Gratuity

IMDINA1201

20 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I like the system, much easier than the envelopes on the last night, it’s not costing me any more having it added automatically. 

What I meant by nobody liking the current system is that the crew should be paid a decent wage by the cruise lines instead of having them depend upon tips.  No daily gratuities.  No envelopes.  No worries about how much of a tip to leave.  We could if we wish add a tip for extra services rendered but we would not have to.

I know that this would raise the price of the cruise but it would also force the people who do not pay gratuities because they claim that they do not believe in tipping to pay their fair share of the cruise cost.  Basically, the non-tippers are freeloaders.

DON

I prefer to pay up front, then it's done.

These tips are divided up, and some goes to people who you will never see.

We always give a good bartender a little extra on the first day, and then a little here and there and we have a good bartender for the remaining time on the ship.

If you feel your cabin attendant has gone above and beyond, it is nice to give them something extra towards the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Screwing the crew and then rationalizing that you are really helping them is what is never the right thing to do.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to a opinion. What you are not entitled to is to try to make everyone follow your opinion.  The way I see it paying the DSC is empowering the cruise lines to enslave the crews. The crew should get on the ship knowing if they do the job they will be paid a fair wage, and not need to relay on the guests paying extra money to make that happen.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 9:27 PM, Expat Cruise said:

It is not the guests job to pay the salaries of the behind the scene people.  

Says who?  You?  Sorry, but that is not the way it works.  Their lines, their ships, their rules.  Don't like it?  Book a more expensive line with gratuities included.  Now, there is something that is your choice.

2 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Says who?  You?  Sorry, but that is not the way it works.  Their lines, their ships, their rules.  Don't like it?  Book a more expensive line with gratuities included.  Now, there is something that is your choice.

Or do what they allow you to do under their rules and opt out.

that too is YOUR choice, for as long as their rules allow it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

And by their rules and the revenue department because of how they want to account for these fees they are optional fees.  My choice is to not pay these optional fees and nothing anyone can do to stop me and many other guests from doing exactly that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

And by their rules and the revenue department because of how they want to account for these fees they are optional fees.  My choice is to not pay these optional fees and nothing anyone can do to stop me and many other guests from doing exactly that. 

Translation: you’re cheap. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Translation: you’re cheap. 

You are confessed, it is not cheap but educated and understand the meaning of words, terms and contacts. And since only 52% of the CC board members polled agree with DSC I am in good company with the smarter half of the members.

39 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

You are confessed, it is not cheap but educated and understand the meaning of words, terms and contacts. And since only 52% of the CC board members polled agree with DSC I am in good company with the smarter half of the members.

Translation: you’re cheap and you have no shortage of excuses to support being cheap. 

• Like 3

Agreed. Cheap. We may not like the system but we follow along with it so the workers are paid. It's not perfect but I don't mind helping those that help me. 

And I'll bet not one of those people working on the ship were forced into it by Royal. So "enslave" them? Don't think so. They do good work. I'll help em out. 

Keep up with the rationalization if it helps you. Personally I feel sorry for those who help you on the ship. 

Edited by dwayneb236
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Your rationale might have more legs if you didn’t use the service. If you advocated for better wages for crew by not traveling on ships. 

But...you travel and enjoy all the amenities, knowing full well that the crew aren’t all paid a living wage....and your form of protest is to punish the little guy?

This absolutely translates to ‘cheap’. Among other things. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

That is your opinion and you are entitled to a opinion. What you are not entitled to is to try to make everyone follow your opinion.  The way I see it paying the DSC is empowering the cruise lines to enslave the crews. The crew should get on the ship knowing if they do the job they will be paid a fair wage, and not need to relay on the guests paying extra money to make that happen.

Yeah, everyone believes that your cheapness stems from your pure altruistic motives to help the crew by screwing them.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

So in your "they should be paid better wage" protest, your choice is to not pay them at all.  That's just lovely.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2018 at 12:18 PM, GUT2407 said:

Hey I don’t earn enough all of you send me some of your tips my way.

seems the main justification for tipping is that people are paid low wages.

Tips are part of the wages.  It is an incentive pay system.  Happy customer means more $$.   Agree or not, that is the system.  Until it changes we should abide by it.   

Then there are those that feign some moral high ground to avoid paying tips.  

On 11/16/2018 at 3:07 AM, Expat Cruise said:

Blowing smoke.  If tipping stopped tomorrow what do you think would  happen to your cruise fare in order to provide that living wage you care so much about.  Yep, fares will go up.  Save on the backs of the crew now while you can because if you get what you say you want, then you won't have an excuse or option to reduce your fare by $12/day.  

BTW, because you have only their best interest in heart, I suppose you are telling the crew up front that you are not going to be paying the daily gratuity.  But of course you are not.  

9 minutes ago, Seadog & Sea Hag said:

Tips should be hidden in the price of the cruise as they are on Australian & NZ cruises and then there isn’t even a topic to discuss. JMHO 

Interesting.   I've been on a New Zealand/Australian cruise and paid gratuities.  Do you mean they are hidden for folks from Australia & New Zealand?  

No judgement, I'm just curious -- when you book one of these cruises with the "hidden" tips, do you have any option to reduce the tip?  

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Interesting.   I've been on a New Zealand/Australian cruise and paid gratuities.  Do you mean they are hidden for folks from Australia & New Zealand?  

No judgement, I'm just curious -- when you book one of these cruises with the "hidden" tips, do you have any option to reduce the tip?  

Yes, hidden from us and no option to reduce 

On our cruise from Australia, the tips were included in the cruise fare.

Many cruises on British Lines also have tips included in the fare. P&O did try to introduce the tip policy, but it was a failure, so it is being reverted next year.

Our next cruise, a 2020 WC on Viking also has the tips included in the fare.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 9:31 PM, Expat Cruise said:

Well by a poll here on Cruisecritic only 52% of the people polled agree with the DSC charges, so I guess I'm in good company with the 48% that do not agree with them. Again if you want to pay them go ago but nothing anyone can do to change what others do.

From Email :  The Truth About Tipping on a Cruise

"What Our Members Say: In a poll taken on Cruise Critic's message boards about auto-gratuities, 52 percent of more than 3,700 respondents said they appreciate the convenience of auto-tipping on a cruise."

What you quoted from CruiseCritic states 52% appreciate convenience - not that they agree or disagree with the charges. Apparently 48% don't appreciate the convenience, but that doesn't mean they don't agree with extending gratuities - just that they either don't find it convenient or appreciate the convenience.

Because I live in a region where those in service often receive gratuities (restaurant - where minimum wage is lower due to expected tips, hair salon, taxi, etc) and because I heard about tipping on cruise ships from friends or acquaintances who cruised, I expected tipping to be an expense of cruising.  I've also seen many restaurants with a model that large parties have an automatic gratuity added - even if the checks are split - so again, the DSC doesn't phase me. I do appreciate the convenience, but have only cruised since it was in place.  Maybe if I was from a culture that doesn't extend gratuities I would feel differently.