Caribbean cruise on the Spirit

Hermione60

Hi everybody,

This will be our first Caribbean experience - the Spirit leaves Ft Lauderdale on Nov 28 and gets back there on Dec 11. We have booked a slew of excursions with Silversea - some snorkeling, some horseriding, etc. Being new to this part of the world, and not knowing exactly what Silversea provides, I'm wondering if there are any special items I should bring. Other than the obvious (clothes, Kindle, toiletries, etc.), on my list I already have :

- 2 snorkeling masks (the big all-in-one ones)

- 2 bathing suits each

- 2 sports shorts each (for excursions, easy to slip over the bathing suit and easy to take off)

- 1 pair of hiking trousers each (light ones, mostly for the riding excursions)

Do I need to bring beach towels or does Silversea provide them? What about fins? Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, first time you have been to the Caribbean? I have probably been at least 2 dozen times over the last 15 years...…….it can be VERY HOT...…..I would suggest bringing a VERY high number sunscreen......seriously.  The Caribbean sun is HOT.

Some folks use hats...…..that would depend on you.  

Sounds like you have a lot of tours planned...……..give yourself some relaxing time too:classic_biggrin: and hope you have a great cruise!

Thank you both for the advice!

Yes, we live in Switzerland, so the Caribbean is really far for us, hence the fact that it's the first time.

I plan to buy high-grade sunscreen in Miami (where we will be staying for a few days prior to the cruise), you Americans sell much stronger sunscreen than what we can find here.  And hats are already planned - I can't survive Summer without a hat in Switzerland, imagine the Caribbean!

There are 2 sea days on that cruise (I always look for a cruise with at least one, preferably two sea days, I love having a few) and the rest of the time we won't be too stressed, the excusrions are usually rather short ones - we indeed plan to relax and just enjoy being there.

Yes, someone told me about reef walkers, and a colleague lent me a pair she had bought in Greece. Now I have to find a pair for my SO - here or in Miami, we'll see. Thank you for the reminder!

Well, if you are on the same cruise, maybe we'll meet on board! :classic_smile:

Speaking of this cruise, we have heard different reports about when we may first board on the 28th in Fort Lauderdale.  2 to 5 p.m. has been mentioned, but that seems rather late.  We will be at the ship by 12:30, and wonder if we will be able to board around then?  We have heard that the category of suite you have matters and that there may be priority boarding. Truth or rumor?  Many thanks for any information.

They say boarding from 2pm - 5pm to spread it out a bit but actually they start boarding at noon unless there's been some delay. 

They say the suites will be ready at 2pm to give themselves plenty of time but they are mostly ready earlier - on this current cruise I boarded at noon, had lunch, and was in my suite and fully unpacked by 2pm.

One of the lovely aspects to cruising with Silversea is that there is no priority embarkation for upper-tier suites. We are all special 🙂

To echo what others have said, boarding is generally between noon and 5, even though they advertise it as 2-5.

Enjoy!

We have noticed that all of a sudden availability in the three least expensive cabin classes is gone and marked "Waitlist".  We are sailing on November 28th.  Any ideas on why availability suddenly disappeared after so many months of being on the market?  Can there hopefully be reasons other than partial charter, incentive cruise or selling to a discounter?  We prefer to think positive, but hate surprises and would welcome any information.  Many thanks!!  

Hi, the cruise is next week right? Couldn't the cabins have just sold out without any "special circumstances"? Why does it sound like you think something is wrong? I have cruised to the Caribbean more times than I can count and they are usually sold out all the time.

18 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, the cruise is next week right? Couldn't the cabins have just sold out without any "special circumstances"? Why does it sound like you think something is wrong? I have cruised to the Caribbean more times than I can count and they are usually sold out all the time.

Unless they are slow in updating things, it seemed odd that the three least expensive categories should suddenly be filled up in one day so close to sailing after sitting for months and months.