Live From the Star Princess Hawaii R/T November 4, 2018

Woobstr112G

4 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

I have a question on CC dining, if you don't mind.  Would you say the service is quicker or the same as in the MDR?  Thank you and enjoying your updates!

I can't really say.  DW is a very slow eater so they adjusted their service accordingly and we were there awhile.....

Bob

2135900378_GoodMorning_02.thumb.jpg.be37d647979b8826304b54326a4843ca.jpg

Good morning from the Star Princess (0645) as we begin our fourth and final full sea day before docking at Hilo tomorrow.  Last night Holli & I once again had dinner in Club Class.  The service was much better and the servers seemed more attentive and more personable than our previous dinner.  I had the Chateaubriand that was quite good.  Holli had a roast chicken dish that she also said was good.  After dinner we were thinking of going to see a comedian in the Vista Lounge.  We ultimately decided to return to our cabin and just kick back.  The Crab Shack was offered last night in the HC.  I did not partake so I cannot comment on it.  The Pub Lunch was also offered in the Crown Grill.  We also did not attend this, but we do hopefully plan to avail ourselves of the PL when it is offered again.

Today we plan to once again enjoy breakfast in Sabatinis which has been overall outstanding.  After that, I'll probably hit the gym around noon or so.  I also need to do a load of wash.  For dinner tonight we are thinking of trying the new Sabatinis restaurant.

Today the movies scheduled for MUTS are Gidget Goes Hawaiian, Sol3 Mio Live in Concert, and The Extraordinary Journey of the Fakir.  Comedy Magic Showtime with Levent is happening in the Princess Theater at 1900 & 2100.  "Motor City" performed by the Princess singers and dancers will happen in the Vista Lounge 1830, 2030, and 2145.  It seems like the later shows in the Vista lounge would be possible for someone that likes to dine late in ATD or late TD.

A couple of observations I forgot to mention earlier.  In the past, when we stayed in suites, we received a corsage and boutonniere for the first night.  Two nights ago, we did not.  I have yet to ask if this perk is gone by the wayside, but plan to do so.  One other thing deals with the new beverage package guidelines.  It's nothing major, but I've noticed that the bar staff and waiters are going to great lengths to ensure that passengers are aware that something that use to be free now will incur a charge. 

That's all for now.  Keep those questions coming 

4 hours ago, Arizona cruisers said:

Thank you so much, Bob.  My guess is that the new wine list will be fully (or almost) rolled out for our cruise, since the Star will be spending quite a bit of time in South American.  Hopefully the corkage fee will remain $15, as we will plan to bring on quite a bit.

Last night in Club Class dining, I looked at the wine list and it appeared to be new.  I did confirm with our server that it was in fact the new list minus the expanded beer choices.  I'm going to try and get a copy of it so I can take some pictures/type out a text list of the offerings.  I might hit up our head waiter "David" in Sabatinis later at breakfast to see if he can get me a copy.....🙂🙂🙂

Bob

26 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

Last night in Club Class dining, I looked at the wine list and it appeared to be new.  I did confirm with our server that it was in fact the new list minus the expanded beer choices.  I'm going to try and get a copy of it so I can take some pictures/type out a text list of the offerings.  I might hit up our head waiter "David" in Sabatinis later at breakfast to see if he can get me a copy.....🙂🙂🙂

Bob

Are the photos in this link of the new wine list on the Caribbean last month the same as on the Star?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2597437-main-dining-room-drinks-menu-oct-182018-caribbean-princess/

Is Davide from Italy?  We had a headwaiter Davide for a Winemakers Dinner who was one of the few remaining crewmembers who began their career at sea with the wonderful Sitmar cruise line before merging with Princess.  His love of food & wine was quite apparent...a common trait for many of us Italians. 🍷

Edited by Astro Flyer

53 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Is Davide from Italy?  We had a headwaiter Davide for a Winemakers Dinner who was one of the few remaining crewmembers who began their career at sea with the wonderful Sitmar cruise line before merging with Princess.  His love of food & wine was quite apparent...a common trait for many of us Italians. 🍷

Davide is currently on the Crown Princess according to the last email/text I got from him.  He boarded on Sept 1.

55 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Are the photos in this link of the new wine list on the Caribbean last month the same as on the Star?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2597437-main-dining-room-drinks-menu-oct-182018-caribbean-princess/

Frank;

That's the list.  Regarding the head waiter in Sabatinis; I'm not sure where David is from.  I don't think though that he is old enough to have worked Sitmar.  I will double check though....🙂🙂🙂

Bob

5 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

Frank;

That's the list.  Regarding the head waiter in Sabatinis; I'm not sure where David is from.  I don't think though that he is old enough to have worked Sitmar.  I will double check though....🙂🙂🙂

Bob

CRLess wrote that he’s on the Crown. 

Enjoying your review. We are booked for the end of March for the 28 day Hawaii cruise and new to Princess. I am learning a lot from you so thank you.Can you please explain what you mean regarding the new Bev packages?

we have the sip and sail package and have lots to learn compared to what 

we are used to on Celebrity.

thank you !

Brockmom

( I hear the coffee is awesome at the International cafe....that counts as a drink 

with our package or simply incl?)

it's 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hrs from 6AM to 6AM, so if you put Kahlua in your coffee that's 1 Drink.  If no booze, all coffee drinks are just included.  Fortunately, a Nutty Irishman is 1 Drink. (1/2 shot each liquor).

59 minutes ago, brockmom said:

Enjoying your review. We are booked for the end of March for the 28 day Hawaii cruise and new to Princess. I am learning a lot from you so thank you.Can you please explain what you mean regarding the new Bev packages?

we have the sip and sail package and have lots to learn compared to what 

we are used to on Celebrity.

thank you !

Brockmom

( I hear the coffee is awesome at the International cafe....that counts as a drink 

with our package or simply incl?)

The beverage package was changed earlier this year I think.  I’m going off memory so someone please correct me if I’m wrong regarding the new PBP.  With the package, you get 15 alcohol drinks per day.  The limit I believe is $12.00 per drink.  You also get a 25% discount on all bottles of wine that are sold onboard.  You also get all fountain sodas for free as well as all specialty coffee drinks as well as brewed coffee.  One last thing you get are 500ml bottles fo water for free.  Canned sodas and the 1 liter bottles of water are no longer covered under the package.  Items ordered from room service are also not covered.  The package cannot be shared and is not required for every adult in the cabin.  You also can only purchase one drink at a time.  The only limit to the package as far as numbers purchased per day are the alcohol drinks......😊😊😊

Bob

7 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

The beverage package was changed earlier this year I think.  I’m going off memory so someone please correct me if I’m wrong regarding the new PBP.  With the package, you get 15 alcohol drinks per day.  The limit I believe is $12.00 per drink.  You also get a 25% discount on all bottles of wine that are sold onboard.  You also get all fountain sodas for free as well as all specialty coffee drinks as well as brewed coffee.  One last thing you get are 500ml bottles fo water for free.  Canned sodas and the 1 liter bottles of water are no longer covered under the package.  Items ordered from room service are also not covered.  The package cannot be shared and is not required for every adult in the cabin.  You also can only purchase one drink at a time.  The only limit to the package as far as numbers purchased per day are the alcohol drinks......😊😊😊

Bob

Sounds about right.

3 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Bob

What a memory!    😀

Hi Bob,

I have been away from the boards for a while. I see you have set sail and having a great time. One of these days I have to do that LA to LA cruise you are on. Enjoy the rest of the cruise. I will check in to see what you are up to. 

Just popping in to mention something that I forgot to mention earlier regarding formal night.  There were noticeably less gentlemen dressed in Tux’s.  I did see more suits than usual.  No kilts seen as well.  One more comment about what guys are wearing on non formal nights (I’m not trying to start a clothing debate) is I’ve seen a ton more shorts worn.....

Bob

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, carib said:

Hi Bob,

I have been away from the boards for a while. I see you have set sail and having a great time. One of these days I have to do that LA to LA cruise you are on. Enjoy the rest of the cruise. I will check in to see what you are up to. 

David;

Thanks for checking in.....😊😊😊

Bob

2 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Bob

Perfect! Thank you so very much for clarifying it all ! 

Enjoy your cruise !

Brockmom

1 hour ago, Woobstr112G said:

Just popping in to mention something that I forgot to mention earlier regarding formal night.  There were noticeably less gentlemen dressed in Tux’s.  I did see more suits than usual.  No kilts seen as well.  One more comment about what guys are wearing on non formal nights (I’m not trying to start a clothing debate) is I’ve seen a ton more shorts worn.....

Bob

Now that we are flying to almost all of our cruises, we need to keep within 50 pounds for our one suitcase so my suit stays home. See lots of guys dressed like me in dress shirt and slacks so never felt uncomfortable.

3 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Bob

Excellent memory.  They will give you the 1 liter bottles of water when dining in the speciality dining rooms, at least they gave them to us on the Regal and the Crown.

15 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

"Motor City" performed by the Princess singers and dancers will happen in the Vista Lounge 1830, 2030, and 2145.   Are other shows also scheduled for three performances?

One other thing deals with the new beverage package guidelines.  It's nothing major, but I've noticed that the bar staff and waiters are going to great lengths to ensure that passengers are aware that something that use to be free now will incur a charge.  Any idea what this item is? Might it be canned sodas?

see above in red

74961557_GoodMorning03.thumb.jpg.ab51c49791f643ef0888267a85d02ec9.jpg

Good morning from the Star Princess (0700 local time).  WE are about an hour from docking at our first destination of Hilo Hawaii.  While in port, Holli & I will be doing a helicopter excursion around 1200.  We are both really looking forward to it and hopefully I’ll be able to get some great pictures.  

Last night we dined in Sabatini’s.  I wanted to try out the new menu.   I must say that I am very impressed with the items I choose.  All of the food was outstanding along with the service which was impeccable.  To me, the $25.00 cover charge is well worth the experience.

Other that the excursion, we do not have anything else planned when we get back to the ship, my plan is to hit the gym for a good cardio workout.  We should be sailing away at 1800.

Today the movies shown on MUTS are The Extraordinary Journey of the Fakir, a “Mumford & Sons” concert, and The Bookshop.  “Strings on Broadway”  will be performing in the Vista Lounge at 2000 and 2145.  Instrumentalist David Klinkenberg will be performing in the Princess Theater at 1900 & 2100.

That’s all for now.  I will check in this afternoon after we get back from our excursion.

Hope all are well…..

Bob