Help! Thanksgiving cruise NH to Baltimore!

ARI421

So we booked a cruise from Baltimore on Thanksgiving day on the grandeur... Flying wasn't it the budget for the 4 of us but we did rent a big car.. Totally panicked now about the traffic.. We live in NH and have gone to Baltimore several times for cruises But we normally leave the day before and get a hotel.. With stops for bathroom takes us 7 hours and 45 mins... 

What is everyone's take on when we should leave? We have to get car to airport and return it as well!! 

Leave NJ at 200 am, hopefully arrive at cruise port by 1030/11? (am I being way to optimistic??) hubby drives to airport and returns by Uber and should be back at 1130/12 giving us plenty of time? 

Thank u so. Much for reading and your opinions 

30 minutes ago, ARI421 said:

So we booked a cruise from Baltimore on Thanksgiving day on the grandeur... Flying wasn't it the budget for the 4 of us but we did rent a big car.. Totally panicked now about the traffic.. We live in NH and have gone to Baltimore several times for cruises But we normally leave the day before and get a hotel.. With stops for bathroom takes us 7 hours and 45 mins... 

What is everyone's take on when we should leave? We have to get car to airport and return it as well!! 

Leave NJ at 200 am, hopefully arrive at cruise port by 1030/11? (am I being way to optimistic??) hubby drives to airport and returns by Uber and should be back at 1130/12 giving us plenty of time? 

Thank u so. Much for reading and your opinions 

Where are you coming from in NH?  Aside from the cost of a hotel room, is there any reason you can't leave Wed night?  You can find an inexpensive room in East Windsor NJ near Turnpike exit 8 or 8A which would put you under 2.5 hours from the port.

4 hours ago, 138east said:

Where are you coming from in NH?  Aside from the cost of a hotel room, is there any reason you can't leave Wed night?  You can find an inexpensive room in East Windsor NJ near Turnpike exit 8 or 8A which would put you under 2.5 hours from the port.

Honestly, other than the drowsy driving issue, I think 2am is better than Wednesday afternoon.  Most people are traveling Wednesday and want to be at their destination that evening/night. 

We almost always get a 1/2 day on Wednesday. I onw work from home that day because my normally 1 hour commute from Rockville to Baltimore can run up to 3 hours the day before Thanksgiving.  And that's only about 30 miles on 95/695.  I drive around Thanksgiving morning with no issue.

7 hours ago, 138east said:

My stepson works second shift and has to. Work till 10 or he won't get paid for Thursday and Friday 

13 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Look into alternative drop off locations in the city as they may be more convenient and may not include large airport fees.  BWI isn't too close to the port!

It's thanksgiving day every other place was closed

Since it looks like you would be driving through the night regardless, I would leave as soon as possible when step-son is done with work.  Traffic should be light those hours but you never know what the weather will be so I would want some cushion.

Stop for a nice breakfast before dropping the car off if travel time goes well (and you can find places open).

Best wishes.

Be sure to monitor traffic reports on Google Drive, your GPS etc especially if weather is a factor so you don't get hung up in a long delay you can't get around.  You are cutting it close IMHO with the big cities you have to navigate around.  I would get as close to Baltimore as possible before stopping to do anything but pit stop!  If time is close just leave cart at port, will cost more but doing drop off folks at the port, then car to airport, then someone getting back to port could really be a mess if there's a wreck or traffic issue

On 10/27/2018 at 11:45 PM, ARI421 said:

My stepson works second shift and has to. Work till 10 or he won't get paid for Thursday and Friday 

If he works till 10, he won’t get enough sleep for him to help with driving with a 2:00 AM start (which does not leave enough time for traffic delays- you are talking about Thanksgiving morning when a significant portion of the East Coast’s population will be driving to someone else’s house). Every other driver should have a good late afternoon nap.

Just bite the bullet - start driving at 10:30 and have a good early breakfast when you get there, and not have to worry about getting to/from airport in short time.

I agree, I would want to be on the road as soon a possible.

Weather, a major accident, just plain holiday traffic could delay you by several hours or more.

Go early, if you get in early, find a hotel and crash for a few hours.  Ask for a "day rate."  A lot of hotels will sell you an empty room until noonish or even a bit later, for a reduced rate.  As they can still clean and sell that room again for the evening.