Canary Island cruise?

phabric

Princess has a cruise to the Canary Island.  I have done 2 British Isles and will be doing Western Med in Oct.

Has anybody done a Canary Island cruise?  What was your any information on this cruise would help to decide?

What is there to see?

Is it all beach ports?

What is the itinerary as each island has a different character?

We did a 7 night Canary Island cruise last year (not with Princess) departing Tenerife and visiting Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Agadir (Morocco), La Palma and Madeira.  The north of Tenerife is very attractive and, for us, far more interesting than the south which is just large beach resorts, Gran Canaria is best known as a beach destination but the Maspalomas Dunes are amazing https://www.canaryislandsinfo.co.uk/gran-canaria/places/maspalomas/ and there is excellent shopping in the islands capital, Lanzarote had stunning lunar landscapes at Timanfaya https://www.lanzaroteguidebook.com/information/sightseeing/attractions/timanfaya-national-park as well as beaches, La Palma was small and quaint, Morocco was unbelievable (our excursion to Taroudant was the highlight of the week) and Madeira absolutely beautiful.

We enjoyed sailing round the Canaries so much that we have booked to go again in December with a slightly different itinerary - Tenerife, Gran Canaria, La Gomera, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote and Madeira.

I notice you are also going on a Western Med cruise - we came back from our latest Western Med cruise yesterday (sailed from our home port of Malaga); considering it was late October the weather was excellent so hope you get the same.

Edited by campolady

• 2 weeks later...

When I booked our Iberian cruise, I didn't know a thing about the Canary Islands.  All my husband knew about them is that they were (apparently) a popular tourist destination for Europeans wanting to go to a beach.  

On the cruise we had a day on the island of Lanzarotte (port town of Arrecife) and a day on the island of La Palma (town of Santa Cruz de la Palma).  Our cruise (on Oceania) did not go to Tenerife or to one of the other islands.   I loved both islands and both days we had.  We rented a car on both days and went exploring.  The roads were great, and so was the car rental, although I realize that renting a car on a cruise is not for everyone.  Timanfaya park was awesome, plus I loved the modern artsy places created by local artist Cesar Manrique.   Driving around La Palma was also nice, and we saw several lighthouses, salt pans, a volcano crater, and interesting scenery.

I would LOVE to go back to the Canaries!

My photos are here:  http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/iberian_sojourn__portugal_spain_gib&page=all

Edited by roothy123