Traveling solo

Livetolove

I've never been asked why I cruise solo.  Given my age, people probably just assume I'm widowed.

I do often wish I could turn to someone & say "did you see that?" or similar, but then I remind myself that if I had to wait for someone to go w/me, I'd probably miss "that" too. Then I just take another photo to show the  family.

Solo cruisers -- just GO!

• Thanks 1

So many thoughts come to mind I don’t know where to begin. I am cruising solo but not by choice. My husband passed 2 years ago. Initially it was hard because everywhere you go there are couples. However, most everyone are very nice and compassionate and I have met and made friends on every cruise. The following is my experience only. You may see it differently.

In the beginning I thought I wanted shared dining so I wouldn’t have to eat alone. That was ok, but I have since learned the freedom to dine whenever and wherever works best for me. Sometimes shared dining, sometimes, buffet, sometimes not at all. Depends on what is happening on the ship.

Initially the ship excursions seemed safest, but since I have an aversion to the big buses, I have switched to private excursions and you have a great chance to meet and get to know people on your excursion. I recommend it.

I participate in all sorts of things, games, shows, dining, etc. and am not afraid to meet new people from all over the world and learn about their experiences. I have attended the solo meet and greets on cruise ships but they have not been very interesting to me. Having said that I met a couple on the last cruise that had been married for 4 years after meeting in a cruise. 

I feel as a solo traveler that this is a safe way to see the world and I do it often. Doing it alone gives you the opportunity to do it the way you want. You can get up when you want, participate (or not) if you want, and go to bed when you want. I have found that the crew is also very nice to solo travelers. They must realize you need some special attention.

Bottom line. It’s not ideal, but it’s still a great way to travel. I still find myself crying when things happen that remind me of my husband but that’s going to happen anywhere. I hope you enjoy your cruise and are able to do many more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, DRS/NC said:

I've never been asked why I cruise solo.  Given my age, people probably just assume I'm widowed.

I do often wish I could turn to someone & say "did you see that?" or similar, but then I remind myself that if I had to wait for someone to go w/me, I'd probably miss "that" too. Then I just take another photo to show the  family.

Solo cruisers -- just GO!

I have never cruised solo, but often attend activities or wander around alone.  I will talk to almost anyone, and often share "moments" that way. Some people ignore me or give me weird looks, but most are happy to chat. For many, it is part of cruising. I also love to converse with crew members when they aren't too busy.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2018 at 12:20 PM, OhioDogLover said:

I am in a similar situation and am trying to get up the courage to cruise solo.  I appreciate the advice.  

Ohiodoglover

Hi

I think we might have met on BI cruise 2 August Pacific Princess.  If I were you I should stick with Princess as you meet a certain type of cruiser.  The posts on this thread offer a good tips and advice on going solo.

Main problem is with getting through the inertia and actually making a booking.  Once this is done you feel committed.  I would look for a cruise of around 10 days and fairly easy length flights.  

Regards John

I am so sorry for your loss. I love that you want to keep the birthday tradition alive! Blessed be in all your adventures.

I'm single, I sometimes travel with friends and family, but my absolute favourite vacations are ones I have taken by myself.

Now, everyone is different, please take what works for you and scrap the rest. I am an extroverted introvert, which means I can be quite social, but I need serious "me time" to recharge my batteries. I've never had a problem making friends on a ship, you won't either.

For me I do the following:

1) Join the role call and make connections;

2) Do anytime dining, that way you're free to join people in the dining room, or not, without obligation to a standing time;

3) Join in activities that bring your joy (for me it's trivia, karaoke, bingo, the bar);

4) Take time to just breathe and relax, however that looks like to you (I like to read by a pool or in the IC, and drink my way through a bar menu (<-- not at one go!))

5) Enjoy the freedom of being beholden to no one but yourself.

My Winter cruise tends to cover the anniversary of my Mothers death, I always find a way to honour her. Your trip will bring back memories for you, don't fight them, incorporate them into the new ones. Above all else, enjoy.

Cheers,

Deb

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 12:30 PM, john watson said:

Hi

I think we might have met on BI cruise 2 August Pacific Princess.  If I were you I should stick with Princess as you meet a certain type of cruiser.  The posts on this thread offer a good tips and advice on going solo.

Main problem is with getting through the inertia and actually making a booking.  Once this is done you feel committed.  I would look for a cruise of around 10 days and fairly easy length flights.  

Regards John

John,

Thanks.  The cruise last summer was one of my favorites.  I missed the M & G.  You are right, we probably saw each other on the ship.  Did you enjoy that cruise?

Ohiodoglover

On October 27, 2018 at 6:12 PM, riclop said:

You may love it and if you don't go with a friend or family member next time.

Sadly, there isn't always someone that is available to go.  

OP, I went to Vegas alone for my birthday because no one was available during those dates… It was fun. I've also been on two solo cruises.  I had a good time and I will do it again but I won't lie, I did have my moments of loneliness.  I have a recent thread where several CC members told me how they spend their days and evenings when they are alone. It's quite helpful and much appreciated!  

I say… Go for it and enjoy! 

I am deeply sorry for your loss, as I lost my husband.  near the end of our cruise in 2017.  I did travel solo on one cruise with friends and  enjoyed keeping active with Roll Call activities and being among others. There is no need to change if your used to getting acquainted with others on your ship. This March the daughter will be joining me on a cruise and again the following year. Remain as active as you can and being with friends is the best.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, 1emerald1 said:

Of the cruises I've taken solo I have never been asked why I am cruising by myself.  I don't think it's that uncommon.

Really?  I get asked that ALL the time when I'm by  myself.  Maybe it has to do with your age?  Maybe people assume that you're a widow/widower?  I get drilled with questions, especially in the MDR: 

"Why are you cruising by yourself?" 

"Can't your husband get the time off work?"

"Why doesn't he just go anyway?"

"Aren't you afraid?" 

"How do you handle it all by yourself?"

"Do you really go all this way on your own and even stay in hotels by yourself?" 

and so many more questions.  I usually go to the buffet now vs. being questioned like that at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It gets old having to tell the same story over & over again.  It does help having traditional dining at least for dinner.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I've never been asked those questions.  I don't recall verbatim conversations but perhaps on the first night when we introduce ourselves, perhaps I mention that I'm divorced.  I'm not clear on what you mean about age, I'm late fifties but I have always been told I look younger.  Maybe the way I present myself is with confidence and project that I am very excited to be on the cruise, whether solo or with family members, and not of being uncomfortable of afraid.

11 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

I've never been asked those questions.  I don't recall verbatim conversations but perhaps on the first night when we introduce ourselves, perhaps I mention that I'm divorced.  I'm not clear on what you mean about age, I'm late fifties but I have always been told I look younger.  Maybe the way I present myself is with confidence and project that I am very excited to be on the cruise, whether solo or with family members, and not of being uncomfortable of afraid.

I have also never been asked these questions either. I am younger than you and have cruised single since my 20's. It must be the confidence thing - I am comfortable with myself and very interested in where I am traveling. So conversations seem to talk about "what I have planned and doing in port". It is more about the cruise.

Edited by Coral

25 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Really?  I get asked that ALL the time when I'm by  myself.  Maybe it has to do with your age?  Maybe people assume that you're a widow/widower?  I get drilled with questions, especially in the MDR: 

"Aren't you afraid?" 

"Do you really go all this way on your own and even stay in hotels by yourself?" 

and so many more questions.  I usually go to the buffet now vs. being questioned like that at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It gets old having to tell the same story over & over again.  It does help having traditional dining at least for dinner.

Obviously these people rarely get out of their basements.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have also never been asked these questions either. I am younger than you and have cruised single since my 20's. It must be the confidence thing - I am comfortable with myself and very interested in where I am traveling. So conversations seem to talk about "what I have planned and doing in port". It is more about the cruise.

There are so many passengers who travel solo, and like me it's because sometimes I prefer to.  I meet so many more people, and selfishly I can do my own agenda and don't have to share a cabin.  In fact on my last cruise I was at a table of 8, most were couples with the exception of another single lady, older than me and divorced as well.  Again, no one asked her embarrassing questions and like everyone else she shared her prior and future cruise experiences with the table.  

Going solo is not a stigma, unless you yourself think it is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OhioDogLover said:

John,

Thanks.  The cruise last summer was one of my favorites.  I missed the M & G.  You are right, we probably saw each other on the ship.  Did you enjoy that cruise?

Ohiodoglover

It was an up and down cruise vacation for me.  I booked a year out for my daughter and I, however about two weeks before sailing she cancelled as she was staying in Wales in the preceding days but had got back to Cambridgeshire.  I had booked three days hotel in Dover,  pre-cruise and phoned her mother after I had stayed the first night in Dover to see if things were still the same.  My daughter changed her mind and wanted to come but was at the wrong end of the country and only fourteen years old.  Her mother packed her into an approved taxi and sent her down to Dover. So we eventually turned the solo cruise I had resigned myself happily to be on to a cruise with my daughter.  She thought as did I it was an excellent cruise with a few problems which related exclusively to her being in a wheelchair and access to buses.  There were few wheelchair passengers on board and few young ones, so I suspect you can remember us.

Regards John

7 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

"Aren't you afraid?" 

This!  I've also been quizzed!  On my first solo cruise a giant group tried to adopt me because they could not believe I was alone.  I somehow ended up at one of their MDR tables.  They had at least four or five tables.  Awkward.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

This!  I've also been quizzed!  On my first solo cruise a giant group tried to adopt me because they could not believe I was alone.  I somehow ended up at one of their MDR tables.  They had at least four or five tables.  Awkward.

I had two very nice older ladies "adopt" me on a cruise once.  It was really nice of them but they got a little miffed when I didn't want to be joined at the hip with them the whole cruise.  They kinda missed the idea of going solo.  :classic_happy:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

"Aren't you afraid?" 

WOW! I’m surprised at those questions being asked. I’d have to assume the questioner(s) do not have much world/travel/work/life experience outside their own neighborhoods.

My husband always let me know that in the event he decided not to travel anymore or passed away that I should continue my travels because he knew I enjoyed it. He was to cruise for the final time a year ago this coming April on the Oasis but we never made it  so now I cruise with the daughter yet will travel solo in the event she is unable to go.

It has absolutely nothing to do with confidence, Coral.   I talk to a lot of people, join groups and socialize and perhaps that's where the curiosity & questions come from - meeting lots of different people.

I have noticed a difference from when I first started cruising solo almost a decade ago and I think the itinerary makes a huge difference.  It seems I get less questions on the more normal itineraries, on shorter cruises and on those that start in the US.  Everyone has different experiences.  These are mine.  Your mileage may vary. :classic_biggrin:

On 12/9/2018 at 3:55 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

"Aren't you afraid?" 

I am going to be taking 3 cruises this winter and 20 of the 34 days will be solo. I have to admit that I would much rather be traveling with my husband but that is no longer possible so I go on.

I am much like Drives Like Mario with the questions but I also get another as I drive from North Carolina to Port Everglades. "How can you drive that far by yourself?" I just do! 

You will be fine! Enjoy!

Edited by Carolina Cruisr
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Carolina Cruisr said:

I am going to be taking 3 cruises this winter and 20 of the 34 days will be solo. I have to admit that I would much rather be traveling with my husband but that is no longer possible so I go on.

I am much like Drives Like Mario with the questions but I also get another as I drive from North Carolina to Port Everglades. "How can you drive that far by yourself?" I just do! 

You will be fine! Enjoy!

Too funny!  Good for you!  Hope you have a fantastic time! 🏝️