Condition of the ship

BPT

When you read reviews you look for the sweet spot. Drop the 10% on either end and make a decision based on the 80% in the middle, the 'sweet spot'. 

You don't go on the PG because of all the latest frills some cruise lines seem to be offering with brand new ships. No  .... you go on the PG because of the incredible crew, good food and the beautiful destination. The PG is in good shape for here years and the cruise line routinely has a dry dock every few years for re-fitting and maintenance. There is no better way to enjoy French Polynesia than on-board the Paul Gauguin, she is the Grande Dame of French Polynesian waters. The PG is the perfect size ship for French Polynesian waters. Big enough to have many of the things you would expect but small enough that you get personal attention, crew members will know your name and the drink you prefer. The PG was specially made for French Polynesian waters. Her shallow draft allows her to go places larger ships may not be able to go. She calls FP home year round so her crew knows the islands well which can be a great help when you have a question. Many of the crew of the PG has been part of the family for a long time, many over 10 years, they love their little ship.

• Like 1

I don’t want a fancy all decked out in chrome ship ..I don’t want 1k passengers...I want the pg, it’s crew and the relaxed nature of the cruise....there is nothing like it..see you back in early oct 2020! 

• Like 2

I agree with the above replies...it was our first sail aboard the PG last July (and hopefully not our last)!  The staff, food, attention to detail, and destination, of course, were fabulous!  The facilities were perfect for us....we loved the smaller size of the ship and the ability to enjoy the common spaces without hordes of people competing for seating.  

We would go back in a heartbeat!

I had read bad reviews about the condition of the ship and was worried before we sailed. But I have to say, I have no idea what those people were talking about. Sure, this is a small cruise-line, so I do not expect it to have water slides, flo-riders, etc. But everything was clean, modern and in great condition. I never once saw something that I did not like. It was also, such a treat to have a tub and not a tiny corner shower as on some of the larger ships.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The ship was in dry dock in early 2017. She goes back to dry dock in 2020. Got new soft furnishings (pillows, sheets, etc.), new pool deck and furniture. La Palette got all new furniture. New seating on aft deck. 

The round loungers on the pool deck are WONDERFUL! And all the lounge chairs are PADDED now!!! :)

She's a FINE ship.