25 October 2018 Thursday Weigh-in

pacruise804

Starting the thread for Belle and will make an attempt at an acronym style poem for her šŸ™‚

Ā 

Hunger pains can be scary - stay strong!

A lot of veggies can help keep it at bay without adding too many calories.

Love the fall flavors and foods, but

Lots of sweets and calories don't love me šŸ˜žĀ 

Open your doors wide and

Welcome the trick or treaters (the more they get, the less you have as temptation)

Exercise whenever you can - even just a short walk helps.

Even if the scales were unkind this week:

Never Give UpšŸ‘»

Edited by pacruise804
formating
  • Like 1

This was a pretty good week for me weight wise, surprisingly.Ā  Down 1.4#

Ā 

How is everyone doing with the challenge so far?

Here's the details if anyone missed it:

So let's begin our our quest to lose at least six pounds (hope for more)

From now 9-20.18 to 12-27-18..14 weeks!

Sorry we don't count today's loss, we start with today's weight.

Mark it down so you won't forget what you started at

Ā 

I'm at 3.4 of 6# lost.Ā  I had a few bad weeks but overall the numbers are in the right direction.

Ā 

Last Saturday we did an evening 5K and the whole family did well.Ā  Since then I've only managed strength training - need to get back at itšŸ™„

Thanks for starting thread. Very nice post to start usĀ out!

I have been absent a few weeks. Ā Recently, I lost 4, gained 2, lost 1, and then this week lost 1.4. Ā I think something was weird with the 4 lb loss in one week and then a 2 lb gain the next. Ā Anyway, fairly pleased for the moment. However, we are at the airport headed out for 15 day trip/ cruise so I know I will gain some. I plan to be ā€œgoodā€ most of the time with a couple of ā€œendulgencesā€. Ā 

Ā 

Stay strong everyone.Ā 

• Like 1

It hasn't been my most successful week if I grade only by the scale, .8 pounds down since last Thursday, 8.8 down for the challenge period so far. I enjoyed meals of nutritiousĀ food eaten with family and friends, not calories wasted on fast food or mindless snacks. I am committed to reaching a healthy weight, but I'm not going to feel guilt over enjoying those moments.

I did not give up, the next day was back to eating as planned. And I am still on track with my long-term loss goal.Ā I try not to use words like "good" or "bad" about my eating behaviorsĀ or food items. I wasn't "bad" when I enjoyed that meal, and those mashed potatoes weren't "bad."Ā I just have to make sure I don't allow feeling as though I could have tried harder and lost more to sendĀ me back into the eating habits that got my weight to theĀ unhealthy point!

Ā 

My healthy eating haiku:

Enjoy small portions
Fail to plan and plan to fail
It is a long road

Ā 

• Like 1

Nice losses Dave and Shellbelle šŸ™‚

Ā 

I agree with enjoying life but doing it wisely.Ā  As long as they aren't foods that will harm you (like someone with Celiac eating gluten) I don't feel there are any "bad" foods either - just potentially bad portion sizes.

18 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Nice losses Dave and Shellbelle šŸ™‚

Ā 

I agree with enjoying life but doing it wisely.Ā  As long as they aren't foods that will harm you (like someone with Celiac eating gluten) I don't feel there are any "bad" foods either - just potentially bad portion sizes.

Thanks Pacruise804, and good job Shell!

Hi Everyone,

Ā 

Back from our trip. I stepped on the scale today. I gained 8 lbs over 6 weeks (35 days of it cruising). Not the worst. Hopefully I can lose some by next Thursday.Ā 

Ā 

Several losses posted. Congrats losers.Ā 

Ā 

I guess Belle left on her big trip. Hope she is having fun.

Ā 

Diana

Hello from Greece. 10 hrs ahead of you all Greece the next 2 ports too.

Ā Welcome back Diana. Did you have a good time?

Pacruise thanks for starting the post with a poem. Good loss.

Shell, Dane and Shell congrats on the losses. Keep them coming.

Ā 

I'm trying NOT to EAT to much.

• Like 1

Booooo, stayed same at 207 this week. Went and toured a new gym that opened down the street, but wasn't feeling it. Nice but busy and lots of hardcore lifters - not my cup of tea. Going to go look at a Planet Fitness and see what it's like.Ā 

Ā 

Did a bunch of drumsticks this week - too much seasoning but good. Today I'm doing a full run through for a 13lb turkey. Brined for 18 hours, dried another 12.Ā  Butter and salt-free seasoning under the skin and the same seasoning on the skin. Finished with an onion and garlic inside. Trying 250 degrees with applewood.Ā 

Ā 

Wish I was cruzin' though!Ā 

IMG_20181027_063929-01.jpeg

IMG_20181025_160517-01.jpeg

55 minutes ago, shootr said:

Booooo, stayed same at 207 this week. Went and toured a new gym that opened down the street, but wasn't feeling it. Nice but busy and lots of hardcore lifters - not my cup of tea. Going to go look at a Planet Fitness and see what it's like.Ā 

Ā 

Did a bunch of drumsticks this week - too much seasoning but good. Today I'm doing a full run through for a 13lb turkey. Brined for 18 hours, dried another 12.Ā  Butter and salt-free seasoning under the skin and the same seasoning on the skin. Finished with an onion and garlic inside. Trying 250 degrees with applewood.Ā 

Ā 

Just signed up at Planet Fitness cant beat the price...Ā  153 days till we cruise so time to get er done.

• Like 2

Is it pretty casual - laid back like the commercials?Ā  I just like to put on some headphones and do some cardio and some machine weights and not get bugged.Ā  There's one a mile from the house, open 24hours, and $10/mo.Ā  Going to stop by this afternoon or in the morning.

22 hours ago, shootr said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

How did the turkey turn out? We've done a turkey in the smoker, it turns out really good. I want the flavor of the traditional oven roasted bird for Thanksgiving though.Ā 

I give it an "eh".Ā  I pulled it at 165 degrees.Ā  The skin was crisp, breast meat perfect.Ā  The dark was only 170 degrees - safe to eat but not darker grey like I like.Ā  I'll have to research to figure out how to keep cooking the dark up to 180 without ruining the white.

Ā 

I brined it a day, dried it over night, and rubbed seasoning and butter under and seasoning only over the skin - no added salt because of the brining.Ā  Basted the last hour with chicken stock and apple cider/vinegar spritz.Ā  I think it still needed a little more salt so next time will use a rub with salt.Ā  Still, got about 9-10 lbs. of good eating for the week.

Ā 

Good to hear about Planet Fitness - didn't make it yesterday so will go this morning and see what mine's like.

turkey.jpeg

Edited by shootr

2 hours ago, shootr said:

I give it an "eh".Ā  I pulled it at 165 degrees.Ā  The skin was crisp, breast meat perfect.Ā  The dark was only 170 degrees - safe to eat but not darker grey like I like.Ā  I'll have to research to figure out how to keep cooking the dark up to 180 without ruining the white.

Ā 

I brined it a day, dried it over night, and rubbed seasoning and butter under and seasoning only over the skin - no added salt because of the brining.Ā  Basted the last hour with chicken stock and apple cider/vinegar spritz.Ā  I think it still needed a little more salt so next time will use a rub with salt.Ā  Still, got about 9-10 lbs. of good eating for the week.

Ā 

Good to hear about Planet Fitness - didn't make it yesterday so will go this morning and see what mine's like.

Ā 

When I roast a turkey I cover the breast with foil part way through to keep it from overcooking.Ā  I don't know much about smoking so this might not work for you.Ā  Brine does make the bird taste so much better, but I gave it up a few years ago since no one else noted a big difference and I wanted to simplify the meal some.

Ā 

I hope Planet Fitness works well for you.

Hi all!

Ā 

I'm a little late checking in but my news isn't good, I'm up 1.2 lbs so almost at the highest I've ever been with a 14 day cruise at the end of the week!!:classic_sad:

Ā 

DIana ~ not a bad gain for such a long cruise!

Ā 

shootr ~ those meats look yummy! I'll take that little dark drumstick in the corner please.šŸ˜‰

Ā 

Belle ~ nice of you to drop in. Bet it's nice & warm in Greece unlike here where it's near freezing & we saw our first snow flakes yesterday!

Ā 

Have a great week.

Ā 

~ Jo~ šŸ˜Š

10 hours ago, retiring soon said:

Hi all!

Ā 

I'm a little late checking in but my news isn't good, I'm up 1.2 lbs so almost at the highest I've ever been with a 14 day cruise at the end of the week!!:classic_sad:

Ā 

DIana ~ not a bad gain for such a long cruise!

Ā 

shootr ~ those meats look yummy! I'll take that little dark drumstick in the corner please.šŸ˜‰

Ā 

Belle ~ nice of you to drop in. Bet it's nice & warm in Greece unlike here where it's near freezing & we saw our first snow flakes yesterday!

Ā 

Have a great week.

Ā 

~ Jo~ šŸ˜Š

What ship are you going on? We're also on a 14 days cruise at the end of the week (Carnival Pride)

Hi all!

Ā 

cruises42 ~ no, I'm not on the Pride. I'm on the new NCL Bliss from San Pedro to Miami through the new Panama Canal.

Is your cruise a "Journeys" one? I'm doing one of those in Dec. '19 on Sunshine from Charleston & look forward to being on a Carnival ship once more.

Ā 

DIana ~ yep sure is frustrating. When will I learn to make better food choices!!

I will let you know how I like Bliss. I've been on a few big ships but like smaller ones too.

Ā 

Have a nice day.

Ā 

~ Jo ~ šŸ˜Š

Hi all ... Just got back from the gulf coast of Mississippi ... my niece got married - it was a wonderful wedding ... I don't think I gained any weight while we were gone ... DH & I did a lot of walking and I didn't eat too much (or drink a lot either) ... we will see on Thursday!Ā  Jan

9 hours ago, retiring soon said:

Hi all!

Ā 

cruises42 ~ no, I'm not on the Pride. I'm on the new NCL Bliss from San Pedro to Miami through the new Panama Canal.

Is your cruise a "Journeys" one? I'm doing one of those in Dec. '19 on Sunshine from Charleston & look forward to being on a Carnival ship once more.

Ā 

DIana ~ yep sure is frustrating. When will I learn to make better food choices!!

I will let you know how I like Bliss. I've been on a few big ships but like smaller ones too.

Ā 

Have a nice day.

Ā 

~ Jo ~ šŸ˜Š

Yes, it's my first Journey cruise. Have you ever done one before?

Hi all!

Ā 

cruises42 ~ no never done a Journeys cruise so look forward to hearing what you thought of it.

Ā 

Belle ~ nice of you to check in. I saw Kotor for the 1st time in June & thought it beautiful, especially the sail in which we luckily enough did during the day. It was more than warm then, more like hot as Hades!!

Ā 

See you tomorrow morning. I have a chocolate bar sitting beside me should I or shouldn't I?!!

Ā 

~ Jo ~ šŸ˜Š

• Like 1