The only thing worse than not turning off Avatars is having to view Newest Photos

The Newest Photos "feature" is ridiculous.  What a waste of bandwidth and page formatting.  Photos without the context in which they have been posted are completely without merit.  Please allow users to disable this.

It's been ten days since I've been here.  Didn't miss it.  Now that I've checked in, I'm no closer to embracing this new format.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayoldschool said:

The Newest Photos "feature" is ridiculous.  What a waste of bandwidth and page formatting.  Photos without the context in which they have been posted are completely without merit.  Please allow users to disable this.

It's been ten days since I've been here.  Didn't miss it.  Now that I've checked in, I'm no closer to embracing this new format.

Better than an ad for service dog papers. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa

18 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I resorted to using my Ad Blocker to get rid of those photos.

Sweet! Gonna try it.

I'm another vote for getting rid of that feature. I have no interest in other people's random photos. Plus I will no longer post my person photos here because they will end up on a feature that I dont want to support (well that and copyright issues).

Edited by Peregrina651

As noted in another thread, there are no filters or reporting mechanisms for the Newest Photos.  If someone uploads something that is inappropriate, members can't report from Newest Photos.

Admin... do the right thing and disable this unwanted feature.  Stop pushing your members away.

22 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

Well, I have to totally agree with this!  The time since the "new" CC came out I have been trying to get used to all the new features and this one surely adds to my list of dislikes.

I have my adblocker on and the pictures are still there. 😞

Right, because technically it is not an ad. You have to tell your ad blocker to block that particular element.

I use AdBlock Plus and this is what I had to do ( other blockers may have similar options). There is an ABP icon on my browser, which I click on to open a drop-down menu. One of choices is "Block Element." Click on it and it will highlight all of the blockable elements. Mouse-over the element you want to block (in this case, the pictures themselves) and right click to block the picture. You may have to do one picture at a time.  I had to try a couple of times to block but finally learned that the best solution to the problem was just to block the pictures themselves.

If you make a mistake and block something you didn't want to block, start again. Step1# is to erase the filters you just added. On ABP, click on the icon and selected Options. Then select Advanced and scroll down until you see the list of Your Filters. Click on Edit and when the editing window open, deleted everything on the list and hit save. Close the window and then repeat the steps in the first paragraph.

I chose to only delete the pictures. I'm stuck with the Newest Pictures heading and the info about the pictures --and this I am willing to live with--because I could not figure out how to block the entire New Pictures element with out also deleting the announcements, which I do want to keep.

On one of my rollcalls someone posted a picture of themselves (why...not necessary I think) and it's huge and takes up sooooo much space...Is this what you're referring to ?

Still so puzzled with all the "improvements" that I certainly would have been happy without...but so many cheerleaders for this new CC site...I'll just keep my disappointment to myself.

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

On one of my rollcalls someone posted a picture of themselves (why...not necessary I think) and it's huge and takes up sooooo much space...Is this what you're referring to ?

No, I think it's the photos that appear in the right-hand sidebar on a forum page (ie a page listing all the threads in a forum).

I'm actually seeing these very seldom because Activity Streams mean that I very seldom open an actual forum page now. I'm usually looking only at Activity Streams or actual threads. I've set up my Activity Streams so that I can easily see the new/unread threads in every forum I follow so that I don't have to look at the forum page itself, except to mark the forum as read (which takes less than 5 seconds, so I never go down the page to see the photos).

15 hours ago, jayoldschool said:

As noted in another thread, there are no filters or reporting mechanisms for the Newest Photos.  If someone uploads something that is inappropriate, members can't report from Newest Photos.

Admin... do the right thing and disable this unwanted feature.  Stop pushing your members away.

As shown in the other forum, there is a reporting mechanism. 😇

Mountains out of molehills.  Don't people try things for themselves before passing along fake information?

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jenn, looks like an adjustment was made to the Member Galleries to only show one photo from the albums.  Thus enabling 4 albums in the pop up view.  Seems like a good idea. Thanks

Oops, nevermind.  Seems like newest photos in the directories are the same, but Albums have been added to the right side of individual threads.  Wow.

Edited by John&LaLa

On 10/29/2018 at 7:46 PM, Ashland said:

Still so puzzled with all the "improvements" that I certainly would have been happy without...but so many cheerleaders for this new CC site...I'll just keep my disappointment to myself.

Ugh!! I wonder of you could use an blocker to block that one particular picture?

I dont see why we should have to have pictures thrust upon us.  There should be an option to switch them off.  I dont even know why people are adding them one today is 3 years old!

Something like this as appears in CC emails should do it 🙂

profile_mask2.png

Cruise Critic Community <cruisecritic@invisioncloudcommunity.com>

10:06 (8 minutes ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
Images are not displayed. Display images below - Always display images from cruisecritic@invisioncloudcommunity.com

Edited by Aulanis

5 hours ago, Aulanis said:

I dont see why we should have to have pictures thrust upon us.  There should be an option to switch them off.

There was a nice facility in vBulletin that you could choose to switch off signatures, to switch off avatars and to switch off pictures (which would show as a link rather than an image).

It would be good if this current software could offer all three of these features.

I'm doing this on a Droid and the pictures that I cannot block slow down loading time. This really sucks. I'm not interested in some random person posing in a waterfall .... her spouse might be but not me

Please put the site down again and undo this 'feature'

25 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Having the same problem here,  I tried blocking the poster with the most annoying photos, but it doesn't block those photos from showing in the sidebar, I would have thought that would work, but apparently not. 😞

If you use AdBlockPlus (ABP) on your browser, you can use it to block almost any element on the page. You can also use it to block individual images in a post but you have to do it for each image you want to block.

To block the images in the side bar, open ADP settings, choose ADVANCED and scroll down to "My filter list" below the text box, click Edit and past in the following:  boards.cruisecritic.com##.ipsThumb.ipsThumb_bg.cGalleryWidget_verticalThumb  and hit save. The captions will still be there but the pictures will be gone. I could not figure out how to get ride of the captions without getting rid of the entire sidebar, including the announcements.

For any other element, click on the ABP image.png.13e96034aa8b43301565889966639043.pngicon in your browser  and choose "Block element." Highlight the element you want to block and click. If you goof, go to ABP settings, Advanced, scroll down to the filter list, hit edit and delete the last code entered. Then try again.

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I used my ad blocker to turn off the newest photos.

I really wish I could turn off avatars. The non-static ones drive me nuts. Apparently this software does not have that ability.

ABP will also block the avatars.  Be careful, there are multiple elements in the same space; make sure that only the avatar is highlighted and not the entire square with the text.  You have to do this for each avatar you want to block.

Finally, ABP is available for Apple and Android.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:58 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Right, because technically it is not an ad. You have to tell your ad blocker to block that particular element.

I use AdBlock Plus and this is what I had to do ( other blockers may have similar options). There is an ABP icon on my browser, which I click on to open a drop-down menu. One of choices is "Block Element." Click on it and it will highlight all of the blockable elements. Mouse-over the element you want to block (in this case, the pictures themselves) and right click to block the picture. You may have to do one picture at a time.  I had to try a couple of times to block but finally learned that the best solution to the problem was just to block the pictures themselves.

If you make a mistake and block something you didn't want to block, start again. Step1# is to erase the filters you just added. On ABP, click on the icon and selected Options. Then select Advanced and scroll down until you see the list of Your Filters. Click on Edit and when the editing window open, deleted everything on the list and hit save. Close the window and then repeat the steps in the first paragraph.

I chose to only delete the pictures. I'm stuck with the Newest Pictures heading and the info about the pictures --and this I am willing to live with--because I could not figure out how to block the entire New Pictures element with out also deleting the announcements, which I do want to keep.

Thank you! I came here to see if there was some way to block the photos. As other people said (I'm just reiterating for the cause) I don't want to see other people's photos, and I think it was slowing down my computer. I think I set up Ad Blocker correctly. I couldn't figure out how to choose the element, but then I realized I just had to hover over it.  It turned yellow. I clicked, and they disappeared.

1 hour ago, SnowshoeCat said:

Thank you! I came here to see if there was some way to block the photos. As other people said (I'm just reiterating for the cause) I don't want to see other people's photos, and I think it was slowing down my computer. I think I set up Ad Blocker correctly. I couldn't figure out how to choose the element, but then I realized I just had to hover over it.  It turned yellow. I clicked, and they disappeared.

Does this turn off ALL pictures? 

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

In the sidebar, it will turn off all the pictures but not the captions. (Personally, I'll live with captions as long as those obnoxious pictures are gone but I don't want to lose the announcements which are also part of the sidebar).

In a post, I suspect that you will have to do it picture by picture (just like you have to do it avatar by avatar) AND since in a thread, pictures are usually posted as part of the conversation or in answer to a question, at least you get a chance to see the picture before you decide to block it.

11 hours ago, Ombud said:

I was able to turn off just the sidebar photos and the captions. It was quite by accident, so I'm not sure if I can explain. When I clicked on "Block Element", a new window opened up. I then went back to CC and hovered over the areas I wanted blocked. The highlighted color was yellow, and I didn't realize that was the "element". So I repositioned the cursor until the sidebar was highlighted, then clicked. The first time I did it, I only highlighted one photo. Then I realized I can highlight the entire column, and that's when I got rid of the rest of them.

• Thanks 1