Live From the Star Princess Hawaii R/T November 4, 2018

Woobstr112G

28 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

45025454774_6db7159a54.jpg.2f270a64a1c60e535846b1c137b5cf30.jpg

A very good morning (0605 local) as we begin our second full sea day, of four, heading across the Pacific Ocean to Hilo Hawaii.  Seas are just a little above glass and the temps are probably in the high 60's.  Last night Holli & I went to the Crown Grill to enjoy our free dinner.  Holli had the fillet and I had the Porterhouse.  Both were cooked exactly to order and were delicious.  Service was also over the top.  We had planned on doing a little browsing in the shops but they were already closed when we finished dinner.

Tonight is our first formal night.  I will be trying on my rental tux a littlel ater to make sure it fits.  Holli has a hair appointment later this afternoon.  WE both still enjoy the traditional ways of formal night and enjoy getting dressed up.  We plan on trying the MDR (CC ATD) so I'm looking forward to experiencing CC for the first time as we have always been late seating traditional diners.  One other word about late seating traditional, with the changing dining times, it would seem impossible to attend the shows (1900 or 2100). The only way I could see is to HC it or tell your waiter you want to eat quick.

Show tonight in the theater is "British Invasion."

More later & I hope all are well.....🙂🙂🙂

Bob

I bet you make that tux look good. Post some pics of the event..pl eeeeease 

Bob,  this is a fun review to read.  I looked at your flickr pics of your grand suite;  that looks amazing and will look to book this suite on my next cruise.  Is there a grand suite on all ships?  You mentioned you need an HDMI cable.  Have you checked at the camera and photo store.  They should have one there.  Enjoy your cruise and look forward to your pics

45 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Glad your enjoying your cruise.

Would have thought they would adjust the time of the shows based on new dining times but guess one dept does not talk to the other. Would think 8 pm and 10 pm would make more sense.

I wholeheartedly agree.....🙂🙂🙂

Bob

40 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Bob,  this is a fun review to read.  I looked at your flickr pics of your grand suite;  that looks amazing and will look to book this suite on my next cruise.  Is there a grand suite on all ships?  You mentioned you need an HDMI cable.  Have you checked at the camera and photo store.  They should have one there.  Enjoy your cruise and look forward to your pics

They are only grand suites on the Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire, and Caribbean.  On the Grand there are two both on the starboard and port sides on the Lido deck.  The rest of the ships the GS's are aft.  The GS's on all of the ships are on Baja deck with the exception of the Caribbean where the GS is on Aloha deck.  My guess is this is because the CB was the first ship to add the Rivera deck.....🙂🙂🙂

Bob

4 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

They are only grand suites on the Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire, and Caribbean.  On the Grand there are two both on the starboard and port sides on the Lido deck.  The rest of the ships the GS's are aft.  The GS's on all of the ships are on Baja deck with the exception of the Caribbean where the GS is on Aloha deck.  My guess is this is because the CB was the first ship to add the Rivera deck.....🙂🙂🙂

Bob

Small Edit:  On the Grand, there is one GS on the port side and one on the starboard side.....😊😊😊

Bob

6 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Lew;

Thanks for the suggestion.  Sounds like it might do the trick.  I'll check it out......🙂🙂🙂

Bob

47 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

Small Edit:  On the Grand, there is one GS on the port side and one on the starboard side.....😊😊😊

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your great reporting. We are going on board when you get off.Can you please tell us what movies are showing? If you are still having problems with cutting and pasting check with the IT person at the Internet Cafe ,they have always been very helpful.

1 hour ago, Woobstr112G said:

Bob

Hi Bob, I love reading your review!! Please post some pictures of how the men are dressed on formal nights. I just like to see if they are in t-shirt & shorts. I just can’t believe they will be. Now about the GS did you know we have one on the Rowboat it’s in the back of 🚣🏼 you sit on the cooler with all the beer 😁😁.  Have a great time on the cruise!!  Your one of the good guys!!  We have on Cruise Critic.

Go Patriots!!!  Hi Lew 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat, 

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

2 hours ago, habita said:

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your great reporting. We are going on board when you get off.Can you please tell us what movies are showing? If you are still having problems with cutting and pasting check with the IT person at the Internet Cafe ,they have always been very helpful.

So far they have shown Book Club, Mama Mia,, Mama Mia Here We Go Again, Moana, Black Panther, A Quiet Place, a Shania Twain Concert, a Lady Antebellum Concert, and a Billy Joel.  If it’s the same one, I’ve seen the Billy Joel concert on the last two or three cruises…..🙂🙂🙂

Bob

p.s.  Lew & Abby, thanks for that text edit option for my MB Pro.  It worked like a charm🙂

2 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Bob, I love reading your review!! Please post some pictures of how the men are dressed on formal nights. I just like to see if they are in t-shirt & shorts. I just can’t believe they will be. Now about the GS did you know we have one on the Rowboat it’s in the back of 🚣🏼 you sit on the cooler with all the beer 😁😁.  Have a great time on the cruise!!  Your one of the good guys!!  We have on Cruise Critic.

Go Patriots!!!  Hi Lew 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat, 

Tony

Tony;

Thanks for the kind words sir.  I could use a beer or two right now to take the sting away from a purchase I made for Holli in Facets.....:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Bob

18 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

Tony;

Thanks for the kind words sir.  I could use a beer or two right now to take the sting away from a purchase I made for Holli in Facets.....:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Bob

Bob,

Quit complaining she’s worth it 😁. See if this helps 💰🍺. LOL

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

3 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Bob,

Quit complaining she’s worth it 😁. See if this helps 💰🍺. LOL

Tony

Yes she certainly is.  She has been putting up with my nonsense for what will be, in February, 30 years.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

Good morning (0550) from the Star Princess.  We are beginning our third full sea day, out of four, as we sail towards Hawaii.  No wake view picture this morning as I am posting this from the internet cafe on deck 5.  I got a little cabin fever (hard to believe being in the Grand Suite:classic_biggrin:) so I was out at 0500 to wander around the ship.  A couple of observations I noted as I was wandering around.  The Horizon Court has one side (port) opened for "Continental" breakfast only until 0600 when full service starts.  The International Cafe does not start serving those Egg McMuffin sandwiches until 0600. 

Something interesting I saw firsthand yesterday about the IC and the new "Digital" coffee card (not sure if this has been mentioned).  I saw a gentlemen present an old paper card trying to get free coffee.  The barista told him he would have to punch it for free coffee because it was an old paper card.  There was a bit of back and forth going on but I did not stick around to see the eventual outcome.    

Last night was our first formal night out of three for this voyage.  Shame on me for not trying on my rental tux the day before.  When I went to get dressed, I saw they had given me a 2XL shirt.  It fit me like a tent.  The trousers were also a little too long; so much so that I ripped them on a lower leg when I was removing my shoes.  A quick conversation with a very nice young lady at passenger services and the problem should be resolved around noon today.

For our formal night dining, we decided to give the much talked about Club Class a try (first time).  Not being a hater here but while okay, it really didn't blow me away.  I had the beef medallions and Holli had the always available Salmon.  Both our mains were acceptable, but not great.  The special dish was Escargot offered as an appetizer.  Service was somewhat slow and our head waiter was somewhat impersonal.  Again, I'm not slamming CC, just reporting on my observations.  If I was going to book a CC Mini, after last night's experience, I'd give it some additional thought before booking.

Anyway, enough rambling for now.  Hope everyone is well and have a great day.....

Bob  

Hi Bob - We are really enjoy reading your posts and are eagerly anticipating our 30 days on the Star in Dec/Jan.  A few questions about wine :classic_biggrin:.

Do they have better wine glasses in the dining room (I really hope to not pack our travel wine glasses!).  I read your post about not having the new wine list yet, but being out of stock on many wines.  Any idea when they will start new list?  Who is the bartender in Vines?

Have a fantastic time and keep these posts coming in!

27 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

For our formal night dining, we decided to give the much talked about Club Class a try (first time).  Not being a hater here but while okay, it really didn't blow me away.  I had the beef medallions and Holli had the always available Salmon.  Both our mains were acceptable, but not great.  The special dish was Escargot offered as an appetizer.  Service was somewhat slow and our head waiter was somewhat impersonal.  Again, I'm not slamming CC, just reporting on my observations.  If I was going to book a CC Mini, after last night's experience, I'd give it some additional thought before booking.

We agree with your assessment.  Except for one dish the menu is the same as in the rest of the MDR.  Service can be hit or miss...again as in the MDR.

The only benefit of CC was immediate seating anytime the MDR was open.  A big plus to be sure, but not worth the hefty CC upcharge.

33 minutes ago, Arizona cruisers said:

Hi Bob - We are really enjoy reading your posts and are eagerly anticipating our 30 days on the Star in Dec/Jan.  A few questions about wine :classic_biggrin:.

Do they have better wine glasses in the dining room (I really hope to not pack our travel wine glasses!).  I read your post about not having the new wine list yet, but being out of stock on many wines.  Any idea when they will start new list?  Who is the bartender in Vines?

Have a fantastic time and keep these posts coming in!

I'll try and ind out who is a regular at Vines for you.  As far as glasses go, they all look the same to me with the exception of the Ridel glasses they won't let you take away from Vines.....🙂🙂🙂

Bob

7 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

We agree with your assessment.  Except for one dish the menu is the same as in the rest of the MDR.  Service can be hit or miss...again as in the MDR.

The only benefit of CC was immediate seating anytime the MDR was open.  A big plus to be sure, but not worth the hefty CC upcharge.

You read my mind sir.....🙂🙂🙂

Bob

29 minutes ago, Arizona cruisers said:

Thanks Bob...I guess our well traveled wine glasses will have another trip!

Sorry Judy but cannot resist. Bet your wine glasses cost more than the last bottle of wine we purchased at Trader Joes (and wine was not even as cheap as three buck chuck).:classic_biggrin::classic_tongue:

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.  We are on the next cruise on the Star (11/19) and enjoying your posts very much.

I didn't know that Princess had switched to digital coffee cards - good to know.  We have a couple paper ones with some punches still available, but we substitute new coffee cards and bottled water for our free mini-bar anyway.

This is our first cruise to Hawaii, and have been trying to decide what clothing to pack.  If you wouldn't mind including a brief weather report in your posts, that would be fantastic.  I know it could be drastically different in 2 weeks anyhow - but it would at least give us a rough idea of what to expect.  Thanks again for all your time and efforts - enjoy your cruise;

Dave and Pat

1 hour ago, SHIVEOH said:

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.  We are on the next cruise on the Star (11/19) and enjoying your posts very much.

I didn't know that Princess had switched to digital coffee cards - good to know.  We have a couple paper ones with some punches still available, but we substitute new coffee cards and bottled water for our free mini-bar anyway.

This is our first cruise to Hawaii, and have been trying to decide what clothing to pack.  If you wouldn't mind including a brief weather report in your posts, that would be fantastic.  I know it could be drastically different in 2 weeks anyhow - but it would at least give us a rough idea of what to expect.  Thanks again for all your time and efforts - enjoy your cruise;

Dave and Pat

Keep in mind...the digital coffee cards are gone as soon as the voyage is over.

3 hours ago, SHIVEOH said:

[snip]

This is our first cruise to Hawaii, and have been trying to decide what clothing to pack.  If you wouldn't mind including a brief weather report in your posts, that would be fantastic.  I know it could be drastically different in 2 weeks anyhow - but it would at least give us a rough idea of what to expect. 

[snip]

Like Dave and Pat, this will be my first trip on the Hawaii itinerary. So even though I'm not sailing until January, I'd also appreciate any hints about the weather conditions (especially temperatures) encountered during the crossing from the mainland to the islands.

An early good afternoon from the Star Princess.  I'm just kicking back relaxing kinda being a little lazy today.  Still waiting on the ship's taylor to call me regarding my tux issues.  I also wanted to mention the entertainment options for tonight.

Movies today on MUTS are Blue Hawaii, 50 first dates, a Bryan Adams concert, and Skyscraper.  Piano showman Stephen Kane is in the Princess Theater.  Comedian Richie Minervini has three shows in the Vista Lounge @1830, 2015, and 2145.

Today while enjoying breakfast in Sabatini's (which was over the top great) one of the waiters told me that the new wine list was partially out on the MDR.  I will check tonight and advise further.  I also found out that a regular bartender in Vines is "Desmond" for an earlier asked question.

All for now, hope all are well.....🙂🙂🙂

Bob