Everything Hurtigruten - question answered!

hallasm

Certainly. Cities like Kirkenes and Tromsø have a few hours in the middle of the day with twilight but if you go further north it's full night 24 hours a day. In return for the polar night in the winter, they have midnight sun in the summer - are at least as fascinating. Kirkenes has the midnight sun for 65 days during June and July.

Link to more information.

• 4 weeks later...

We just booked a Southbound voyage for december 2019. I read in the terms and conditions this: Please provide us with the name of your insurer, together with their 24-hour emergency number when you book or as soon as possible.
It is the first time I read about this and I think it is a little bit strange, or not?
Did anyone of you give Hurtigruten this information?

On 1/3/2019 at 9:15 AM, hallasm said:

I’m sailing next week and has not been asked or not provided any information about my travel insurance to Hurtigruten. 

hallasm

I hope your voyage is everything you've hoped for - perfect Winter weather for your excursions, calm seas, and multiple spectacular displays of the Aurora!

Thank you Hunding. Weather forecast is pretty good - a bit warmer than expected with decreasing temperatures. Light to moderate breeze, expecting calm seas.

Auroral activity is a bit low but hope for clear skies - at least north of Tromsø. 

My plan is to post some video postcards during the voyage. 

Hi everyone,

I'm in Bergen, having just disembarked from a 12 day classic voyage on MS Finnmarken. 

There were many positives about the voyage:

- excellent food

- relaxed, casual vibe

- no need to dress up for dinner - walking around in outdoor gear is the norm!

- comfortable cabin (mini suite on Deck 6)

- multi lingual staff who generally spoke excellent English

- stunning scenery.

However there were also some disappointments:

- three of our pre booked excursions we're cancelled- the lofoten brewery, dog sledding (not enough snow), and snow mobiling (ice too thin).

- as we had pre-booked out excursions (paid before embarking), we were not refunded immediately- we've been told the expedition team must submit their report to head office first, and this is communicated to the travel agents. Those who booked on board received direct refunds the same day.

- we have no documentation proving the excursions were cancelled - we only received verbal confirmation from the expedition team and the said it was NOT company policy to provide this in writing.

- we did not see the Northern Lights (as far as we know, there was NO confirmed sighting by the ship during our voyage).

My question is: has anyone had experience with the Hutigruten Northern Lights guarantee? We have nothing in writing and only the word of expedition team members.

Thanks.

Elf

35 minutes ago, elfelfelf said:

My question is: has anyone had experience with the Hutigruten Northern Lights guarantee? We have nothing in writing and only the word of expedition team members.

The program is called "Northern Lights Promise" and as I understand the terms and conditions only applies to voyages booked from Hurtigruten directly - not if booked through an agent.

Unfortunately, the temperature is higher than usual this winter and thus less snow and ice - also more clouds. During the last days the Auroral activity has been rather high, but with the many clouds impossible to see.

I'm sure that the refund of the excursions will be solved by your travel agent.

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

The program is called "Northern Lights Promise" and as I understand the terms and conditions only applies to voyages booked from Hurtigruten directly - not if booked through an agent.

Unfortunately, the temperature is higher than usual this winter and thus less snow and ice - also more clouds. During the last days the Auroral activity has been rather high, but with the many clouds impossible to see.

I'm sure that the refund of the excursions will be solved by your travel agent.

Ah thank you. I wasn't confident that I got the terminology correct!  We booked through the Hurtigurten UK site.

I'll follow up with them tomorrow about the refunds. 

Your right about the cloud cover! The Aurora activity was definitely increased in the past 3-4 days, though we always tended to be just at the  edge of the area (according to the three apps I was following!). Actually last night was the first time I got a probability alert over 20%! We had a lot of cloud cover though. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:27 AM, hallasm said:

I understand that any booking - on a RT basis, in season (beginning October 1st) - qualifies.  However, it is *any* sighting, so if the crew sees the lights at 2 in the morning, there is a documented sighting.  Doesn't matter if no one other than the crew is up and sees it. 

We booked through a TA, and she was told this by a representative in the Hurtigruten US office.

Fran

12 minutes ago, franski said:

I understand that any booking - on a RT basis, in season (beginning October 1st) - qualifies.  However, it is *any* sighting, so if the crew sees the lights at 2 in the morning, there is a documented sighting.  Doesn't matter if no one other than the crew is up and sees it. 

We booked through a TA, and she was told this by a representative in the Hurtigruten US office.

Fran

I do not really know how good the offer is - I have highlighted some of the conditions in bold - some tight limitations.

The promise is applicable on Roundtrip voyages between 1 October and 31 March

Northern Lights Occurrence is defined as a sighting from the ship which is recorded by the ship’s deck officers and which is announced to passengers on board. An occurrence can last anything from a few minutes to a matter of hours, and the ships decision as to whether the Northern light occurred is final. 

If the Northern Lights do not appear, we will give you another 6 or 7-day Classic Voyage in an unspecified inside twin cabin on a half board basis free of charge

Link to conditions

18 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I do not really know how good the offer is - I have highlighted some of the conditions in bold - some tight limitations.

I know....  I am hopeful that there will be a sighting, but even if there isn't, I plan to enjoy the trip.   I figure that someone, somewhere on board will see the lights - and the chances of anyone getting a "free" trip are pretty slim.  I also notice it is an inside cabin with half-board - so it would still cost you to take them up on this offer.  Not sure I would - unless it was to travel during the Polar night.

Fran

It has been rather cloudy the past weeks with very little chances for sighting. People at the bridge have pretty good chances to see the light if it appears. I’m studying the weather forecast right now for the following weeks - improving a bit. Leaving  by Wednesday, however only for the 6 nights to Kirkenes. Then I’ll stay for some additional nights in Kirkenes - might enhance my chances for sighting.

15 hours ago, hallasm said:

Northern Lights Occurrence is defined as a sighting from the ship which is recorded by the ship’s deck officers and which is announced to passengers on board.

As far as I'm aware (after talking with other passengers and the expedition team) there was no announcement during our voyage. Im keen to see if Hutigruten confirms this, and follows through on the offer. 

Otherwise it might suggest it's a meaningless promise.

14 hours ago, hallasm said:

Leaving  by Wednesday, however only for the 6 nights to Kirkenes. Then I’ll stay for some additional nights in Kirkenes - might enhance my chances for sighting.

A few passengers reported seeing Northern Lights during excursions out of Kirkenes. We had reasonably clear skies there. 

We are looking at doing the Norwegian cruise thru either Collette or Vantage Travel, both utilize the Hurtigruten ships.  My question is about food.....I am a rather picky eater and will not eat fish at all in any form.  Do these ships serve proteins other than fish?  

4 hours ago, creamsoda63 said:

We are looking at doing the Norwegian cruise thru either Collette or Vantage Travel, both utilize the Hurtigruten ships.  My question is about food.....I am a rather picky eater and will not eat fish at all in any form.  Do these ships serve proteins other than fish?  

A good question - Hurtigruten serves a set menu for the evening dinners - traditional Norwegian dishes are served from the areas where you pass - often local fresh products are loaded in a harbor the same day as they are served for dinner. The largest proportion of food in Norway is fish - therefore also a lot of fish for dinner (starters and main courses)  - it is possible, however, to inform about special requests for menu -  it should not stop you from a trip with Hurtigruten .

I would suggest that you ask questions about Hurtigruten's CEO Daniel Skjeldam here at Cruise Critic on January 28th, where he will answer all your questions about Hurtigruten. See other thread.

4 hours ago, creamsoda63 said:

Mind if I ask a question about booking through Vantage? Why are their prices nearly three times higher than the Hurtigruten.no prices?

52 minutes ago, hallasm said:

A good question - Hurtigruten serves a set menu for the evening dinners - traditional Norwegian dishes are served from the areas where you pass - often local fresh products are loaded in a harbor the same day as they are served for dinner. The largest proportion of food in Norway is fish - therefore also a lot of fish for dinner (starters and main courses)  - it is possible, however, to inform about special requests for menu -  it should not stop you from a trip with Hurtigruten .

I would suggest that you ask questions about Hurtigruten's CEO Daniel Skjeldam here at Cruise Critic on January 28th, where he will answer all your questions about Hurtigruten. See other thread.

We became friends with the group at the next table had a very limited menu restriction.  They presented her with a special plate every evening, without any fuss.

And I'm a pretty fussy eater, and was a bit worried before our trip last March.  In fact, I was expecting that I'd need to buy burgers or whatever at the little cafe.  However, the food was terrific!

I also have one unusual food allergy, one that isn't a major ingredient, but can often be used as a garnish.

On a few evenings, I was presented with a plate with a quiet announcement (for me, not for the entire dining area!) that it was prepared without any <x>.

And at the lunch buffet, although there was lots of fish (ditto at breakfast), there was also other "meat" of various sorts, and some of that was very yummy too.

Perhaps Hallasm can take a quick look with this in mind at a lunch buffet, in terms of 'protein'.

(My guess is they may have something else they could offer as well, perhaps from dinner menu, if needed, but you should double check before relying upon that.)

We found the food to be really delicious.  Great desserts, too (alas... burp).

GC

6 hours ago, creamsoda63 said:

Gotta tell you that fish -- lots of various "whitefish," shellfish (shrimp, crab, mussels), branzino (the name given to a number of varieties of sea bass caught any number of places in any number of oceans) -- will be offered morning, noon and night.  Chilled, baked, broiled -- think of a way you can eat fish, and you will find it during a Hurtigruten voyage.  I adore fish, so I was kinda in Heaven...most of the time. 

Now: The day's menus are posted by breakfast time, so if you take a second to read them, either going in or coming out of the dining room at breakfast, and you see something on the evening's menu you don't care for (usually the entrée is fish), all you have to do is turn around and speak to the person behind the desk at the entrance to the dining room.  Tell them you would prefer, please, to have either meat or vegetarian -- those are your two other choices.  They will be unable to tell you anything other than that they will relay your message to the kitchen, and you will be accommodated without fail.  Understand, there is no menu from which to choose, and you will not know what you will get for the entrée that evening for dinner, but it won't be fish!  I guarantee it will be tasty, but it probably won't be a filet mignon, either.  I switched several times on an 11-day voyage, and twice had lamb.  One other word of advice -- if you are a frequent cruiser, you are probably used to large servings, or even the offer of "seconds."  Neither will be the case on a Hurtigruten ferry.  Dinner is usually a very small appetizer (usually involving some sort of leftover and, sorry, fish); an entrée; and a very small dessert, usually something "creamy" in a small cachepot.

I don't believe chicken was ever offered in any form, but turkey was the entrée at dinner two days after Thanksgiving -- a good chuckle!  (BTW, on Thanksgiving we had reindeer.)

At breakfast and lunch there are so many, many dishes from which to choose, both cold and hot, you will be overwhelmed -- and never give a thought to the fish on offer, so you won't even have to think about it.  

We tended to eat very well at breakfast and lunch because dinner was...um...slighter than we were/are used to.  It all worked out.  And I hope you love potatoes..................................

7 hours ago, creamsoda63 said:

Was on Hurtigruten in October. I am a very picky eater will not eat seafood. I looked at the dinner menu and when I didn’t want it they accommodated me. The meat was really good and they made me feel ok. There was lamb, chicken and elk, reindeer. 

8 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

And at the lunch buffet, although there was lots of fish (ditto at breakfast), there was also other "meat" of various sorts, and some of that was very yummy too.

Perhaps Hallasm can take a quick look with this in mind at a lunch buffet, in terms of 'protein'.

...lunch buffet ef very varied both fish and meat.

For dinner take a look at the menu card - There might be minor variations from season to season.

8 hours ago, Bella0714 said:

Mind if I ask a question about booking through Vantage? Why are their prices nearly three times higher than the Hurtigruten.no prices?

Good point - check prices at Hurtigruten Norwegian site and prices in NOK (not global prices in other currencies like $, € or £)

Thank you for the "foodie" thoughts and ideas - my mouth is already watering... As I love fish but don't eat anything with arms or legs ( like crabs, octopus or other crustaceans) I plan to send Hurtigruten an e-mail hoping to be served alternatives at dinner time. Reindeer and elk and lamb sound good... That's the advantage of buffets!

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

check prices at Hurtigruten Norwegian site and prices in NOK (not global prices in other currencies like $, € or £)

I did - we're contemplating a cruise to Greenland - and noticed that prices in NOK compared to Euros are about 25 % less which is quite a lot in regard to the (understandably) high prices for that kind of expedition cruise.

Do you know if it is really possible to book at the Norwegian site and pay in NOK?

Again we wish you clear skies, lovely food and lots to write about for us to follow on this thread...

3 hours ago, grayjay said:

I did - we're contemplating a cruise to Greenland - and noticed that prices in NOK compared to Euros are about 25 % less which is quite a lot in regard to the (understandably) high prices for that kind of expedition cruise.

Do you know if it is really possible to book at the Norwegian site and pay in NOK?

If you book at the Norwegian web in NOK you’ll pay in NOK - some communication might be in Norwegian language, but google translate normally does a nice job.

The huge difference in prices might be a good question for Q&A with Hurtigruten CEO Daniel Skjeldam