Cruise Critic Community
divepal

BEWARE - Bait and Switch in Civitavecchia

BEWARE!   HOTEL SAN GIORGIO .

We reserved and paid in full for this hotel over 7 months ago.  Today we received an email stating that they over booked the rooms and they no longer could accommodate us.  We are a large group from different parts of the country and different countries all meeting up in Civitavecchia.  Five of our six rooms were cancelled.  They did offer to put us up in a 3 star hotel (much less than what we paid for this 4 star hotel) or refund our money.  Well, being as we have only a week before our cruise, alternate accommodations are not to be found.

Also review this hotel on Trip Advisor.  You will find multiple reviews of the same thing happening.

That's one very good reason for booking thro a consolidator.

On a road trip in Alberta we booked a room 12 hours ahead thro booking.com. At that short notice there was extremely limited choice but we booked an acceptable room at an acceptable price.

On arrival we checked in at the hotel & collected the key and paperwork.

When we got to our room we found that in the paperwork we'd been inadvertently given a copy of an e-mail from booking.com to the hotel. The gist of that correspondence was that they'd told booking.com that they'd overbooked & couldn't honour our booking. Booking.com's reply was that if they were unable to honour the booking the hotel would have to find us an alternative that was acceptable to us, that was of the same or better standard, and that they'd have to pay any difference. Failure to do so would result in a penalty, compensation, and de-listing.

All of which should have been unknown to us.

That gave us a mountain of respect and confidence in booking.com :classic_smile: 

JB :classic_smile:

I’m glad you had a better experience with Booking.com than we did recently in Venice. The room photographs and description were misleading - the hotel blamed Booking.com and Booking.com blamed the hotel. Either way we felt cheated.

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

That's one very good reason for booking thro a consolidator.

On a road trip in Alberta we booked a room 12 hours ahead thro booking.com. At that short notice there was extremely limited choice but we booked an acceptable room at an acceptable price.

On arrival we checked in at the hotel & collected the key and paperwork.

When we got to our room we found that in the paperwork we'd been inadvertently given a copy of an e-mail from booking.com to the hotel. The gist of that correspondence was that they'd told booking.com that they'd overbooked & couldn't honour our booking. Booking.com's reply was that if they were unable to honour the booking the hotel would have to find us an alternative that was acceptable to us, that was of the same or better standard, and that they'd have to pay any difference. Failure to do so would result in a penalty, compensation, and de-listing.

All of which should have been unknown to us.

That gave us a mountain of respect and confidence in booking.com :classic_smile: 

JB :classic_smile:

That is very interesting!  I would have previously thought that booking directly with the hotel would be the best guarantee  that your room would be available on arrival, but your comments open a whole new discussion and sleepless nights!   (Though OP did not specifically state that they booked directly with the hotel.)

I had this hotel booked through Expedia for my recent cruise and after reading about several instances of this happening, a few weeks before travelling, I cancelled and booked a hotel in Rome and took the train to Civitavecchia in the morning.

We had a problem with a hotel booked through Booking.com a few years ago.  We booked nearly a year out, because it was going to be spring break in Ft Lauderdale, and the hotel “discovered” that they were overbooked about three weeks before we were going to stay there. I suspect it was a case of being able to fill the rooms with guests who booked directly so it made a higher profit for the hotel.  Booking.com were not terribly helpful and kept suggesting really dreadful hotels that were same price only because It was a late booking instead of an early one.  We eventually found one by ourselves that we liked, and we did get it at the same price, but it was a huge hassle.  We started booking directly with hotels after that, and have done better so far.  But I guess there is no perfect solution.

Yikes! Thanks for sharing.   We had a similar thing in Italy as well.   A bit disconcerting to say the least.   We have had good luck with booking.com in another situation.  

Thanks for sharing this!  We had been considering this hotel for the night before our cruise.   I just checked out Trip Advisor as well, and wow!  You aren't the only ones they have done this to.  We certainly won't be booking this hotel now.  

We had also booked the San Giorgio and had our room cancelled on Friday for our cruise that leaves on November 5.  We had booked directly with the hotel on November 12,2017 .   We were  advised by San Girogio they could move us to another hotel that was currently offering rooms for 48 Euro  and we had paid 119 Euro for our room at San Giorgio.   We were advised that we would not get a refund for the difference - great way for a hotel to make extra money.   We cancelled our booking with them and just booked direct with the hotel.  

Just be aware of this hotel and its practices.  

That’s really terrible practice on their part, especially if they think cruise passengers don’t talk to each other or read TripAdvisor!  There are many other places to stay, cheaper and friendlier.  We’ve stayed at Casa Sul Mare and Bel Sole (both B&Bs) in past years, and been very pleased.  Both were very clean and comfortable, and cheaper than Hotel San Giorgio.

59 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

That’s really terrible practice on their part, especially if they think cruise passengers don’t talk to each other or read TripAdvisor!  There are many other places to stay, cheaper and friendlier.  We’ve stayed at Casa Sul Mare and Bel Sole (both B&Bs) in past years, and been very pleased.  Both were very clean and comfortable, and cheaper than Hotel San Giorgio.

Thanks for the suggestions!  And yes, all we can do is spread the word on how they operate so it does not happen to others.  

I prefer to book directly with the Hotel this way any changes I can go directly to the hotel. One time booking with Hotel.com or some other company, I had to change our arrival date and the company couldn't even find our Reservation and asked who i talked with. Heck I couldn't recall. 7 months later. Never again. When booking you really need to watch who the Reservation is going through., Hotel or booking company.  The hotel where we were staying was kind enough to change the arrival date for us.

4 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I prefer to book directly with the Hotel this way any changes I can go directly to the hotel. One time booking with Hotel.com or some other company, I had to change our arrival date and the company couldn't even find our Reservation and asked who i talked with. Heck I couldn't recall. 7 months later. Never again. When booking you really need to watch who the Reservation is going through., Hotel or booking company.  The hotel where we were staying was kind enough to change the arrival date for us.

Quite agree. Also it’s a good idea to email the hotel to discuss your booking, that way they can’t deny you have a booking. We stayed at the San Giorgio in July. I emailed them several times beforehand, and booked our transport from the airport through them.

I also regardless of flights or hotel contact them again to reconfirm my Reservations or update an arrival time change, especially with the Hotel. I really enjoy the Samsung the daughter got me for our trip to Copenhagen a year ago, The airline arrival, departure or gate would come up on my phone after I checked the box to be notified. 

On 11/2/2018 at 4:30 PM, Desert Cruizers said:

I also regardless of flights or hotel contact them again to reconfirm my Reservations or update an arrival time change, especially with the Hotel. I really enjoy the Samsung the daughter got me for our trip to Copenhagen a year ago, The airline arrival, departure or gate would come up on my phone after I checked the box to be notified. 

Curious which Samsung you have, and how the airline notification was set up - was it through an airline app?