Key West...what should we do?

Neachy79

I will be in Key West in April with 6 of my best friends/sisters (ages 26-41).   We are in port from 12pm-6pm.  I've never been to Key West and I'm doing research on what to do. Initially when we booked the cruise we thought it would be our beach day...but sounds like Key West is not a great beach port.  I know some of my friends will not want to pay money for an excursion and since we have a drink package on the ship a pub crawl is out.   So what do we do?  Just walk around?  I don't mind spending money for something that's cool and worth checking out. I already know I want key lime pie (I'm hearing Kermit's is a good spot but open to suggestions) and I guess we should be touristy and go to the Southernmost Point for a photo op. But I may be alone on this when it comes to waiting in a long line. After that what else? Go back to the ship and enjoy a quiet ship and day drink?  Is there something cool we should definitely check out?   I would love to go on the Ernest Hemmingway tour but I might be alone on that one with my party crew.  Just trying to figure out how to entertain a group that wants to party and have fun.  Thanks for your tips!!!   I value all input.  

Edited by Neachy79

Uhm…...There are plenty of things to do in Key West.  At the very least, take 90 minutes and ride the HO/HO Old Time Trolley.  Its a great narrated tour of the island and afterwards, you can decide what might interest you and go back. 

• Like 2

You and your party crew are going to go to one of America's great party towns and not have a drink?  seems a missed opportunity.

anyway as stated there's lots of stuff to do in KW

Eat at one of many good restaurants

Trolley/Conch Train tour

Several museums and 3 old forts

wander around

rent bikes or scooters and wander farther

shop

snorkel tour

parasailing

waverunner tour

kayaking

tour the cemetery (it's a cool cemetery)

beaches - yeah they are far from world class, but I never go to KW without at least part of a day at Zachary Taylor park. 

Probably other stuff that's slipping my mind.  We go on a pretty regular basis and have done all of the above (usually several of them per trip)

Personally I find Kermit's key lime pie a bit ordinary and no better than I can make at home.  Blue heaven has excellent key lime pie (and food and a bar)

• Like 5

There is always the Duval Loop, the free bus that will take you to different stops. Check it out here.

Stop by the Green Parrot for a drink, Blue Heaven for Key Lime pie, at least stop by Hemingway's and across the street is the lighthouse, up the street is Southernmost Point. Southernmost Cafe has a small beach with food and drink.

If nothing else just walk Duval for a few blocks to get the vibe of the place.

Here is a video of Whitehead St to show you where Hemingway's and Southernmost point are. Video

• Like 1

Thank you all!!!  I will hold on to these suggestions for our April cruise.   With 7 different ladies I'm sure it will be hard to find one thing that everyone will want to do.  So I wanted to give them all options and if we split up and do our own thing then that's fine too.  I know if it was just me I would be all about pub crawls, restaurants, Hemmingway tour and a bike tour to the Southernmost Point. 

There are two rum distilleries in Key West both of which are within an easy walk of the cruise docks and close to each other:

Papas Pilar (and you get the association with Hemingway) --->   https://www.papaspilar.com/

And the First Legal Rum Distillery ---> https://www.keywestlegalrum.com/

You can do free tours and tastings and even do a drink-making class. The dark rum at Papa's is very nice to sip and it has the added benefit of having a great gift shop with both logo and non-logo items. And a great assortment of photos.

Pjk

Edited by peter_krynicki
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/6/2021 at 8:01 AM, LadyBerard said:

We always spend some quality time at Hogs Breath bar.  Live music every day in the afternoon.  🙂

I have 3 of their high quality T-shirts in my personal inventory and wear them with some pride (being a KW lover).  The place is somewhat of a KW tourist trap bar (which is very popular with cruisers) but DW and I will actually stop-in for a few drinks when we are staying in KW at our favorite hotel.

Hank

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I have 3 of their high quality T-shirts in my personal inventory and wear them with some pride (being a KW lover).  The place is somewhat of a KW tourist trap bar (which is very popular with cruisers) but DW and I will actually stop-in for a few drinks when we are staying in KW at our favorite hotel.

Hank

We'll be there for four  nights this Oct. during Fantasy Fest.  We'll be staying at the Opal Resort and I'm sure we'll be visiting Hogs Breath numerous times during our stay.