Macaroons!

Ready to Sail!

I just thought of another very important question.  Does the World Cafe regularly have macaroons?  I have an obsession with them.  I have read that Gelato is available daily (another obsession) but would sure like to know I can get my macaroon fix also. If so, I'll start dieting right now! 

You do know that macaroons are not what would be called a "mainstream" dessert. Have you ever seen them on the dessert menu in a restaurant? I haven't. You don't need to start a diet. I cannot recollect ever seeing a macaroon at the dessert station in the World Cafe. They certainly will not be on the menu in Manfredi's (but the tiramisu is terrific) or the Chef's Table. 

43 minutes ago, Richard2 said:

You do know that macaroons are not what would be called a "mainstream" dessert. Have you ever seen them on the dessert menu in a restaurant? I haven't. You don't need to start a diet. I cannot recollect ever seeing a macaroon at the dessert station in the World Cafe. They certainly will not be on the menu in Manfredi's (but the tiramisu is terrific) or the Chef's Table. 

Yes, I do know that and that is why I asked about the World Cafe and not the Restaurant.

47 minutes ago, Richard2 said:

I would not expect them in Manfredi's since they are a French cookie.

Ready to Sail, I like that someone is asking the important questions such as will we get macarons on Viking?  This will be my first ocean cruise so I don't exactly know what to expect.

Edited by Scootoir

2 minutes ago, Scootoir said:

Ready to Sail, I like that someone is asking the important questions such as will we get macarons on Viking?  This will be my first ocean cruise so I don't exactly know what to expect.

Very exciting to be anticipating your first cruise.  Hope you love it and enjoy many more in the future.  We took our first cruise 30+ years ago.  We've seen a lot of changes over the years but I still am excited to be looking forward and planning for the next one.   This is our first Viking cruise so see, we are both newbies!

Scootoir, enjoy your first Ocean Cruise! I am quite sure you will have a wonderful time. Things have changed a lot since our first cruise. Rest assured you will not see skeet shooting off the stern! I think handing loaded weapons to passengers would be frowned upon these days.

24 minutes ago, Scootoir said:

Good that you are doing your homework. Sometimes you don't know what you didn't know until stumble across it. Please ask questions about anything you don't understand. We are always happy to answer questions.

4 minutes ago, retiredman said:

Scootoir, enjoy your first Ocean Cruise! I am quite sure you will have a wonderful time. Things have changed a lot since our first cruise. Rest assured you will not see skeet shooting off the stern! I think handing loaded weapons to passengers would be frowned upon these days.

LOL! for sure, but it was fun.  My husband and I were into trap shooting "back in the day" so we did participate in this activity and it was on our very first cruise going down the Mexican Riviera.  It was on a ship called the Azure Seas, long gone of course. They did 3 and 4 day cruises out of LA.  Great memories of those old ships.

53 minutes ago, Scootoir said:

Then you are looking for macarons.  I hope they will have them in at least one of the restaurants on Viking.

We live and we learn. Reading here sent me Googling:

Macarons vs. Macaroons: What's the Difference? ... Aside from both being delicious and similar in spelling, macarons and macaroons are entirely different cookies. First off, a macaroon is coconut based, whereas a macaron is meringue based.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peregrina651 said:

We live and we learn. Reading here sent me Googling:

Macarons vs. Macaroons: What's the Difference? ... Aside from both being delicious and similar in spelling, macarons and macaroons are entirely different cookies. First off, a macaroon is coconut based, whereas a macaron is meringue based.

And they certainly look and taste totally different.  I had never heard of Macarons until we went to Paris, where my obsession began-with macarons and Paris!

1 hour ago, retiredman said:

But wouldn’t we all be safer if every passenger was given a loaded gun??!! 😎😉🇺🇸

1 hour ago, retiredman said:

3 hours ago, retiredman said:

Oh but I might have enjoyed skeet shooting.  I loved the Viking River Cruise and hope I will feel the same about the Ocean cruise.

3 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

And they certainly look and taste totally different.  I had never heard of Macarons until we went to Paris, where my obsession began-with macarons and Paris!

Feeding my macaron habit in Paris last year.

Macarons small.jpg

Edited by Scootoir
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, retiredman said:

The days of skeet shooting from the aft decks stopped late 70's/early 80's. At that time, it was stopped due to concerns with dumping garbage, as nothing was permitted to go overboard.

You are totally correct that in current times, pax using loaded weapons on board, would not be conducive with the Ships Security Plans required by the ISPS Code.

20 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

I just thought of another very important question.  Does the World Cafe regularly have macaroons?  I have an obsession with them.  I have read that Gelato is available daily (another obsession) but would sure like to know I can get my macaroon fix also. If so, I'll start dieting right now! 

Talking from one Macaroon fan to another,  I have not seen them in the World Cafe but I am pretty sure  they have them in the Winter Garden at tea time.

However, unfortunately,  the Winter Garden at tea time does NOT have a help-yourself buffet spread (which they have on Oceania cruises at tea time.). The waiter brings to your table a selection of pastries, sandwhiches and cakes. And usually amongst them, there is ONE (yes only ONE) macaroon for each table. 

I discovered that Viking staff are usually very helpful and keen to please. If you request to them that you would prefer more macaroons, (and fewer of those not-so-interesting cakes or sandwiches),  they would bring it to you.  Only thing is, at tea time, unless you go real early, the Winter Garden is frequently full and there has been discussions on this board about finding tables.  Also, you may have to wait quite  a while sometimes to get served.

If I am correct, you could also go to the Explorer lounge nearby which has lots of free tables and they would serve you the teatime treats as if you are in Winter Garden (both Winter Garden and Explorer Lounge is on Deck 7). Do not forget to ask them for more macaroons!

Please note that  on Viking Cruises,  they only have ONE FLAVOUR of Macaroon for each tea time serving, but the flavours change . My favorite is their pistachio macaroon.

As you love Macaroons, you might also like other pastries made with ground almonds , which Viking seemed to do quite well  . Once, we came across La Fenetra, which again was made with ground almonds and egg whites, with the kind of texture which is  a kind of cross between a macaroon and a cake. It's crispy on the top outside and melt-in-your mouth almondy meringue-marzipan-cake inside.  Trouble was, they only had it once in a 14 night cruise.  The desserts at the buffet in the World Cafe were usually nice, but their standards vary between meals. Sometimes, they were quite imaginative, other days, they were a bit "boring".  I do not believe they have many (if any) intricately decorated gateaux which you could cut yourself. In any case, the buffet has servers who prefer that they serve you.

Mamsen's, their pop-up deli-shop on Deck 7, it  also  had some very yummy cakes including one which has ground almonds (I think it was called Princess Cake) which you may enjoy. It reminded me of a kind of frangipane tart.

As for Gelato, their flavours changed every day in the World Cafe. Some were more successful than others. I think they even have a sugar-free gelato.  However, their gelato did not taste very rich or creamer, but they were quite pleasant all the same. 

So, yes, you'll have to start dieting now!  🙂

PS: If you happen to be flying through Paris Charles-de-Gaulle airport , and flying via Air France (or any SkyTeam airlines)  first or business class, in the Air France lounge they tend to put out a selection of Macaroons to help yourself.... all included in your air fare!

Edited by Gnoelj

We will be going through CDG, but not Air France.  I am assuming I should be able to pick some up at one of the shops in the gate area, if I am functioning after having been traveling for almost 18 hours at that point.

For those of you who are into Macarons and go to Las Vegas, one of the Whole Food Markets there have some very good ones and lots of variety.  I tried to get them at a Whole Foods in the Bay Area once but they were not as good.  I have the name of the bakery who provides the LV store somehwere?  They can be ordered on line.  Will try to find that info. 

Scootoir, this picture is for you!  A little Macaron snobbery here, LOL!  This was 4 years ago and I still have the bag!

DSC03608.JPG

• Like 2