Extra points on a free upgrade to a Suite

I know I've seen this question before, but, with this new setup, I can't seem to find the answer.

If you get a free upgrade to a JS, will you get the extra points?  It really doesn't matter, but, would still like to know if you do.  We just got upgraded from an ocean view to a JS for our cruise this Thursday. The extra points would be nice, but, I know we didn't pay for them. I'm just really happy that we got the JS, so not really expecting the extra points. I'm just curious. This is only our 2nd upgrade in close to 40 cruises on Royal.

Thanks....

Gwen 😀

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Theoretically no, but you never know.

I got points for our free Pinnacle cruise. 

Didnt pay a dime other than tax and tips.

The naysayers tell me I'll eventually lose them.

Thanks, I didn’t think we would.  I’m just happy for the upgrade.  The extra points would be nice, but, I wouldn’t have had them to begin with.  We should get our 420 block on this cruise. We will never make Pinnacle, but, it’s fun trying......

Gwen 😀

54 minutes ago, cruzinlady1947 said:

I know I've seen this question before, but, with this new setup, I can't seem to find the answer.

If you get a free upgrade to a JS, will you get the extra points?  It really doesn't matter, but, would still like to know if you do.  We just got upgraded from an ocean view to a JS for our cruise this Thursday. The extra points would be nice, but, I know we didn't pay for them. I'm just really happy that we got the JS, so not really expecting the extra points. I'm just curious. This is only our 2nd upgrade in close to 40 cruises on Royal.

Thanks....

Gwen 😀

We were given an upgrade on a cruise last November from balcony cabin to JS, and I didn't know the ruling, but I queried the number of points we had been allocated which was just the points for the balcony cabin, I was informed we didn't qualify for the extra points for the JS because we hadn't paid for a JS.    It's just as well we didn't pay for the JS, because it was in a very bad position on the ship, and we ended up being under the galley for the Windjammer.   We learned a lesson the hard way!!!!  

1 hour ago, texmex.ferr said:

We were given an upgrade on a cruise last November from balcony cabin to JS, and I didn't know the ruling, but I queried the number of points we had been allocated which was just the points for the balcony cabin, I was informed we didn't qualify for the extra points for the JS because we hadn't paid for a JS.    It's just as well we didn't pay for the JS, because it was in a very bad position on the ship, and we ended up being under the galley for the Windjammer.   We learned a lesson the hard way!!!!  

Thanks, I knew I probably wouldn’t get the extra points, just thought I’d ask.  I think we will be under the Solarium.  It won’t be the worst place we’ve ever been.  Hopefully it won’t be bad.  I’m still happy about it.  

Gwen 😀

I would call and see how much to upgrade to a GS.  If there is any available and this close to sailing you might get a really minimal price to upgrade.  If you pay anything, you'll get the points.  I did it once and ended up in a OS for $49.00.

4 hours ago, maryjaden said:

I would call and see how much to upgrade to a GS.  If there is any available and this close to sailing you might get a really minimal price to upgrade.  If you pay anything, you'll get the points.  I did it once and ended up in a OS for $49.00.

The rules say you do not get double points for low cost/ free upgrades. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, little britain said:

The rules say you do not get double points for low cost/ free upgrades. 

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Agree.  That rule was changed not that long ago.

Free is a definite no, but there must be a $$ threshold for low-cost upgrades, because we received double points for an upgrade from a D4 to a JS on Oasis that only cost us ~$300

1 minute ago, Trainer said:

My daughter and I got an upgrade from Balcony to JS last year.  Did not pay anything, and we were upgraded after boarding. We did pay the increased automatic service fee.

There is no increase in the service fee between a balcony and a JS. It only kicks in on GS and above.

7 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Free is a definite no, but there must be a $$ threshold for low-cost upgrades, because we received double points for an upgrade from a D4 to a JS on Oasis that only cost us ~$300

The rule now says that you get the extra points if you pay the published rate.  So you could pay $1 and get the extra points if that was the published (web site) rate for the new stateroom.  You could also pay $500 and not get the extra points if the published rate was more than $500.

You're right about extra service charge. I went back and looked.  It was good thing as the steward was probably the least effective I've ever had..  Never could find her when we looked and the room was never made up before noon.  I normally tip the steward something extra but not this time.

28 minutes ago, dreadpirate3 said:

I called and requested a no cost upgrade from a balcony to a JS last fall on my December 17th cruise on Freedom. I was given double points.

Which may or may not show RC is following their current rule.  It all depends on whether your upgrade was no cost because the cost of the JS had dropped to what you had paid already, or they gave you the JS for less than the published cost.

Some will say yes and some will say no, all I can give you is from my experience on the Allure  a couple of years ago.  I had booked a balcony and about 8 weeks before the cruise I got a call to see if I wanted to give up my Balcony for a Suite GTY room and it was a totally free upgrade, not a penny was spent.  The caveat was I would not know my room until possible boarding time.  They told me I had to let them know right then and there if I wanted to take the upgrade or keep my assigned Balcony.  I of course said yes, because you never know if you might get one of the big suites or get one of the many JS rooms on the Allure.  Of course I got a JS but it was right on the hump and the room was originally booked by a Pinnacle cruiser who got the same call and moved up to Owner suite.  We meet on the first day because we getting all of their mail and perks, which they kindly let us keep since they have done all the bridge touring and front of the ship sail away before.  All they did was tell the Suite lounge attendant to change out the names which they kindly did and my then 9 year old son could not have been more happy with the extra perks.

As for the credits we knew we might not get the extra credits but low and behold even after this last website conversion, I still got 14 credits for that cruise and it got me to Diamond.

So take my story as one that it worked for. 

1 hour ago, dreadpirate3 said:

I called and requested a no cost upgrade from a balcony to a JS last fall on my December 17th cruise on Freedom. I was given double points.

What tactic did you employ to get the free upgrade?  Just ask?

9 minutes ago, schmeed said:

What tactic did you employ to get the free upgrade?  Just ask?

I waited until the price for a JS was the same as what we paid for our balcony, via mock booking. Then I called the Crown & Anchor department and asked. They gave us an upgrade to a GTY suite, and when it was assigned, I called and got it changed to a non-adjoining JS. It was a great stateroom.

This was all after final payment.

6 minutes ago, dreadpirate3 said:

I waited until the price for a JS was the same as what we paid for our balcony, via mock booking. Then I called the Crown & Anchor department and asked. They gave us an upgrade to a GTY suite, and when it was assigned, I called and got it changed to a non-adjoining JS. It was a great stateroom.

This was all after final payment.

Cool, thanks.  Mock bookings are such a pain on RCI's website.  Is that where you did it or a TA site?

1 hour ago, vettecruiser1 said:

Some will say yes and some will say no, all I can give you is from my experience on the Allure  a couple of years ago.  I had booked a balcony and about 8 weeks before the cruise I got a call to see if I wanted to give up my Balcony for a Suite GTY room and it was a totally free upgrade, not a penny was spent.  The caveat was I would not know my room until possible boarding time.  They told me I had to let them know right then and there if I wanted to take the upgrade or keep my assigned Balcony.  I of course said yes, because you never know if you might get one of the big suites or get one of the many JS rooms on the Allure.  Of course I got a JS but it was right on the hump and the room was originally booked by a Pinnacle cruiser who got the same call and moved up to Owner suite.  We meet on the first day because we getting all of their mail and perks, which they kindly let us keep since they have done all the bridge touring and front of the ship sail away before.  All they did was tell the Suite lounge attendant to change out the names which they kindly did and my then 9 year old son could not have been more happy with the extra perks.

As for the credits we knew we might not get the extra credits but low and behold even after this last website conversion, I still got 14 credits for that cruise and it got me to Diamond.

So take my story as one that it worked for. 

Key words in your explanation:  "a couple of years ago."

Reason for my explanation was I was told the same thing.  NO EXTRA CREDITS.  You just don't know until you get home and they are applied.  You know you will get 7 but you just might get 14.  But does it really matter in the grand scheme, you get a great room for no extra cost.