Check in time to avoid crowds

kathleen21

We will be leaving out of Barcelona, spending the night before the cruise and site seeing the day of embarkation. The ship leaves at 1800. Travel agent recommends being at dock at 1600. I would love to time it so we spend as little time as possible in line waiting to board. (Wouldn’t everyone! 😁) I’m thinking 1400 might be a sweet spot. Any opinions? If it matters, we are on the Sovereign in May. Thanks!

I boarded the Zenith on 20th October out of Barcelona.  I arrived at the port at 1100 as I had had to check out of my hotel.  There was a queue to hand your luggage to the handlers which went down fairly quickly.  Once inside the port building there was a queue to go through the security screening.  After that,  you are in the cruise check in area.

I would suggest that you check in online beforehand, because that way you bypass the queue for check in, which was very long.  I was through the check in area and sitting waiting to board by 11.50.  Boarding started at exactly 1200, although cabins weren't ready until 3.

Hope this helps