Everything Hurtigruten - question answered!

hallasm

On 1/14/2019 at 3:13 PM, Bella0714 said:

Mind if I ask a question about booking through Vantage? Why are their prices nearly three times higher than the Hurtigruten.no prices?

Notice on the Vantage site for their Hurtigruten cruises that they include a number of shore excursions, which are not cheap when you buy them from Hurtigruten. This is one reason for the higher prices compared to booking through Hurtigruten.

I would just add about food; on the northbound leg of my trip on the MS Trollfjord, a woman at my table did not like seafood. After letting the wait staff know the first night, they automatically brought her a meat or poultry main dish for the rest of the cruise. In addition to the mean and poultry already mentioned, we had a very good duck breast one night (and I love duck).

On 1/15/2019 at 12:13 AM, Bella0714 said:

Mind if I ask a question about booking through Vantage? Why are their prices nearly three times higher than the Hurtigruten.no prices?

You cannot compare Vantage or Collette price offerings with Hurtigruten prices - Hurtigruten price is cruise only while Vantage and Collette does include flights and hotels in their price offerings.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:38 PM, hallasm said:

You cannot compare Vantage or Collette price offerings with Hurtigruten prices - Hurtigruten price is cruise only while Vantage and Collette does include flights and hotels in their price offerings.

Not all Vantage tours include airfare.

OK, thinking of a trip in either March or September 2020.

Advantages/Disadvantages those different times of year in terms of:

1) daylight (not in account of Northern Lights which i believe will not guaranteed to be around at those months)

2) access to fjords

3) scenery eg wildlfie

4) weather (rainy/stormy)

Also, is it worth a balcony? We loved balcony for NZ and stayed on it to watch the scenery but maybe too cold in Norway to do that?

Also, are the expedition/ice-breaker ships less "comforable" than the others?

Is it possible to book on the Norwegen website to save that 25% someone mentioned, and still be able to book add-on shore trips too? Paying in AUD very expensive.

Thanks a lot );

6 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

1) daylight (not in account of Northern Lights which i believe will not guaranteed to be around at those months)

2) access to fjords

3) scenery eg wildlfie

4) weather (rainy/storm

1) daylight will be fine for both March and September - March will be a good month for Northern Lights - Lights are never guaranteed, but March is on of the ‘better months’.

2) Hurtigruten is only sailing Geirangerfjord during summer. Not sure if they still are sailing into Trollfjord in September - anyway depending on weather. No difference for other Fjords. Apart from Geiranger and Trollfjord as well as Raftsundet, Hurtigruten doesn’t sail the ‘other spectacular Norwegian Fjords’. However, still spectacular sceneries.

3) More seabirds in September than March - in March still a lot of snow on the mountains and at North Cape and in Kirkenes.

4) Weather might not be a big difference - September might be more calm and warmer than March.

I would prefer March over September - good chances for Northern Lights and snow on the mountains.

8 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Also, is it worth a balcony?

For the answer in the post above I assumed Norway Coastal Voyage.

Only balconies at some of the suite cabins at the Coastal Voyage Ships and not all ships. Coastal Ships are working ships rather than cruise ships and all ships very different. The new expedition ships have more balconies.
Not much use of a Balcony in March along the Norwegian coast.

are the expedition/ice-breaker ships less "comforable" than the others?

I have not sailed the expedition ships however my understanding is that the expedition ships are comfortable but primarily sailing expedition cruises - not common on the Coastal Voyages along the Norwegian Coast , however some Norwegian Coast expeditions. Not quite an icebreaker - rather a ice-strengthend Hull 

iIs it possible to book on the Norwegen website to save that 25% someone mentioned, and still be able to book add-on shore trips too

That’s my understanding- I do book at the Norwegian site in NOK - only problem for you might be Norwegian Language- Google translate might assist. You can always add excursions - either at the booking or later by contacting sales support via email.

Hope I got answered all you questions. Hope others can add regarding expedition ships.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply, I have also been looking at packages through 50 degrees North , just gathering all the info I can at this stage no prices posted yet for after May 2020 (for a sept start)

I couldnt seem to get to the Norwegian website probably geoblocked or something, and weird I delected AUD but it bounced me back to Euros.

Will keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks again

11 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

I couldnt seem to get to the Norwegian website probably geoblocked or something, and weird I delected AUD but it bounced me back to Euros

Euro is probably at global.hurtigruten.com - but likely geoblocking in Australia - I have access to all sites - there is a ban on geoblocking in Europe.

14 minutes ago, Elka said:

My sailing on the Trollfjord did go into the Trollfjord in October. Only it was really dark when we went in. 

Thank you for the update - did only sail to the mouth of Trollfjord in January. 

20 minutes ago, Elka said:

My sailing on the Trollfjord did go into the Trollfjord in October. Only it was really dark when we went in. 

Were you still able to get a sense for how narrow it was, how tall the side cliffs at the start?

Thanks.

We also only "peeked in" in March.  It looked like it would be *impossible* to get in :classic_wink:

GC

17 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Were you still able to get a sense for how narrow it was, how tall the side cliffs at the start?

Thanks.

We also only "peeked in" in March.  It looked like it would be *impossible* to get in :classic_wink:

GC

When we went in it was dark, cloudy and raining. Couldn’t really see how narrow it was, got some glimpses, but it seemed like the Captain was determined to sail through. We had already gone through a medical emergency and a helicopter picked a passenger up in windy raining seas. We felt when the helicopter landed on the ship.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:29 PM, Sallyandtex said:

OK, thinking of a trip in either March or September 2020.

Advantages/Disadvantages those different times of year in terms of:

Hi Sally, I sailed end of Sept 2016. Saw Northern Lights 5 nights. Plenty of daylight.

2) access to fjords

3) scenery eg wildlfie

4) weather (rainy/stormy)

Also, is it worth a balcony? We loved balcony for NZ and stayed on it to watch the scenery but maybe too cold in Norway to do that?

Also, are the expedition/ice-breaker ships less "comforable" than the others?

We had very nice fall weather end of September. A little bit of rain in Hammerfest. I only needed my warmest jacket for Nordkapp b/c of the wind.

Not worth a balcony and I dont' think most ships have them. I was up on deck most of the time to watch the scenery and yes you have to be dressed very warmly to do so.

I sailed Nordnorge and found her very comfortable! I also sailed Midnatsol to Antartica and she was quite comfortable as well.

Is it possible to book on the Norwegen website to save that 25% someone mentioned, and still be able to book add-on shore trips too? Paying in AUD very expensive.

Thanks a lot );

I use a VPN and booked my most recent voyage on the Norwegian site. Much cheaper than the US site for me and for this voyage they asked for only a 10% downpayment vs 20% as usual.  Google automatically translates all foreign pages for me; might be an extension in my browser?  I didn't add any excursion since I do not want to pay so far ahead something I know I can book onboard. I also had to email after I booked to add my repeat guest number to get my discount. This was easily accomplished.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2019 at 4:07 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks.

GC

I did the Bergen - Kirkenes - Trondheim voyage in late Sept 2016. Northbound we sailed in late at night. It was clear with tons of stars and we saw Aurora earlier in the evening. The ship flashed big spotlights onto the walls. It was a pretty magical evening to be honest. 

Southbound, we sailed in during the day. I'd highly recommend the Sea Eagle safari since we sailed into the Trollfjord on the smaller boat! And then we watched our ship, Nordnorge sail in and passed each other. Was pretty special.

21 minutes ago, mcpepe said:

I did the Bergen - Kirkenes - Trondheim voyage in late Sept 2016. Northbound we sailed in late at night. It was clear with tons of stars and we saw Aurora earlier in the evening. The ship flashed big spotlights onto the walls. It was a pretty magical evening to be honest. 

Southbound, we sailed in during the day. I'd highly recommend the Sea Eagle safari since we sailed into the Trollfjord on the smaller boat! And then we watched our ship, Nordnorge sail in and passed each other. Was pretty special.

Good to know - thanks!

It *does* sound special.  Even the little peek we got into Trollfjord entry was amazing.  It just didn't seem possible the ship could go in there.  We hope to be back, and will try to time it so we can see this.

GC

9 hours ago, mcpepe said:

Thankyou so much that was exactly what I was after!

Have to wait until 2020 prices are released 😀

Hi Sally, I sailed end of Sept 2016. Saw Northern Lights 5 nights. Plenty of daylight.

We had very nice fall weather end of September. A little bit of rain in Hammerfest. I only needed my warmest jacket for Nordkapp b/c of the wind.

Not worth a balcony and I dont' think most ships have them. I was up on deck most of the time to watch the scenery and yes you have to be dressed very warmly to do so.

I sailed Nordnorge and found her very comfortable! I also sailed Midnatsol to Antartica and she was quite comfortable as well.

I use a VPN and booked my most recent voyage on the Norwegian site. Much cheaper than the US site for me and for this voyage they asked for only a 10% downpayment vs 20% as usual.  Google automatically translates all foreign pages for me; might be an extension in my browser?  I didn't add any excursion since I do not want to pay so far ahead something I know I can book onboard. I also had to email after I booked to add my repeat guest number to get my discount. This was easily accomplished.

Sally and tex. We sailed on the Spitsbergen mid September 2017 and saw the lights 5 nights. Also sailed into the Trollfjord night and day and the hjungerfjord (?) to Urke, which was beautiful and I think only done in September and October. We had a cabin with a window but spent most of the time on deck. Take layers.

We are also in Australia and on the UK website you can book to pay in GBP or Euros, it’s just a gamble on the exchange rates.

45 minutes ago, peppajay said:

and the hjungerfjord (?) to Urke, which was beautiful and I think only done in September and October

Yes - Hjørundfjord (difficult spelling) only In September and October while Geiranger in June to August. Beautiful sailing In the fjords.

44 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Yes - Hjørundfjord (difficult spelling) only In September and October while Geiranger in June to August. Beautiful sailing In the fjords.

Thank you  hallasm. We chose September due to the fjord, chance of seeing the lights and because it wasn’t high season. We had great weather and loved the whole  Hurtigruten experience. 

3 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Thanks everyone, Sept sounds perfect, just also wondering if the round trip is better or should we dedicate the extra days on land?

There are very different personal preferences - IMO a round trip is too much of the same and I think northbound is the best choice - however, others will mean that you will experience different views and ports back and forth as many places passed by at night one way are passed on the day of the opposite trip.
My suggestion is a few days in Oslo - trains from Oslo to Bergen with stops and some days in the Flåm area  - sort of 'Norway in a Nutshell' followed by some days in Bergen - and possibly a few days in Kirkenes.

9 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Thanks everyone, Sept sounds perfect, just also wondering if the round trip is better or should we dedicate the extra days on land?

We have down the round trip a number of times and think the excursions on the Southbound are the most interesting....Breakfast at the Cape, the drive across part of the Lofotens, the Atlantic Road and the Sea Eagle. Heading north you have more time in Alesund and Trondheim to wander about.  It is purely a choice of what you enjoy and how much time you have.

9 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Can be a long discussion if northbound excursions are better than southbound or..

You’ll also have have Lofoten Islands northbound as well as Hjørundfjorden, Geiranger and Trollstigen Pass, Svartisen Glacier and Birdwatching safari at Gjesvær.

Also you’ll sail to Geiranger northbound. (During summer)

Edited by hallasm

18 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Has to be a personal decision. Coming from Australia we did the round trip as thought we may never get that way again ( now going to Svalbard in August!).

Breakfast at the North Cape was wonderful. We had a night in Bergen before and after and did the Norway in a nutshell round trip from Bergen after the cruise.which I highly recommend. Can never have too much Norwegian scenery IMO.