Camera suggestions

rob6465

7 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

What does this have to do with the Carnival Cruise line forum? A Google search will provide plenty of answers and info. 

you are absolutely correct, but to answer we bought a $250 Nikon touch screen, HD, yada, yada, never used it sold it on eBay for $175 when we got home. The pixels and functionality of the new phones is excellent. Unless you are a photographic junkie, stick with your phone. My brother has a $1000 camera and 5 lenses, some people are into photography. 

If I were in the market for a point n shoot camera, and had no interest in carrying around a DSLR with multiple lenses, I'd get this:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-sx740-hs-black

I've always been a fan of Canon mid-range "pocket-size" P&S cameras (still use one underwater) and this one has a nice big zoom range which one just can't get with a camera phone - no matter how good the sensor is.

Edited by CT Sean
spellng

15 hours ago, rob6465 said:

Always used my phone camera for my 10+ cruises and this December I want to use a point and shoot camera. Any suggestions on a camera under $400 Thanks

You may want to take a look over on DPReview's being guide page https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

There is a specific category of compact, long zoom 'travel' cameras [like the Canon suggested above] or water resistant 'tough' cameras for beaches and other potentially wet excursions.

I'm a fan of Sony HX_V cameras.  The HX80 now has a viewfinder.  I haven't used this specific camera myself, my last one is a HX50V.  It doesn't have a viewfinder, other than that it is an awesome little pocket camera.  You can get the HX80 for under $400 with a decent package of goodies on our favorite shopping site.

Vic

If you have a fairly recent higher end phone (like an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy... say, within the past 2-3 years old or newer), I'd just stick with that.  Perhaps consider getting one of those lenses that attach maybe.

The cameras on the new phones are incredible for most use cases now.  Point and shoots don't get good until you get into the $400-$1000 range.  At that point, you may as well consider either upgrading to the newest and best iPhone/Android or look into interchangeable lens cameras.

I'd much rather just use the camera on my iPhone 7 than your typical $200-300 point and shoot.  For sure, DW's iPhone X would be a way better phone than either of those two.  The lenses on high end smartphones are pretty good and their photo processing software is amazing at this point.

If you insist on a point and shoot, I prefer the Sonys.  Even an older RX100.  Canon would be my other choice for a cheap point and shoot.  It'll be slow to trigger the shutter (smartphones are way faster), but the colors and stuff look pretty decent on even a cheap ELPH.

Edited by gambit57

I just made the move from Point and Shoot with large zoom to Mirrorless. I bought a Sony Alpha 600 (with one lens you can get it for around $400) super light and with TONS of features> I bought a smaller telephoto so now i have two lenses and im very happy with it. We also have a waterproof nikon but thats a different discussion :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming it's the a6000?  Fantastic camera.  It does get a bit more complex when you can change lenses, but it also allows you to do a lot more.  The sensor on the a6000 is a lot bigger than the sensor on a phone or cheap point and shoot.  This means your photo file has more data in it.  More detail typically.  If things look "off", you can adjust things so that they look the way you want more than you could with a file from that cheap point and shoot.  Some people don't wanna go through that effort though, which is why I say you just use the camera on your phone.

If forced to choose, I'd pick a cheap Canon point and shoot as I like how it makes the color of people turn out over how Sony does it.  Sony has more pleasing colors (to me) for most scenic landscapes than Canon IMO.

Edited by gambit57

On 11/6/2018 at 11:38 AM, dalenjen said:

I just made the move from Point and Shoot with large zoom to Mirrorless. I bought a Sony Alpha 600 (with one lens you can get it for around $400) super light and with TONS of features> I bought a smaller telephoto so now i have two lenses and im very happy with it. We also have a waterproof nikon but thats a different discussion 🙂

Going on 5 years with my A6000 and still think it's one of the most groundbreaking cameras Sony ever released. Compact, fast, great images. 

Have fun with it and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them. Several experienced regulars here own a A6x00 series camera.

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pierces said:

Going on 5 years with my A6000 and still think it's one of the most groundbreaking cameras Sony ever released. Compact, fast, great images. 

Have fun with it and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them. Several experienced regulars here own a A6x00 series camera.

Dave

Thanks Dave! Im really enjoying it. I have two lenses and Im good. It takes amazing pics for a relatively low cost

• 2 weeks later...