choices!!

I will let you know how I like Bliss. I've been on a few big ships but like smaller ones too.

Have a nice day.

~ Jo ~ 😊

Yes, it's my first Journey cruise. Have you ever done one before?

Hi all!

cruises42 ~ no never done a Journeys cruise so look forward to hearing what you thought of it.

Belle ~ nice of you to check in. I saw Kotor for the 1st time in June & thought it beautiful, especially the sail in which we luckily enough did during the day. It was more than warm then, more like hot as Hades!!

See you tomorrow morning. I have a chocolate bar sitting beside me should I or shouldn't I?!!

~ Jo ~ 😊

• Like 1