Galveston Port is not user friendly

Gr8tful4cruzin

I recently went out of Galveston with Royal Caribbean.  It will be my only time using this port.  Once off the ferry, iit was confusing and unnecessarily complicated.  We took the ferry over to the island where we were to depart from.  Once there, we spent almost an hour figuring out where to go and how to get there.  The police were out in force directing traffic; not that the traffic was moving.  There was limited signage directing you to the terminal.  And while you can see the terminal and multiple entrances and exits, it was difficult locating the one that cruisers are to use.  Once we were on the right street to enter the terminal, it still took another hour to move about six blocks.  They do this at least once a week, I would expect them to have their act together better.

Upon returning to Galveston, we were supposed to disembark at 815 (self-assist).  We were unable to leave the ship until 940.  RC did not give us the reason, however, observing the staff, it was clear that they were equally frustrated with the delay and it wasn't RC creating it. 

Sorry you had an issue getting to the port.  There is only one road, Harborside, that runs along the Port of Galveston and only one entrance to the terminals.  The ships can be seen from almost any point in town and the ferry.

Disembarking the ferry on Ferry Rd. Right on Harborside - Port on right side.

In regard of disembarkation, the delay is typically caused by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.  It always takes longer when the ships have made a stop in Roatan due to drug interdiction.

We have sailed out of Galveston for over 15 years and find the port no more difficult to maneuver than any other port.

34 minutes ago, aknguyen said:

I'm confused. You took a ferry to where? Galveston is an island so that's where you depart from.

They were coming into Galveston from the Bolivar Peninsula. There's a car ferry from Bolivar to Galveston Island. This is not the way 99% of the people come into Galveston.

No date was given but I wonder if there was an event in town that day that caused the traffic. There usually isn't that level of traffic. Galveston has a lot of festivals and gatherings and they sometimes have streets closed off for them. For future reference, it's a good rule of thumb to check https://www.galveston.com/calendarofevents/ to see if there will be anything that could affect the drive in to port.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:32 PM, Gr8tful4cruzin said:

I recently went out of Galveston with Royal Caribbean.  It will be my only time using this port.  Once off the ferry, iit was confusing and unnecessarily complicated.  We took the ferry over to the island where we were to depart from.  Once there, we spent almost an hour figuring out where to go and how to get there.  The police were out in force directing traffic; not that the traffic was moving.  There was limited signage directing you to the terminal.  And while you can see the terminal and multiple entrances and exits, it was difficult locating the one that cruisers are to use.  Once we were on the right street to enter the terminal, it still took another hour to move about six blocks.  They do this at least once a week, I would expect them to have their act together better.

Upon returning to Galveston, we were supposed to disembark at 815 (self-assist).  We were unable to leave the ship until 940.  RC did not give us the reason, however, observing the staff, it was clear that they were equally frustrated with the delay and it wasn't RC creating it. 

Sounds like it was confusing' because there was no due diligence in preparation for your drive in . Also do you not have a smart phone with maps and directions capabilities . The ferry approach to the city and once on island, the port is the easiest and fastest way to port . You are also  now on cruise critic, and there are many threads just on Gulf Coast Departures,  with posted map of island .  (   Download Map of Galveston Island   )  Posted also are  short cuts around traffic for ingress to terminals and parking lots.  The Port of Galveston website has excellent maps and directions and specific instructions to entrances. Where were you parking , the parking lots  had information also to access lots and port area.

You say limited signage , which means there was signage.

Something does not add up !   

As far as disembarkation ,

Could there have been a required Federal Coast Guard inspection by law.

Royal Caribbean can be a staging and release of passenger issue .

Yes Immigration can cause major problem in any port .     

Galveston is known for its rich vibrant history as well as its strong commitment to building a better future. The Island hosts over 7 million visitors a year who are attracted to the same features that brought visitors over a 100 years ago – the Island’s natural beauty, nature tourism activities, many large festivals, first-class hotels and restaurants, arts & cultural activities, historical museums and fantastic recreational attractions.

Galveston has 32 miles of beach and has two first class convention centers.                                                                         Harborside Drive beautification improvements and new ingress/egress project with terminals is underway . A new multi-story parking garage is being built for terminals #1 &#2 .  The Highway system between Houston and Galveston is under massive expansion and partially completed. . Cruise passenger transfers between Houston airports and Galveston have greatly improved, with better cruise line's transfer services and with other with private companies. Houston has two international airports. The movement of ships issue during fog is somewhat resolved now from litigation between the Cruise Lines and the Pilots.     And Galveston is striving for Port of Call Designation, it has so much to offer.  

The Port of Galveston is home to three year-round Carnival Cruise Line ships including the new Vista , one year-round Royal Caribbean ship, one seasonal Royal Caribbean ship and a seasonal Disney Cruise Line ship.                                            

The Port of Galveston is located strategically right on the Gulf of Mexico.. Also with Galveston being at doorstep of the expansive market place of the entire midwest corridor of US , and with Houston soon to be the 3rd largest city ,and with 5 of the 15th fastest growing cities in the US in TEXAS. Galveston is a desired home port.

Galveston Island is already a major tourist destination,  with ample tourist infrastructure support.

Edited by ssb

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, Texas Tillie said:

They were coming into Galveston from the Bolivar Peninsula. There's a car ferry from Bolivar to Galveston Island. This is not the way 99% of the people come into Galveston.

Really, I didn't know that.  It may explain why other's were bewildered by my experience. 

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, Galveston Cruiser said:

Sorry you had an issue getting to the port.  There is only one road, Harborside, that runs along the Port of Galveston and only one entrance to the terminals.  The ships can be seen from almost any point in town and the ferry.

Disembarking the ferry on Ferry Rd. Right on Harborside - Port on right side.

In regard of disembarkation, the delay is typically caused by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.  It always takes longer when the ships have made a stop in Roatan due to drug interdiction.

We have sailed out of Galveston for over 15 years and find the port no more difficult to maneuver than any other port.

You are right, we could see the ship.  And when we finally entered the terminal, we realized we had passed it on the way in.  However, once past it, we ended up driving to the other end before turning around and following the long line of cars that knew where they were going. 

Didn't know that about Roatan.  It is a beautiful stop. 

Sorry to hear about your frustration with Galveston.  I can't speak to the ferry portion since we drive in from I45 and park near the port.  We've always had great experiences sailing from Galveston.  It's handy for us since we don't have to fly to get there.  We also use walk off self assist for debarkation.  Another benefit to taking very little luggage! 

The other cruisers are correct about Honduras.  If the ship has stopped there, the debarkation process takes longer.  Other issues can also cause big delays.  We sailed on the Liberty again in May.  Debarkation was greatly delayed because Guest Services was trying to track down a passenger.  Until all passengers were cleared, no one could leave the ship. 

I hope you give Galveston another try, but I can certainly understand your issues. Good luck!

On 11/2/2018 at 8:59 AM, Gr8tful4cruzin said:

Really, I didn't know that.  It may explain why other's were bewildered by my experience. 

Most come in on I-45 from Houston. Considering how long the ferry took, you may want to give the main route a try if you ever decide to cruise out of Galveston again. You'll drive a few extra miles, but most likely save some time.  I-45 to Harborside, then about five minutes later you're at the terminal.