food allergies Balmoral

Ruth Ire

Thinking about booking a cruise on the Balmoral but I have food allergies (dairy and soya). I don't get life threatening reactions but I would be ill for a day at a time if I get exposed. Anyone got experience with this ship and food issues? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ruth Ire

We once went on a long cruise on the Balmoral and one of our table companions had lots of allergies.  Each evening the waiter would bring the menu for the following evening to allow her to make an informed choice.  If the waiter was unsure he would seek advice from the chef.  I think you will be just fine.  

Lots of different breads are available at the breakfast buffet.  What you may have to be careful with, and I'm sure you must be already aware of it, is that people can place serving spoons in the wrong dish.  If you have an allergic reaction to prawns it could pose a problem.  But the waiters are exceptionally helpful so ask for help. 

Thanks, Coravel, the difficulty with bread is that almost all store bought breads have dairy and soya in. But if they are allergy aware I should be fine. I was just concerned in case they don't treat it properly. Saying that, I am reacting as I type after getting some dairy in my dinner out this evening......

From what I have seen and heard from others Fred is very accommodating for passengers with food intolerances.  There is a meetings with the Head Chef on the first day and you will be given your own menu to choose from the evening before for the next day.