Everything Hurtigruten - question answered!

hallasm

2 minutes ago, mcpepe said:

Who are you sailing? I know when I just sailed Fram in Greenland there was a sign at reception that said to "ask about available upgrades." Not sure about doing it ahead of time.  Worth a try!

We are on Roald Amundsen. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jonsmum61 said:

Is there a self-service laundry on board?

Yes, at deck three - more information in topic link below.

Enjoy your cruise and the a Northern Lights - just note that it will be very, very  cold at the outer decks watching for the lights.

- just make sure you get answers to all your questions - important since Hurtigruten And the coastal route is not a regular cruise ship expierence.

Edited by hallasm

2 hours ago, jonsmum said:

Can we take a couple of bottles of wine on board with us?

Just for clarification  - Norway has a strict alcohol policy  - wine can only be purchased in shops called Vinmonopolet.

From Hurtigruten travel Information for Norwegian Coastal Voyages “Due to the strict laws surrounding alcohol in Norway, and for the safety of our guests, alcohol that has not been purchased on board may not be consumed in any public area of the ship or in your cabin.”
That said, bags are not scanned or checked when entering the ship.

On 11/3/2019 at 8:30 AM, jonsmum61 said:

We are travelling on the Finnmarken later this month - 11 night coastal.  Random question......  Is there a self-service laundry on board?

Thanks

I read the thread posted above by hallasm...  our experience on the Kong Harald was a bit different in that there was no charge for either the washing machines or dryers.  (We travelled last month.).  Apparently the tokens/detergent system was a bit of a nightmare, so you just put your clothes in the machine - chose the cycle (hot/warm/cold) - and hit "start".  The detergent dispenses automatically.   We didn't have any problem getting a machine when we wanted to do our laundry.

Fran

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

Just for clarification  - Norway has a strict alcohol policy  - wine can only be purchased in shops called Vinmonopolet.

From Hurtigruten travel Information for Norwegian Coastal Voyages “Due to the strict laws surrounding alcohol in Norway, and for the safety of our guests, alcohol that has not been purchased on board may not be consumed in any public area of the ship or in your cabin.”
That said, bags are not scanned or checked when entering the ship.

No, bags are not checked... but - about bags.  There is *no* place (at least that I found...) where you were given a plastic bag - you had to purchase one.  We shopped at a grocery store a couple of times along the way - and, so had purchased a couple of bags.  We just made sure we took them along with us when we left the boat - in case we wanted to buy something.

Of course, you could always take a reusable bag with you. I actually wished I had thought to bring one (I have a few of them - but didn't pack any...)

Fran

7 hours ago, jonsmum said:

We're in a U2 on Finnmarken.  What storage space is there (if any!) for suitcases?

I have not sailed Finnmarken, but space is in general very limited for Arctic/Polar cabins.

When I have been sailing Hurtigruten I have been travelling light with limited sized luggage/Cabin suitcase. No need for a lot of clothing or changing of clothing.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:29 AM, jonsmum said:

Hi.  We're in a U2 on Finnmarken.  What storage space is there (if any!) for suitcases?

Thanks

We were in  a an N2 on the Kong Harald - and the pictures seem to indicate the rooms are similar in layout.

We stored 1 suitcase in the closet, and another just up against the bathroom wall.  We did not find it impacted our use of the space at all.

Fran

• 1 month later...

We are sailing on the MS Midnatssol 12/29 to antiartica.  Anyone sailed her before?  What is the temperature like IN the ship?  Do they keep it reasonably warm?  And if you know . . . what about the work out room?  Pack sweats? or leggins and t-shirts for working out?

any info would be appreciated!

Marlene

We are sailing on the MS Midnatssol 12/29 to Antarctica

.  Anyone sailed her before?  What is the temperature like IN the ship?  Do they keep it reasonably warm?  And if you know . . . what about the work out room?  Pack sweats? or leggins and t-shirts for working out?

Marlene

1 hour ago, jaxteatime said:

We are sailing on the MS Midnatssol 12/29 to Antarctica

.  Anyone sailed her before?  What is the temperature like IN the ship?  Do they keep it reasonably warm?  And if you know . . . what about the work out room?  Pack sweats? or leggins and t-shirts for working out?

Marlene

Yes! I did Last november. The ship is very warm to the point where many of us wore T shirts around the ship. For the gym you can wear what you would wear at home to the gym. Have an amazing time!

On 12/15/2019 at 9:27 PM, mcpepe said:

Yes! I did Last november. The ship is very warm to the point where many of us wore T shirts around the ship. For the gym you can wear what you would wear at home to the gym. Have an amazing time!

Yep. We wore short and tees during the day. And here's Bob post-breakfast 🙂

IMG_6463.JPG