Discounts?

tommui987

13 hours ago, tommui987 said:

What generally is the markup on cameras and lenses?

Discounts on camera equipment aren't that great. The old days of huge MSRP with 40%-50% discounts are gone and most camera companies have fairly rigid pricing based on a fair markup. A few years ago, Sony implemented a pricing policy that strictly controls selling price with a reasonable markup so a mom and pop store can sell for the same price as big online companies. A lot of price-fixing claims were made but on closer inspection is was deemed to actually be fair and a lot of other's have since adopted some form of the practice. Sony and other manufacturers will on occasion offer $$$s off on a selection of cameras and lenses and there's always the grey market if you can live without USA support which is baked into the domestic pricing.

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 1

There are ways around the price controls put in by the manufacturers.

THe biggest way around is to buy gray market:  No, not illegal. The camera makers actually intend for it to happen. Allows them to sell greater inventory without the expense of servicing warranties. Yes-- that's the risk of gray market, you don't get the warranty.

The other way around....  It's taken advantage of by greentoe.com.   I've gotten my last 3 camera bodies at significant discounts (10-20%) while also getting some discounts on lenses. They match you with an *authorized* seller.  The authorized seller can't advertise a price lower than the official selling price. But they will accept a lower price.  Since they are authorized, you get the full warranty.  (Yes, it's a valid warranty.. I've used it).  

Finally, the other thing authorized sellers will do:  They can't offer to sell for less than the official price. But they can throw in extras... including gift cards, cash back, extra accessories.  

In terms of what the mark-up is on cameras and lenses:  I'm not sure. But I can tell you that camera stores are struggling as there are far fewer casual customers coming in to pick up the Canon Rebel.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 10:31 AM, havoc315 said:

Just bit super low... and they will likely send you a counter offer. 

Havoc315 - how long does one usually have to wait for a reply? Or is a reply accepting, counteroffer or go-to-hell common?

Oh well ...

Saw a used ZS100 on Amazon which had a bonus of 2-3 extra batteries (Wasabi)  - and while it does not have the range (zoom) of Lois' ZS40, it has the 1" sensor and is cheaper than the ZS200, let alone the new Sony RX100 VI

A couple of notes on this topic. I try not to buy gray market goods. Not only is there no US warranty, but as far as I know the US distributor for the goods will not even fix the product if you offer to pay for it. (I am a Nikon shooter, and the last time I checked, this was true for Nikon USA. I assume it is also true for other US distributors.) However, I have found refurbished goods to be a good deal. Everything Nikon product that I purchased refurbished has appeared as if it was brand new, and is sold at a discount. 

Amazon's Warehouse Deals and used gear can be good if you catch one at the right time, I got my 24-70 through their Warehouse Deals for $300 less than retail. Brand new in box. Never been used. It may be gray market, the seller is in Canada, but the seller guarantees it with lifetime service.