Family Cruise- NCL Radiance if the Sea or Royal Princess

kmm44

Hello

we are looking st our first cruise to Alaska in July with 3 kids (14, 12 and 8).  I was looking at Royal Car. Radiance of the Sea from Vancouver to  Seward or the Royal Princess from Whittier to Vancouver.

Any recommendations?  The Princess has Glacier Bay where as NCL has Hubbard.

Appreciate the advise! 

The renowned expert in Alaska are Princess & HAL. Having been to Glacier Bay 20+ times, I consider it a must see for an Alaska cruise. Have also never missed getting into Glacier Bay, or getting to the glaciers.

With Hubbard, only been 3 or 4 times, but have missed 1 visit due to ice.

Cruised & worked for Princess for over 35 year, but no longer cruise with them. Regardless, I would still recommend Princess, as being the better option, since in Alaska, the scenery is the focus and not the ship/cruise line. 

Just an FYI: "NCL" is Norwegian Cruise Line, whereas Royal Caribbean is "RCI."     I think itinerary is most important  when choosing an Alaskan cruise, and my personal preference is for smaller ships. If Glacier viewing is a priority, then choose a Princess southbound cruise going to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. Princess's northbound cruises go to Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

Edited by NancyIL

My vote is for the Royal Princess. It is actually what I have booked for next summer, Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver, as it goes to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. None of the rooms on Princess will hold a family of 5 but there are plenty of connecting staterooms to be found. My oldest is 7 and LOVED the kids club this summer on Princess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kmm44 said:

I tried to edit but couldn’t figure out - it should say RCI Radiance of the Seas - it is the Royal Carribean one

I'm not sure about the new boards - but you used to have only 20 minutes to edit your post. When  you are within the 20-minute time period - there will be an "edit" button at the bottom of your post. I tend to edit my posts a lot, and my previous post was no exception!

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on RCI Radiance this past summer - southbound with three day land tour up front, and it was easily the best cruise we have ever been on.  But honestly, not sure you can go wrong with any ship as Alaska is the main attraction.  My advice is go with cheapest cruise that gives you best itinerary, and then spend your savings on excursions!  

I wasn't thrilled with my Radiance cruise compare to my Princess cruises in Alaska. Though - the Royal Princess would not be my Princess choice for ships. It doesn't have much outdoor viewing areas. I would look at Coral Princess.

Edited by Coral