Coolest Sail Away From a Cruise Port

Oakman58

By the way the canon was loaded and fired three times as we left port.  While this was the best sendoff in my opinion, some of the female passengers probably thought the sendoff in Invergordon Scotland was the best ever.

We had extremely windy conditions in Invergordon and for the ship’s sail away a group of bagpipers performed for us.  At times the swirling wind enhanced the performance for the ladies by causing the kilts to fly high.  There was a very large group of passengers on the promenade deck watching the bagpipers and when a kilt flew higher than normal the ladies let out with some hoops and hollers.

To give you an idea of how windy it was look at the picture and you can see the temporary metal fencing has been blown over.  It takes quite a wind to knock those down.

2wdpusp.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

By the way the canon was loaded and fired three times as we left port.  While this was the best sendoff in my opinion, some of the female passengers probably thought the sendoff in Invergordon Scotland was the best ever.

We had extremely windy conditions in Invergordon and for the ship’s sail away a group of bagpipers performed for us.  At times the swirling wind enhanced the performance for the ladies by causing the kilts to fly high.  There was a very large group of passengers on the promenade deck watching the bagpipers and when a kilt flew higher than normal the ladies let out with some hoops and hollers.

To give you an idea of how windy it was look at the picture and you can see the temporary metal fencing has been blown over.  It takes quite a wind to knock those down.

2wdpusp.jpg

I was there as well and one of the kilts flipped up quite high. I took a short iPhone video but don’t know how to attach it .

Don't have any pictures but in Santo Tomas, Guatemala a few years ago, all the port workers get in their cars and line the pier.  When we started to sail away, they all honked their hosts and flashed their lights until we were well away.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Don't have any pictures but in Santo Tomas, Guatemala a few years ago, all the port workers get in their cars and line the pier.  When we started to sail away, they all honked their hosts and flashed their lights until we were well away.

Honking their hosts!?

I don't even want to ask....!

:classic_biggrin:

GC

13 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Horns!  The local entertainers that play music and dance at the port facility are also out there playing music and dancing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Horns!  The local entertainers that play music and dance at the port facility are also out there playing music and dancing.

If this is directed at my/my post just above, I knew what was intended.

I just couldn't resist. :classic_wink:

It was too funny.

GC

I was fascinated at the first lock of the new Panama canal, we watched this line of cars back up the hill (we had an AFT cabin)  we couldn't figure out where they were going, well they waiting for the Bliss to sail into the lock and then as soon as it closed, it was a road - not officially a send off but I thought it was cool to watch

I love when the locals really put on a show or even come out to show their appreciation for our visit.  It sure gives a bump to the local economy.  At one Asian port, the terminal employees came out and lined up to wave the ship off.

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I need to learn to proof read better!  Thanks for catching it!

Yeah, that was a good one :classic_biggrin:

I have a feeling that it will become a standing joke for "whatever" between DH and me.

Who knows, maybe we'll refer to some odd behavior somewhere, as "Hmmm... they must honk their hosts, too!"

Or maybe, while traveling, "Hey, should we go honk some hosts while we are here?"

ALL sorts of possibilities.

GC

NCL does not go into this port anymore as they ships are to big but when we sailed on the Crown to Bermuda we went into and out of St Georges port after leaving Hamilton.  The cut is very narrow and they had a cannon on the Jetty which fired a round as we left,

Just now, Homosassa said:

The entrance into the harbor at St. George's, Bermuda, also used to be something to be on deck to see.

The cannons at Gates Fort would be fired as the ship approached the narrow channel into the port.

Damit, you beat me

We once sailed from NYC and got a fire boat salute.  

It was not a special sailing,  Nor do I remember any specific occasion that was going on at the time.  Perhaps it was not even for us.

NYC sailaways are always cool.  The best are after dark.

The last cruise ship to leave Skagway for the season.  As the ship gets ready to disembark, the last residents of the town come down to the docks to send off the ship.  Just when the ship releases from the docks, the town people then turn around and then "MOON" the ship.  They all drop there drawers and raise there tops.  I was told that this was a tradition earlier but was skeptical but what the heck what else am I going to do at send off.  Couldn't stop laughing.  Other cruisers were doubling over.  The town went crazy.   Would not of believed it unless I saw it.  Funniest thing I have ever seen from a large group of people on a cruise.😃

Edited by jskinsd
spelling