Everything Hurtigruten - question answered!

hallasm

16 hours ago, hallasm said:

I believe that there will be no direct flight from LAX to BGO in 2020 - Norwegian Air is reducing their network quite dramatically with a high focus on profit.

Have you heard anything about OAK/SFO or SEA?  We're going back next April.

5 hours ago, clo said:

Just want to make sure that we're on the same page.  Direct doesn't mean non-stop, you know that, right?  Lots of people don't.

Right.  However for me a direct flight is primarily non-stop flight - or does not involve a change of aircraft. 

Several possibilities with one stop but no which does not involve change of aircraft. 

• Like 1

A few questions to the helpful experienced Hurtigruten coastal cruisers here:

1.  In booking and expedition suite for the coastal round trip, I did not see an option to upgrade to the "platinum" fare option.  Did I miss it during the booking process?  I'm assuming (based on the listing of inclusions) that the expedition suites books into the "select" fare - any anecdotal experiences with the platinum package and how much of a cost premium was it?

2.  On the the benefits of  the platinum package is the a la carte dining.  If one does not get Platinum package, on the website, they say the a la carte option is only bookable on board.  Any experiences with a la cart dining and incremental cost?

3.  Elsewhere in forum, a discussion about excursions noted that on board pricing for excursions (not sold out) may be discounted.  What has been a typical reduction in your previous sailings?

4.  Hurtigruten offers excursion packages with an OBC  (not bookable on line).  Anyone recommends these?  Any experiences?

5.   Hurtigruten site offers rail info  Norwegian National Railroad (Vy) from Oslo (and others) " as part of the arrival or departure packages..."  I'm assuming that we are talking about pre or post extension? Is it worth considering or DYI is a better option?

Lots of newbie questions.  I appreciate the sage advise and first hand experience everybody has to offer and share.  Much appreciated.

Edited by Homerody
typos

1. Platinum package - did once consider that option myself but did not found it ‘worth the price’ - unfortunately I do not have my notes anymore. 

2. I have not used a la carte dining - found it too expensive compared to the MRD offerings - have seen very few guest in a la carte restaurants

3. offered as a discounted package onboard.

4. No  experience with OBC - offer might varying from different travel agents / countries.

5 easy to book train and busses on vy.no - make arrangement for transport and hotels yourself - some travel agents does offer flight/transfer/hotel in on package.

Bergen is a nice city - consider train from Oslo to Bergen and stay in Bergen a couple of nights.

Sorry for not having full details on platinum and a la carte - others does have experience. Depending on what you’re booking check prices at Hurtigruten.no web.

@hallasm, thank you for reply.

Planning my 1st Hurtigruten coastal RT is very exciting.  At the same time, I have soooo many newbie questions.   

I hope that the more I know, the more informed decisions I can make.  (not necessarily better ones!  😀)

46 minutes ago, Homerody said:

I hope that the more I know, the more informed decisions I can make. 

Exact the reason for this forum. Hurtigruten is not a mainstream cruise line and it’s important to get all the answers to the questions for a successful voyage.

Happy to assist. 

• Like 1

Norway is an easy country to DIY, and if you want to do pre or post-trip additions it will usually be much cheaper to book on your own than through Hurtigruten. If you organize your own pre-trip, I woud advise to plan to arrive in Bergen the night before (Bergen is a nice city and well worth a visit anyway).

13 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

How many pax does a Zodiac hold?

Not sure if any of Hurtigruten ships are using Zodiac - I know the most Hurtigruten ships have 'Polarcirkel boats' which is a Norwegian equivalent to Zodiac.

The Polarcirkel boat are custom build and has seating for 12 passengers.

17 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Not sure if any of Hurtigruten ships are using Zodiac - I know the most Hurtigruten ships have 'Polarcirkel boats' which is a Norwegian equivalent to Zodiac.

The Polarcirkel boat are custom build and has seating for 12 passengers.

Thanks. I think we have just assumed they use Zodiacs!

3 hours ago, franski said:

Question re: meal times...

What time(s) are the early and late seatings for dinner?  (We are doing RT coastal Norway).

Thanks.

Fran

Seating are from 18:00 to 20:30 - You'll be assigned a table and time - If you want a  different time/table - just ask

Link to daily program for North Bound

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a safe in the cabins?  If not, what is the best way to "secure" items?  I am thinking mostly of passports, but usually put my wallet in the safe because of my credit cards. 

I do not plan on taking my purse around with me while I am on board...  so prefer to have a "safe" place to keep it while we are out of the cabins.

Fran

10 hours ago, franski said:

Is there a safe in the cabins

Hurtigruten ships are very different - and so are the cabins. That answer will depend on Ship and Cabin type.

Very few ships in all cabins, for some ships is suites but in general no safe in the cabins. Might change now when several ships will get a make over.

Valuables can always be stored in the reception's safe. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, franski said:

Is there a safe in the cabins?  If not, what is the best way to "secure" items?  I am thinking mostly of passports, but usually put my wallet in the safe because of my credit cards. 

I do not plan on taking my purse around with me while I am on board...  so prefer to have a "safe" place to keep it while we are out of the cabins.

Fran

I usually do on ships like you do - put passports and extra money in a safe in my cabin - but there was none even in the suite we had on one of the newly refurbished ships.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are booked on an Antarctic cruise in Feb 20 and it appears the majority of the cabins are still available. Does anyone know if Hurtigruten will offer cabin upgrades for a reasonable price to those currently booked as the departure approaches?

Just now, p18750 said:

We are booked on an Antarctic cruise in Feb 20 and it appears the majority of the cabins are still available. Does anyone know if Hurtigruten will offer cabin upgrades for a reasonable price to those currently booked as the departure approaches?

Who are you sailing? I know when I just sailed Fram in Greenland there was a sign at reception that said to "ask about available upgrades." Not sure about doing it ahead of time.  Worth a try!