Tivoli Gardens Copenhagen at Christmas

gadabout60

We are going to be in the Tivoli Gardens just before Christmas and they will have their Christmas market. Has anyone been there at this time?

i am just wondering how much kroner to take as I don’t anticipate doing much more in Copenhagen. Don’t want to take too much currency but want to have enough to buy anything I want in the market. Or would cards be accepted?

if anyone has been at this time would be grateful for their thoughts

I have been at that time of year. It was in the evening and was unfortunately wet and cold and so kroner was needed for warm drinks!! However some of the goodies on sale at the market stalls are lovely. I am pretty sure that most places took credit cards although I paid in cash and probably spent about £50. It all depends on what you want to buy.

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Sounds like we are on the same cruise on Aurora? Can't wait. Thank you for asking the question, it hadn't crossed my mind.

Yes that’s the one

havent cruised with P&O for a while so will be interesting

We are also on this cruise and are really looking farward to it.

We did the Christmas Market cruise on board Aurora 4 years ago and we had an over night stop then so we visited Tivoli in the evening which was nice. On this cruise we leave Copenhagen at 5.00pm so we will probably visit early afternoon.

I think the admission charge is (park only) 110 DDK and we paid by CC last time.

Also, same as last time it looks like we are berthed at Langelinie, if so bus 26 will take you to Tivoli although we will probably take the shuttle into the centre and then it's a relatively short walk through the main shopping street to Tivoli.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there a few years ago, do not remember a chocolate factory then, but we did buy a hot chocolate from a stall.  There were some impressive ice sculptures, nicely lit with coloured lights, so I assume it is always pretty cold there at that time of year.  It was not as big as we expected and is basically a theme park, with some rides and shopping stalls etc like you get in our city centre Christmas markets now.  Would be a good place for children, or the young at heart.

i have to admit to buying a lot - I mean a LOT - of beautiful Christmas decs last time I was there in December. I am pretty sure they took credit cards. It was wonderful - cold but with flaming braziers to warm yourself beside and plenty of Gluwein to warm your insides.

We took cash with us last Xmas on Aurora (We were part of the choir that Sang songs for Santa when he arrived) and the wife spent the lot and we bought more expensive items with Credit Cards. All of the stores and stalls take cards if not there are cashpoints in the park as well.

Highly recommend the ships excursion as you bypass the queues to enter the park and at Xmas time it gets very busy but as the park is so large it doesn't feel overcrowded.

On 10/28/2018 at 8:00 AM, gadabout60 said:

We are going to be in the Tivoli Gardens just before Christmas and they will have their Christmas market. Has anyone been there at this time?

i am just wondering how much kroner to take as I don’t anticipate doing much more in Copenhagen. Don’t want to take too much currency but want to have enough to buy anything I want in the market. Or would cards be accepted?

if anyone has been at this time would be grateful for their thoughts

Hi. We’ve been twice and will be there again on this year’s cruise. (We were supposed to be on a much longer cruise this Christmas, but sadly had to cancel a few months ago, as my father is terminally ill.) We’ve just been able to book this cruise (last minute, today) as I think we can safely be out of the UK for that week, as he’s still ‘fine’.  

3 years ago, we went to Tivoli during the day (as Aurora left late pm) it was ‘ok’ but during the day it was lacking atmosphere. We didn’t go on any rides, as we didn’t know what most were! We didn’t spend much, except on some lovely Christmas decorations (see below).  We knew we’d not seen it at it’s best

Last year we returned, and ensured we did it differently. I downloaded their English android app. This shows exactly where you are in the park (useful!) and what each ride is (in English - very useful!). I also bought the two of us all inclusive tickets.  We made the most of these, going on everything, including all the kids ‘rides for all ages’. (We’re now both in our 50s, I wasn’t last year...) The fun house was fun, and we were the only adults!!! And everyone laughed when we went on the life size giraffe carousel!  The wooden rollercoaster is more scary than it looks (most is in the dark inside) and the mini big wheel has amazing views, we went on it twice, in daylight and in the dark.  Go on the Hans Christian Anderson ride, and see how few of the stories must have become popular in the UK, we recognised very few.  The illuminations after dark are lovely.  The evening light and sound display is absolutely STUNNING, make sure you see one display..  

I can’t remember spending much, some nice hot chocolate (expensive!) and must have bought some snacks (we got back to Aurora in time to have a late dinner, it may have been in the buffet, not sure, but we certainly ate somewhere!).

There are not many Christmas stalls per se. It’s not somewhere to visit just for a Christmas market, you could be disappointed...  It’s more that the shops which are there, are selling Christmas items, mostly mass market items.  I did find some lovely hand made Christmas tomte decorations in a small shop, near the entrance, 3 years ago.  Everywhere takes cards. I’ve never used any cash in Norway anywhere.  I took a bit of cash the first year, and had to find somewhere to try to use it up!   They like cards. 

We will go back again this year. Sadly though, our overnight stay this year is Sun to Monday. Last year the rides only had queues after dark. I imagine being a Sunday, it’ll be different this year and it’ll be heaving 😞 .  

We walk to Tivoli from the P&O shuttle bus drop off point. It’s not a massive walk if you’re used to walking.  May have been 20 minutes or so. The entry gate is on the Northern edge of the park (the first year, we arrived from town, on the Eastern edge, and ended up deciding to walk the wrong way round the perimeter to find the entry gate... ended up walking way 3x as far as we needed!) 

p.s. as a tip, Our and other recent Christmas cruises have not made it into Amsterdam, due to bad weather blocking the ships entering the sea locks... just be warned... we’ve not seen Amsterdam yet!  We’re hoping this year will be third time lucky for us...  Last Christmas, we spent nearly two days circling off the Norfolk coastline!  Our GPS trace we recorded on our phones is amusing!  

Have a great cruise, May be see you onboard 😉 

GBM

Edited by Goosebear Mum

I assume this thread is referring to the Aurora R824 cruise 10th -19th December.

If so, as I said in my previous post we are on this cruise but unfortunately our stay in Copenhagen on 14th is not overnight and is only 8.00am – 5.00pm.

Our overnight stop on this cruise is 17th – 18th and is in Amsterdam.

Edited by P-L-B

14 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Good luck with Amsterdam, she hasn't managed to get into that port at Christmas for a few years now.

Yes, unfortunately I’m aware of that.

The last Christmas market cruise we did on Aurora was December 2013 and we did manage Amsterdam on that occasion.

We will just have to hope that we can make it this year.

6 hours ago, P-L-B said:

I assume this thread is referring to the Aurora R824 cruise 10th -19th December.

If so, as I said in my previous post we are on this cruise but unfortunately our stay in Copenhagen on 14th is not overnight and is only 8.00am – 5.00pm.

Our overnight stop on this cruise is 17th – 18th and is in Amsterdam.

I was replying to the thread starter, and assumed it was about the Christmas cruise as the OP said “just before” Christmas, and we do have an overnight in Copenhagen “just before”.  The OP hasn’t stated specifically which, nor in their replies.  The Christmas cruise will have overnights in Oslo, Copenhagen and (hopefully!) Amsterdam.  

If not, and they’re on the one earlier in December, with yourself, with no overnight, then most of what I said still holds.  But I hope it leaves later then ours did in 2015 as we didn’t do Tivoli after dark that time. 

The Christmas market cruises last year didn’t get into Amsterdam either due to weather, so good luck there. I hope Aurora has better luck this year as she’s has an unfortunate few years.  

5 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

I was replying to the thread starter, and assumed it was about the Christmas cruise as the OP said “just before” Christmas, and we do have an overnight in Copenhagen “just before”.  The OP hasn’t stated specifically which, nor in their replies.  The Christmas cruise will have overnights in Oslo, Copenhagen and (hopefully!) Amsterdam.  

If not, and they’re on the one earlier in December, with yourself, with no overnight, then most of what I said still holds.  But I hope it leaves later then ours did in 2015 as we didn’t do Tivoli after dark that time. 

The Christmas market cruises last year didn’t get into Amsterdam either due to weather, so good luck there. I hope Aurora has better luck this year as she’s has an unfortunate few years.  

Thank you for the clarification.

Apologies, I see now that Aurora (R825) will be departing the day we return from our Christmas Market Cruise (R824) on 19th.

Sorry, should have checked. :classic_blush:

We have been to Copenhagen several times before and visited Tivoli once before and agree with all your helpful advice. Out of interest can you confirm the Shuttle bus drop off location last year in Copenhagen as I think they use a couple of locations?

Have a great cruise and we will try and leave Aurora in good shape before you embark on 19th:classic_smile:

46 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

Thank you for the clarification.

Apologies, I see now that Aurora (R825) will be departing the day we return from our Christmas Market Cruise (R824) on 19th.

Sorry, should have checked. :classic_blush:

We have been to Copenhagen several times before and visited Tivoli once before and agree with all your helpful advice. Out of interest can you confirm the Shuttle bus drop off location last year in Copenhagen as I think they use a couple of locations?

Have a great cruise and we will try and leave Aurora in good shape before you embark on 19th:classic_smile:

No need to apologise, people often think there’s only one cruise, and muddle the two up!  I often hope everyone turns up in Southampton on the correct date 😉  I was tempted with the Dec ‘markets’ cruise,  but we like being away over Christmas (also avoids the who do we visit/stay with/not upset issues... 😉

enjoy Aurora and all her decorations 🙂 

Thanks everyone for the very helpful tips

We are on the Christmas cruise (don’t usually like saying which cruise for insurance reasons but house not empty this time!)

Have been everywhere before so have carefully managed expectations. Indeed we got such a bargain price for this cruise that I can live with a few disappointments 

Decided to do the P&O trip in case weather not great and public transport on a Sunday not so good

Obviously fine with euros for Amesterdam and Bruges but will take a very small amount of Danish and Norwegian currency for tips and use cards for meals / shopping

Have been to Copenhagen in December, not with a cruise though, and visited Tivoli Gardens.  Tivoli Gardens is well worth the visit and the Christmas market inside had a  wide variety of things on their stalls.  We spent quite a bit. Don't know if they take cards as we only used cash.  I do know that Denmark is expensive.