New Club Orange

Crew News

59 minutes ago, leerathje said:

We just got off the Koningsdam...my sister in law was EXTEMELY disappointed, as she was really looking forward to America's Test Kitchen, which is where the Club Orange is now. They did ATK in the World Stage, but the setup was bad, and no participation by audience members. She said the new ATK made it hard to see the kitchen set up. Sad that it's been turned into one more "pay to play" venue.

The stupid thing is it already was a sort of pay to play. They charged for meals there in the evening. And they charged for cooking classes. I suppose if people really want to spend $50 per day to eat in a glass box, it could make more money than it did as ATK.

On 10/25/2018 at 1:44 PM, OlsSalt said:

Will Club Orange suffer the same fate as 5 star perks - often there are so many 5 stars onboard some of the Mariner perks are rendered useless.  Or will this Club Orange perk supercede 5 star priority tender etc?

We just got off K-Dam club orange was never crowded

On 1/4/2019 at 1:14 AM, twodjs said:

Crusinsusan2, you need to understand that the "hate it" feeling is not just about the OC restaurant, but about the way Orange Club was created. Perks like priority tenders and priority boarding and other perks reserved for loyalty (unless you are in a Neptune Suite) were goals that Mariners have cruised for many years to achieve. It took us 20 years to reach 4 star status, and HAL thanked us by giving us those perks. Other Mariners may have cruised for thirty years or more before reaching that level. Now HAL turns around and starts giving away those loyalty perks to anyone who joins Orange Club for $50 a day. ANYONE! That is a slap in the face of any loyal Mariner and undermines their loyalty program. Also consider the room service menu that was reserved exclusively for Neptune Suites is now given to Orange Club members. So no longer exclusive. Frustrating 😠 Other cruise lines offer exclusive restaurants to their Suite guests. HAL, in their infinite wisdom, chose not to show Neptune Suite guests any respect, but instead gave an exclusive restaurant to Orange Club members. My gosh, even NCL gives their Suites a restaurant! HAL took away Pinnacle for our exclusive breakfast when we stay in a Neptune Suite, and are now invited to have breakfast in Orange Club. What are we...chopped liver?  Not even close to the very classy feel of Pinnacle. There are so many ways they could enhance the product that they offer to Suite guests and to higher star Mariners to keep their loyal followers. In my opinion, they have failed. That is why I hate Orange Club.

Dont worry about it theres no way its worth 50 bucks a day.We ate there 4 nights was never crowded.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:11 PM, Fredric22 said:

I just tried to book Club Orange for my April 7th cruise on the N.S. and was told that bookings for Club Orange are not available yet and they are only taking reservations out until January 13th.  Does this sound right?  Am I just supposed to wait until a week before my cruise and hope I can get it?  The rep said that I would receive some kind of e-mail notification telling me Club Orange is book-able.  Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Its not doing good maybe they are thinking of getting rid of it

• Like 1

Maybe not being crowded was the whole point of Club Orange? Many complain the main dining room is too noisy and too rushed. Now the complaints come in because Club Orange was not busy. Then add the complaints about the MDR looking like the inside of a whale skeleton to CO feeling like a fish bowl. Sail on.

CO is a one-off proposition and probably only a short-term experiment. It will live and die on its own merit. But HAL being pushed and pulled in two different directions at the same time by passenger feed-back, must be crazy making in Seattle. HAL has lost it way of late; but at least they are trying to find their new niche according to whatever is now driving them. 

Edited by OlsSalt

Club Orange as it stands now will probably not survive.  Poor value.

The CO dining room/open kitchen was a great venue for the winemaker's dinner we attended.

Keep the room and open kitchen and find a menu/cuisine that people are willing to pay for.  As it already has the kitchen installed how about staying open 24 hours with a contemporary menu with the best of the world's flavors?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HUNKY said:

The CO dining room/open kitchen was a great venue for the winemaker's dinner we attended.

We attended two Cellar Master Dinners there and much prefer the Pinnacle Grill.  The Club Orange space, in our view, is much too bright, has too much outside disturbance from the constant flow of people walking outside and staring into the "aquarium" and has totally uncomfortable high-top seating for most guests.  On the other hand, we also had two Cellar Master Dinners on the Koningsdam in the Tamarind and found those to be in an even a better location than the Pinnacle Grill.  

7 hours ago, HUNKY said:

Club Orange as it stands now will probably not survive.  Poor value.

Keep the room and open kitchen and find a menu/cuisine that people are willing to pay for.  As it already has the kitchen installed how about staying open 24 hours with a contemporary menu with the best of the world's flavors?

Great ideas.

2 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

We attended two Cellar Master Dinners there and much prefer the Pinnacle Grill.  The Club Orange space, in our view, is much too bright, has too much outside disturbance from the constant flow of people walking outside and staring into the "aquarium" and has totally uncomfortable high-top seating for most guests.  On the other hand, we also had two Cellar Master Dinners on the Koningsdam in the Tamarind and found those to be in an even a better location than the Pinnacle Grill.  

We really enjoyed the Cellar Master Dinner in Tamarind, too!  Really nice ambience.  We had a Premium Wine Tasting in Club Orange and found it rather uncomfortable.  But a Supervisor on NS said it was going to be a success!  We must give it time....  I think it should have more comfortable chairs and perhaps some draperies for a bit of privacy.

On 10/29/2018 at 11:13 AM, RocketMan275 said:

The "general cruise line experience" deteriorates because the cruise lines are trying to provide what many of their clienteles desires, a cruise at the lowest possible cost.  Suites Only exclusive areas allow the cruise lines to provide an upscale experience to those who are willing to pay for it while also providing the lowest possible experience for those who prefer that experience.

Does anyone feel like 'steerage class' on HAL  ships?

image.png.78398081ddd4065a675303bbcb02f327.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

On 10/25/2018 at 5:29 PM, Vict0riann said:

Well, if it is $50 per person for the entire cruise, then I think it would be worth it, in fact $50 seems low.  I took it to be per day.  Will have to check.

(We will be on the Nieuw Statendam - have not had any notification from HAL about it.)

I got something on it in the mail last week.  I was offered it on my upcoming Nieuw Statendam cruise late next month

Definitely $50 per person per day for the entire length of the cruise. I had read earlier that Club Orange had reached the end if its trial period. Surprised it is still being offered with all the negative responses from higher star Mariners and Suite guests (I was one of those opposed to the way the program was designed and implemented). We'll see if survives. 

30 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I don't think so. In the press release, no mention was made of access to Neptune Lounge for non-suite guests who pay $50 pp/pd for Club Orange.

No NL access- just Club Orange for dining and preferred boarding and tendering.  Also get the terry bathrobes

what were the menu choices? main dining is rather lackluster, so i'm hoping the food is better quality.  not interested in tenders or onboarding.  Deciding whether it's worth it or if i should stick to pay the , upcharge....  if you've done it would you do it again?

1 hour ago, sqrl18 said:

what were the menu choices? main dining is rather lackluster, so i'm hoping the food is better quality.  not interested in tenders or onboarding.  Deciding whether it's worth it or if i should stick to pay the , upcharge....  if you've done it would you do it again?

Friends that sailed on Koningsdam said was MDR menu with two additional items.  MDR menu only at breakfast (same as PG breakfast)