Everything Hurtigruten - question answered!

hallasm

On 12/23/2019 at 9:51 AM, p18750 said:

We are sailing the Antarctic on Roald Amundsen in Feb 20 and were wondering if anyone had experience with Internet service in the Antarctic. 

Just checked with Bob and neither of us remember it so we're guessing it was okay. It faded in comparison to this:

IMG_6414.JPG

IMG_6342.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG

At the very first stages of planning Norway trip. This thread, (and others) is a great help, but still have questions:

1. Does Sept. show the fall colors yet?  Are there a lot of hardwood trees?

2.  Looking at the Hurtigruten site it looks like many of the cabins are already sold.  Is this in fact the case, or are they just blocked because it is so far out?

3.  Can one expect to arrive back in Bergen and still make the train to Oslo, or just spend the night?

4.  Do the fares posted by Hurtigruten include board, or must you purchase it separately, particularly in the inside cabins?

Are you looking at a specific ship and date / or range of dates?

Your questions

1. Not a lot of hardwood trees along the coast - have not sailed September so no accurate answer, but in general I would not expect a lot of fall colors - - above Lofoten very few trees.

2. I did have a quick view at the Hurtigruten  Norwegian web abd found many available inside cabins.

3. there is a train at 4 pm arriving into Oslo 10:30pm - I would recommend to stay overnight in Bergen and take the train while daylight - the train trip is scenic.

4. Board included might depend on the site you're booking at

Edited by hallasm

There is actually quite a lot of beautiful fall colors. I've taken this trip at the end of September and mid-October and had really nice colors on both trips. You can see the trip reports and pictures on my blog (link in signature) if you are interested. The exact dates varies from year to year, but colors start in the North earlier than in the South (mid-end September in the North and ealry-mid October in the South).

It's a great time to visit because you also have nights dark enough for a chance at NL and long enough days for sightseeing. It can be rainy though (again, very variable from year to year). Also, in September and October the ships sail into the Hjørundfjord which is beautiful.

Are you looking at the full trip or a port-to-port trip? In the second case, the cabins for port-to-port are not release until 6 month in advance so they may appear as "sold out" for now, but they are not.

I would also recommend spending the night in Bergen and taking the train back to Oslo in daylight. Do not plan tight connection in Bergen on arrival, you never know what can happen.

Around Finnsnes, end Sept 2014

0957p8860.jpg.90da1fdf6886f27b76630feb74006bca.jpg

Raftsundet in Lofoten, early Oct 2014

1747p1158.jpg.0ab3984d023d4d3f0d043481057c46f2.jpg

Hjørundfjord, mid-Oct 2019

fb1-100084.jpg.5297dcb3ad73df9a494a3aa00d8df597.jpg

fb-100413.jpg.35cb8d4346f014e29f7a3e0bc10d459d.jpg

Near Ornes, mid-Oct 2019

fb-120215.jpg.bcc8efec02acfd4df8fec80fad5ac716.jpg

fb-120899.jpg.6200b0ddb73357dd2471aa8710eaac77.jpg

• Thanks 1

(Is this the spot to put any ole question?)

We're doing the NB Norwegian coastal on the Lofoten in early March. I can't remember the rules re carrying on wine. Can we take it to the dining room and have them charge us corkage? Thanks.

8 hours ago, clo said:

We're doing the NB Norwegian coastal on the Lofoten in early March. I can't remember the rules re carrying on wine. Can we take it to the dining room and have them charge us corkage? Thanks.

The official policy is that you cannot take any alcohol on board.

It's actually possible (so far) to bring some bottles if you are discreet about it, but you need to drink them in your cabin only, not in public places and you will not be allowed to bring your own wine in the restaurant (because of Norwegian laws on alcohol sale and consumption).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, clo said:

Can we take it to the dining room and have them charge us corkage? Thanks.

Below from ‘Practical Information’ I received prior to my last voyage (translated from Norwegian Language) - As said by SarniaLo - be discreet - luggage is not checked - In Norway everything about 4.7% is considered alcohol.

For your own and other guests' safety it is not allowed to enjoy brought alcohol on Hurtigruten ships, neither in common areas nor in the individual cabin.  All the alcohol that is purchased outside the ship must be kept by the reception.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate the info. Even though it's not been even a year yet, for the life of me I couldn't remember. And, like everything in Norway, the wine on board was quite expensive. An older (than we) English couple had wine at lunch and dinner (good for them!) and were paying about $75/btl. But, hey, you're only one once 🙂

Hi

I am travelling at the end of March on the 12 day round trip tour.  This will be my first cruise and i will be travelling solo. I have a few questions please:

1. I have an allergy to some foods - will they be able to accommodate me on the evening meals?

2. What time are the evening meal times and if you are on an excursion at your allotted meal time will you just miss your meal or will you get served on the other sitting?

3. I have been through the excursion list and identified the ones that are available at the time of my trip

- do people have any recommendations ? I was thinking of the husky. Sledding, rib ride and snow mobiling 

- i could go on an excursion every day but am thinking it may be too tiring - what is the normal do an excursion every day or spend some days on the ship?

- is it better the excursions before you travel ? I was thinking of booking ones that looked like they are people limited and then book ones that are not so restricted on the ship, does it cost more to book on the ship?

- on the exercise classifications can anyone explain further on the levels 3 and 4? I am reasonably fit but will hit the big 6 0 this year so it’s a trip i have been looking at for years and finally booked ?

4. Lastly I am an allocate a cabin when i turn up are these ones more or less the same ? I know it’s external?

5. What are the prices for alcohol and soft drinks please ?

Thank you very much . Will probably come back later with more questions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mcnicm20 said:

Thank you very much . Will probably come back later with more questions

Welcome to Cruise Critic - Right place for all your questions - we will do our best to answer.

Which ship? - some answers might depend on ship - ships are ery different.

1. Yes. My recommendation will be to contact the ship prior to your cruise with your request/requirements. I'll provide email when I know which ship.

2. Dinner id from 6 pm to 8:30 pm . might vary if excursion. you'll be assigned time and table at boarding - you can change the time and table if necessary.

3. In March the main attraction is the Northern lights - please dress properly for long stay at the outer decks during night. Husky and snow crap if snow and ice - the winter in Norway is very mild this year. North Cap from Honningsvåg is a must. You can walk in cities with longer stops - in general excursions are quite expensive.

Some popular excursions (Dog Sledging) might sell out - normally you can buy three or four excursions on board at a reduced price -recommendable if you do not have any special requirements - if expedition team at the ship they will also arrange some additional excursion.

Personally I would plan for three to four excursions - depending on ship there might be lectures every day.

Do not know about the classification of the exercises

4. You'll get a cabin in the category you have booked - but cabins are very different - you can check the different layouts for your ship.

5. I normally by wine by glass - NOK 110 to 140 per glass. Can remember sofrdring proces.

For your inspiration I have made a blog from my last cruise - January 2019.

Just be back with more questions - important to be prepared.

2 hours ago, Mcnicm20 said:

on the exercise classifications can anyone explain further on the levels 3 and 4?

Physical level for Hurtigruten Excursions
Level 1 - Suitable for all
Involves limited physical, most of the tour is operated by vehicle.

Level 2 - Suitable for most
Involves moderate physical activity on relatively level surfaces and gentle terrain.

Level 3 - Average physical Condition
Involves physical activity on uneven surface and/or steep terrain. You may be expected to carry your own backpack and equipment. Not suitable if you have limited mobility.

Level 4 - Good physical condition
Involves a high level of physical activity over an extended period, in terrain that may often be uneven, slippery and steep. You would be expected to carry your own backpack and equipment. Not suitable if you have limited mobility.

Edited by hallasm

15 minutes ago, Mcnicm20 said:

Thank you very much Hallasm for the answers. I’m on the Nordlys

Nordlys was renovated last year - they do have expedition team and lectures. 
The expedition team excursions are announced onboard. 
Do only book the excursions in advance you’ll not want to miss - My recommendation will be North Cape, Dogsledding and King Crab excursion.

Those were the excursions I did.

Regarding Special diets, it can be catered for if requested in good time. Passengers on strict diets may find that there is a limited choice.

I’ll suggest to contact booking@hurtigruten.com with your requests. 
You might also contact Nordlys directly at 
resepsjon.nl@hurtigruten.com

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

3. In March the main attraction is the Northern lights - please dress properly for long stay at the outer decks during night. Husky and snow crap if snow and ice - the winter in Norway is very mild this year.

I haven't followed the weather situation in Norway that well, but in Finland it has also been warm winter so far and about half of the country is currently without any snow, however in the north at places the snow cover has been record high for this time of the year. And quick web search found snow depth map for Norway and if I interpret it correctly there is quite decent snow cover especially in mountains and northern parts of Norway.

• Thanks 1

I just received the travel documents for my cruise on Feb 12 and it mentions labelling your luggage. For those of you who have done these cruises does Hurtigruten provide luggage tags or do I need to make some up with our name, cabin, etc. If they provide them when should we receive them?

thanks

Assuming boarding in Bergen - check-in is almost like an airport. Just label your suitcases as for air travel. No luggage tags provided.

Enjoy your voyage - hope for at lot of solar activity and Northern Lights.

Just remember to dress properly for the very cold outdoor decks during night - watching the lights. 

Sorry, I am on the Antarctic cruise on Roald Amundsen. The instructions say to label your luggage with your full name and cabin number. On other cruise lines they supply luggage tags to make sure your luggage gets to your cabin and I was wondering if Hurtigruten supplied them or if I need to make some up before I leave. 

9 hours ago, p18750 said:

Sorry, I am on the Antarctic cruise on Roald Amundsen.

Sorry - very big differences on Hurtigruten Norway Coastal Voyages from Bergen to Kirkenes and their expedition cruises - I cannot answer your question.

• 2 weeks later...

] I wanted to pass this along in case it applies to others travelling to the Antarctic. We received our travel documents from Hurtigruten about three weeks ago and they included a note "You will receive one more mail from us approximately 2-4 weeks before your departure. This will contain your tickets for your itinerary and flights". Since we leave in a few days for Santiago and we had received no further mail from Hurtigruten I called the travel agent and also Hurtigruten to make sure we had everything we needed before we arrive in Santiago. 

The travel agent knew nothing about the note and when I finally got off hold for Hurtigruten they told me this note applies only to people who have booked flights or excursions thru Hurtigruten and so it did not apply to us. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bob brown said:

Curious if anyone can post a "daily program" from a Roald Admundsen Antarctic cruise....

I understand that they are very lecture intensive, but am wondering if they also might include some trivia quiz's?

I can’t answer your question but I will be hoping you do a review post cruise. There have  been greatly differing reviews for Hurtigruten in Antarctica. I followed your round the world posts on Oceania and would value your opinion. Congratulations to you and Betsy.

Lou

6 hours ago, Louby-Lou said:

I can’t answer your question but I will be hoping you do a review post cruise. There have  been greatly differing reviews for Hurtigruten in Antarctica. I followed your round the world posts on Oceania and would value your opinion. Congratulations to you and Betsy.

Lou

Thanks!

If we have free (and decent internet), I may do a "live from" thread...

On 2/14/2020 at 7:00 AM, bob brown said:

Curious if anyone can post a "daily program" from a Roald Admundsen Antarctic cruise....

I understand that they are very lecture intensive, but am wondering if they also might include some trivia quiz's?

Perhaps contact Hurtigruten.