Cadiz questions

poss

I'm trying to decide which ship's excursion to sign up for.   Which is the more handsome/interesting city:   Cadiz itself or Jerez or Arcos de la Frontera?   Thanks.

Edited by poss

It's not a question of which is the more interesting, it's more what's interesting to you.

The interesting & historic part of Cadiz is right by the port.

A good choice for a lazy day.

The centre of Jerez is historic & has more sherry bodegas than you can shake a stick at. Plenty of bodega tours, but be aware that nowadays these process little if any sherry - much of the old infrastructure is still there  & makes for a mildly interesting tour but virtually all sherry is produced in big modern factories (and factories is a pretty accurate word) on the city outskirts.

Arcos is one of the largest of the hilltop "white villages", in typically rural Spain. Tours usually include one or two other places.

If ship's excursions are built into your cruise price, that's probably the way to go.

But if not, consider

- Cadiz DIY on foot

- or the train to Jerez (mebbe include the Andalucian horse school   https://www.realescuela.org/en/ )

- or Arcos by rented car. Pre-book a rental from the rail station, which is handy to the port. And choose the smallest car that you'll fit into.

JB :classic_smile:

In warmer weather there is also beach option in Cadiz. Horse show in Jerez is not every day, always at noon and better to be bought online as it may be sold out. Bodega tours are nothing special, same product can be sampled in Cadiz bars. Also Cadiz market in the AM and cathedral are interesting.

Thanks for replies.  

Yes, excursions are built into cruise price.  (Regent)   Alas, we'll be in Cadiz on a Sunday, so no market, which is a shame because we usually love markets.    We're not sherry people, so would not be interested in Jerez unless the city itself were especially terrific.

The other "White Village" on that excursion (in addition to Arcos de la Frontera) is Medina Sedonia.    

It'd be great to have the energy to do the ship's excursion to the villages in the morning and then wander around Cadiz for a couple of hours when we return in mid-afternoon.    But my husband turns 89 on this trip and in fact neither of us has that kind of stamina anymore.

Edited by poss

He will need his stamina for Arcos as it is on a hill.  However, it would be my choice from the 3 offers.

i was going to suggest that on a Sunday, you could check if there is an event on at the motor racing circuit near Jerez.  (if that rocks your boat!).

VMax, thank you.   My understanding is that there's a little electric train that carries people to the top in Arcos, and I think we'll be ok walking from there.   What rocks our boat is cruising!  :classic_biggrin:

Arcos is a fairly small place, so not very much to do there, although there are some pretty views, especially from the terrace of the Parador. You can go in and just order a drink.

personally, I think there is plenty to see and do in Cadiz to fill a day. The tourist board has an office just outside the

ort for lots of suggestions.

3 hours ago, LondonTowner said:

personally, I think there is plenty to see and do in Cadiz to fill a day. The tourist board has an office just outside the

ort for lots of suggestions.

I agree.  Cadiz is lovely and so DIY/pedestrian friendly.  Some great tapas bars!

• 2 weeks later...