Specialty Restaurant and Other Venues Favourite Items

CanhardlyW8

My husband and I will be going on our second Celebrity cruise in January. We have a 6 night specialty dinner package. The only other cruise that we have done was on the Equinox. During that cruise a fellow passenger (and now friend) recommended that we try the steak tartare at the Tuscan Grille. My husband loved it! He would have never ordered it without someone suggesting he try it. I would love to hear your favourite menu items from the specialty restaurants, the main dining room or any other venue on board. Looking forward to hearing about the “don’t miss” items! 

Cheers,

Cindy

3 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Lobster Murano and the Chateaubriand in Murano, also the goat cheese soufflé, the dessert Grand Marnier Souffle and the Crepes Balon Rouge. YUM!

I second this recommendation at Murano.     The lobster bisque is surprisingly good and I don't like bisques.

We now stay away from Tuscan as we don't care for the revised menu.  

• Like 1

We loved Murano's and I enjoyed Dover Sole which I most likely would not try in general.  It was delicious.  DW loved the souffles.  Wanted to try the Chateaubriand (advertised as for 2) but DW did not want beef that evening.  Found out later, that they most times, will make an exception.  Will check on that next cruise. 😀

1 minute ago, shipshape sam said:

We loved Murano's and I enjoyed Dover Sole which I most likely would not try in general.  It was delicious.  DW loved the souffles.  Wanted to try the Chateaubriand (advertised as for 2) but DW did not want beef that evening.  Found out later, that they most times, will make an exception.  Will check on that next cruise. 😀

On many visits to Murano DH wants the Chateaubriand and I want the lobster. While negotiating with each other when the waiter is waiting to take our order, invariably the waiter suggests that we can do both and make it a surf and turf. Problem solved! Definitely check out the option on your next cruise.

Thank you for all the suggestions! It looks like a couple dinners in Murano will be in order. That all sounds so delicious 😋 

48 minutes ago, keesar said:

We now stay away from Tuscan as we don't care for the revised menu.  

I had heard that the menu had changed. Did you not like the choices or did the food not taste good?

A simple filet migeon in the Tuscan Grill was heavenly for me 8 days ago.....the waiter insisted that I pick a sauce for the steak and I insisted that a really good steak did not need a sauce so he brought it on the side and I was right. No sauce needed....my once a quarter steak dinner was perfect.

2 hours ago, CanhardlyW8 said:

Thank you for all the suggestions! It looks like a couple dinners in Murano will be in order. That all sounds so delicious 😋 

I had heard that the menu had changed. Did you not like the choices or did the food not taste good?

You may have noticed a theme here - the menu in Murano is not necessarily static for repeat cruisers. It is worth having a discussion with your waiter about any variations you might desire. Ex. after dining there on a number of occasions and on several ships, we had grown tired of the Grand Marnier soufflé and the waiter was able to come up with a chocolate soufflé one time, and a fresh berry soufflé another time.  No guarantees of course, but a casual discussion about your likes and dislikes may be productive. On such occasions, we show our appreciation to our waiter in a tangible way.

I do not know when the menu in Tuscan Grill changed, but after our last meal there in April on Solstice , we decided we had had enough of Tuscan Grill over the years. We do not plan to return next month on Eclipse. We've had too many hit or miss dinners. But in your case, you seem to have had a pleasant meal there previously, so by all means return.

Edited by SFCAcruiser

21 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

A simple filet migeon in the Tuscan Grill was heavenly for me 8 days ago.....the waiter insisted that I pick a sauce for the steak and I insisted that a really good steak did not need a sauce so he brought it on the side and I was right. No sauce needed....my once a quarter steak dinner was perfect.

My hubby will love that! I on the other hand love pasta so hopefully there are some nice pasta dishes to choose from. I’ll also let him know about the Steak Diane!

19 hours ago, crazyman3 said:

The cheese trolley in Murano... mmm... my mouth is watering already!

Oh yum! My mouth is watering too! I LOVE cheese. Thanks for the suggestion!

18 hours ago, SFCAcruiser said:

You may have noticed a theme here - the menu in Murano is not necessarily static for repeat cruisers. 

Yes, thank you! I also noticed that most of the favourite dishes seem to be from Murano. 😊

I love hearing all these suggestions and we will definitely be trying them. I’m making a list. 

Cindy

In Murano I always order Lobster Bisque and Goat Cheese Soufflé. 

I had always thought the soufflé was made in a big ole mixer, but on a Murano galley tour saw a lady with a huge stainless steel bowl whisking it by hand. Hurt my shoulder to watch. 

I recently saw that for some people the Cobb Salad and the Portabella Mushroom dish in the MDR are favourites. Any other menu items in the MDR that are not to miss items? That might help us decide which nights to dine in the MDR. 

Cindy

On 10/26/2018 at 6:10 PM, raudacruise said:

In Murano I always order Lobster Bisque and Goat Cheese Soufflé. 

I had always thought the soufflé was made in a big ole mixer, but on a Murano galley tour saw a lady with a huge stainless steel bowl whisking it by hand. Hurt my shoulder to watch. 

That would be an interesting tour! It definitely makes you appreciate all the effort that goes into making our vacations memorable. 

Cindy

We have eaten in Tuscan on both Equinox and Sillhoutte and found the filet to be wonderful. I also particularly like the arugala salad with crispy cheese balls and we both enjoyed the side portion of lobster alfredo. All the pasta entrees can be ordered as half portions or side potions to go with any entree. We both agreed that we much preferred the filet in Tuscan to the chateaubriand (sp) in Murano.  I find the paella in OVC on embarkation day delicious. 

Besides what is mentioned above (which I agree), we love the pasta that is made on the ship.  A half order is perfect additional to any Tuscan Grill.  If you eat early enough the Tuscan Grill has an excellent view as you leave port or at any time.  

Murano’s is still our favorite.  

Enjoy

Most have chosen Chateaubriand, Dover Sole or Lobster but I would choose a dish that you seldom see in restaurants, Cervena Venison.  It is absolutely fantastic, all the flavour without the fat, deer bred on corn in the South Island of New Zealand.  Can’t wait to have it first night of our November Silly cruise in Murano.

Edited by mickey89

Is that in Murano? There's so many things I love there I've never tried the venison. I may have to do that this next trip! I usually have the Lobster Murano, Chateaubriand, the rack of lamb or the Dover Sole. Maybe we'll be eating there more often this trip....happy thoughts.😊

31 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Is that in Murano? There's so many things I love there I've never tried the venison. I may have to do that this next trip! I usually have the Lobster Murano, Chateaubriand, the rack of lamb or the Dover Sole. Maybe we'll be eating there more often this trip....happy thoughts.😊

Murano lobster is hit or miss, 50:50 chance of being chewy - warm water lobster is not my choice so I always avoid. If you have the lamb rack ask for it to be quartered before cooking and always have medium to well.  Dover Sole is rather bland, we enjoy Plaice once eaten you’ll never want Sole again, Plaice is far more succulent very popular in Europe.  Yes, Cervena Venison has been on Murano menu for as long as I can remember. In the photo of Murano which pops up in the cruise planner, the guy on the right has the Venison on his plate.

Just reading this thread is making me feel hungry!   The Murano favorites have been well covered, as have the favorites in Tuscan.  So I just want to mention the small sugar-cinnamon doughnuts in the Cafe al Bacio during the morning.  I never ever consume doughnuts when at home, but while on a ship I can't say "no" to those little doughnuts.  Addictive!

6 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Murano lobster is hit or miss, 50:50 chance of being chewy - warm water lobster is not my choice so I always avoid. If you have the lamb rack ask for it to be quartered before cooking and always have medium to well.  Dover Sole is rather bland, we enjoy Plaice once eaten you’ll never want Sole again, Plaice is far more succulent very popular in Europe.  Yes, Cervena Venison has been on Murano menu for as long as I can remember. In the photo of Murano which pops up in the cruise planner, the guy on the right has the Venison on his plate.

I guess we've been lucky or you've been unlucky in regards to the Lobster Murano since we've always enjoyed it. Yes there is definitely a difference between Maine lobster and the warm water varieties, but the tableside preparation in Murano has always produced a succulent and tasty entrée. As far as the rack of lamb, we'll have to agree to disagree because we both prefer it prepared medium and medium rare and would never order or enjoy it prepared well done. All that said, I just might try the venison, it looks delish on the picture you mentioned.

Yes, I agree, thank you everyone for all the wonderful suggestions! I have written them all down. There have been a lot of favourites mentioned for Murano but I am also going to follow the advice to try the paella on embarkation day (as long as it is not too busy). I will definitely try the donuts from Cafe Bacio with my coffee too 😊 Now, Inthink I should be asking about exercise programs!!!

Cindy