Hurtigruten - 11 day menu offerings

hallasm

15 minutes ago, clo said:

Did I miss something?  What was the route/itinerary for this 11 day cruise?  And what ship?

Hi again. I was just tying to get info on the Antarctica cruise aboard the MS Fram. It’s actually a 23 day cruise to Antarctica, Falkland Islands and South Georgia. 

5 minutes ago, nascartony20fan1 said:

Hi again. I was just tying to get info on the Antarctica cruise aboard the MS Fram. It’s actually a 23 day cruise to Antarctica, Falkland Islands and South Georgia. 

Ah gotcha.  We did most of that trip 1/18.  On the Midnatsol.  The food was wonderful.  The dinners alternated between really good buffets and seated four course dinners featuring the cuisine of countries that sailed there back in the day.  Their soups were insanely good.  And my husband, the skinny bread-fiend was in heaven.  One day at lunch we even had house made pasta.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Did I miss something?  What was the route/itinerary for this 11 day cruise?  And what ship?

2 hours ago, nascartony20fan1 said:

I was just tying to get info on the Antarctica cruise aboard the MS Fram

This forum is actual the menu offering for Hurtigruten 11 day coastal route  only - the menu card is the same for all ships sailing coastal route except MS Lofoten.

For Expedition cruises the menu offerings are different.

On 8/1/2019 at 1:32 PM, nascartony20fan1 said:

Hi. We are currently debating a cruise on the MS Fram to Antarctica. I really like the itinerary but we are hesitant due to lack of information. The cabins look very small online. We are getting a good price on a guarantee cabin which may very well be the smallest cabin on board. Any insight on the cabins, their size, and overall comfort? I was happy to see you liked the meals. I have read many reviews where people have complained about the food on MS Fram. You never know what to believe. If you would be so kind to share any information on the MS Fram and your Antarctic Cruise. I saw in your signature that you did the same itinerary we would like to do. Falkland Islands, South Georgia, and Antarctica. Thanks so much. 🙂

Christie

You can't beat the Falkland Islands, South Georgia and Antarctica itinerary.  I enjoyed MS Fram Antarctica cruise so much, I did another cruise on Fram from Greenland to Miami. First cruise we had an inside cabin on 5, which we loved because we had quick access to see whatever was sighted on either side of the ship.  Second cruise I had an outside cabin on a low deck, which I liked so much I refused the offer of an upgrade to a higher deck.  You spend most time inside in the observation lounge or outside on the decks.  

Food was delicious on both cruises.  Dinner at night was like an event.  I enjoy Norwegian food, which includes a good variety of fish.

There was a lady on my cruise who repeated this itinerary twice on Fram, in one year, as she loved the cruise so much.  I think you will be delighted with your choice.  Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the lunch and dinner prices on the Norway Coastal Cruises and the prices in the cafeteria? We're going port-to-port for some of our journey and are trying to decide whether or not to purchase full board. Thank you!

Unfortunately I do not have the Cafe prices and I’m not sure if you can purchase individual meals in the restaurant - when you purchase the port-to-port you can select either full board or no meals.

Depending on your itinerary you can have some of your meals ashore for ports with longer stops. Just note that food in general is very expensive in Norway.

However quality of food at the ships is good an IMO an important part of the journey.

in addition to the port-to-port which can be quite expensive Hurtigruten has also 3 nights packets like Svolvær to Kirkenes or to Bergen - and few other options - better priced than port-to-port. 

In the restaurant, lunch is about 400NOK and dinner about 500NOK. I have a feeling I've seen (and answered) that question elsewhere 🙂 but for future travellers:

- indeed if you book port-to-port online on the Norwegian website you can only buy full board or no meals, but you can totally book individual meals on board (you buy them one day in advance at the reception). If you book by email I'm pretty sure you can ask to add individual meals at booking (for instance if you want to book dinner on your embarking day).

- on port-to-port from my experience there is no saving as getting full board upon booking, the regular prices of the meals is just added to the cabin price (so FWIW, I would not book with full board unless you are sure you are going to eat every meal in the restaurant)

- the cafeteria offers a range of sandwiches and basic warm dishes (soup, sausages...). From my recollection, you can eat for less than 150NOK (maybe even less than 100 NOK in some cases). It's not fine dining but it's allright.

Edited by SarniaLo
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SarniaLo said:

indeed if you book port-to-port online on the Norwegian website you can only buy full board or no meals

Thank you for the update. Full Board for two days (from Svolvær to Kirkenes)  + one breakfast last day  is NOK 1232 - I believe there will some savings if booking in advance.

If this is on one of the ships with the "specialty dining room", can short-term passengers eat dinner there?

If so, that could provide a "nice" dinner.  IIRC, one can choose how many courses, and pay accordingly.

We ate there once on our Coast RT.  Some of the items were the same (exact) as from the main dining room, and some were slightly different preparations.  
We had rather indifferent service (that's putting it kindly, but it was't "bad"), which detracted a lot.  The service in the regular DR was so much nicer, but that's probably luck of the draw in terms of "who" is doing the serving.

GC

17 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Thank you for the update. Full Board for two days (from Svolvær to Kirkenes)  + one breakfast last day  is NOK 1232 - I believe there will some savings if booking in advance.

OK you made me doubt 😉 so I just tried a similar booking (on the Norwegian website) for Svolvaer to Kirkenes for September 25tg (just a randomly picked date). After I select the cabin I am directed to a page where I can choose the meals, breakfast is included and I can buy lunches for 780NOK and dinners for 1010 NOK (there are 2 of each on this leg). I've checked the precise costs of meals, lunch on board can be bought for 390NOK, and dinner for 505 NOK, so that's exactly the same price. I can add to my booking all the lunches and/or all the dinners.
Where did you find the price you quote? That is extremely cheap and a very good deal! 😁

I just picked an available port-to-port  and .no web - MS Nordnorge from Svolvær to Kirkenes - could choose 'All Inclusive' which is full board. coffee and wifi  - same difference for the different type of cabins

Skærmbillede 2019-08-23 kl. 19.11.20.png

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

I just picked an available port-to-port  and .no web - MS Nordnorge from Svolvær to Kirkenes - could choose 'All Inclusive' which is full board. coffee and wifi  - same difference for the different type of cabins

Oh, you are totally right! Apologies (and also for misleading Bella0714). That's a new thing from the last time I travelled, I think, so I missed this option.
To be honest on port-to-port trip I personally want to avoid dinner so that bias may have clouded my judgement.

2 hours ago, clo said:

I'm sorry is this about Hurtigruten.  People keep writing Norwegian.  ???

Is this a question?

Yes, this topic IS "HURTIGRUTEN", as you should be able to see right there at the top, just like other cruise lines are titled with their cruise line name..

Whatever is troubling you about the fact that many of the Hurtigruten cruises are along the Norwegian coast, and have been for a very long  time?  (They started as a truly necessary ferry service and morphed to include some "cruising".)

This is no different from X cruise line sailing in the Greek Islands (assuming the cruise line isn't named "Greek", etc.).

Or "Alaska/Alaskan" cruises, even though the cruise lines aren't called "Alaska cruise line", etc.

GC

40 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Whatever is troubling you about the fact that many of the Hurtigruten cruises are along the Norwegian coast, and have been for a very long  time?  (They started as a truly necessary ferry service and morphed to include some "cruising".)

Yes, dear.  I've taken that cruise RT and will take the northbound next spring.  When people referred to the "Norwegian" site and there is a Norwegian cruise line, well....  Our cruise had many day trippers.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

Yes, dear.  I've taken that cruise RT and will take the northbound next spring.  When people referred to the "Norwegian" site and there is a Norwegian cruise line, well....  Our cruise had many day trippers.

How very sweet!
Thank you. :classic_wink:

And so glad you had many day trippers. :confused 

But still no idea what your question/problem is...*especially* if you are very familiar with Hurtigruten.
Cheers!

GC

15 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

And so glad you had many day trippers. :confused 

You're not familiar with the term?  There were a lot of people who got on, went a port or more, and disembarked.

5 hours ago, clo said:

When people referred to the "Norwegian" site and there is a Norwegian cruise line, well....  Our cruise had many day trippers.

This discussion is in the Hurtigruten forum and it's pretty clear for people familiar with Hurtigruten, particularly in relation to port-to-port bookings, what is meant by "Norwegian website" in this context. Just in case there were still people unaware, when I mentioned the Norwegian website on a previous post (#36) I linked it to hurtigruten.no . I don't see how there can be a confusion.

Not sure what the day trippers have to do with anything?

9 hours ago, clo said:

People keep writing Norwegian. 

Also an Airline called Norwegian - however Hurtigruten is Norwegian. The confusing part is Hurtigruten’s 10 different web sites with different prices and offerings - only possible to book port-to-port directly at their ‘Norwegian Site’.

6 hours ago, hallasm said:

Also an Airline called Norwegian - however Hurtigruten is Norwegian. The confusing part is Hurtigruten’s 10 different web sites with different prices and offerings - only possible to book port-to-port directly at their ‘Norwegian Site’.

I think Hurtigruten is now owned by TDR Capital, a British private equity firm.