Flight to Tahiti

suenavy

I'm cruising on Regatta March 16th from Tahiti to San Diego has anybody ever taken this cruise and flown out of Los Angeles. Wondering what Oceania does as far as airliner do they contract out and if so what is that like or when do you leave

We are flying from San Francisco to Tahiti in 3 weeks with United.  We are going in two days early to rest and snorkel like ellbon suggested.  We took the air credit from Oceania and found a less expensive and better flight through our TA's broker.

Oceania charters the Air Tahiti Nui flight from LAX. Unfortunately it is the one that arrives 9:55PM so that upon arrival you must quickly get to the pier before ship departure. But many of the people onboard the flight will be doing the same thing. The obvious difficulty with is that by the time you and your luggage get to your cabin it's quite late. If you have an early tour the next day you're exhausted- not the best way to begin a cruise. The better choice is, if the air credit puts you in a good position, buy your own air. The other alternative is to pay the air deviation fee $175pp, take O's air and choose your own flight. We went with the air deviation as that's what worked best economically in our situation. The Air Tahiti Nui flight was much nicer than we'd heard about. Great service, good meal service. Going again next month on ATN, though I wish I'd not booked my air so early. Could have had one of the great fares on United from SFO.

Happy cruising. The PPT-LAX cruise was fantastic BTW. Doing Windstar next month but doing PPT-SFO in 2020 it was so wonderful.

Thank you for responding I don't mind taking Oceania arrange flights I would imagine that I would be leaving the day before. I guess I probably should pay for the transfer from the airport in Tahiti to the ship. I really can't afford business class the way I'd like to go so whether I'm going economy on United or an airline of Oceania choosing really doesn't matter. We don't have any excursions planned the next day so if I'm tired that's okay too. I was more curious to know if the contracted flight they pick the seats or do we get to go on the airline and pick seats to travel there. We pick this Cruise because my husband and I are prior Navy and we really like to see time on a cruise ship so much better than the seat I'm on a Navy ship where you work 16-hour days

At this late point, one will have a difficult time finding an inexpensive flight into PPT. Should have started that search months ago! Adding to it is the open jaw with the one way ticket from the main land to PPT.

As stated above. ATN does the charter for O, and they fly everyday except Tuesday, I believe. AF, partner of Delta, flies it everyday. They do the red eye out of LAX arriving in PPT early morning. UA flies three days a week, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday out of SFO. Hawaiian Airlines flies on Saturdays out of HNL. I have known several people, that have the time, that have taken the Hawaii route. They fly into HNL to get time adjusted and then to PPT. This alternative is typically far less expensive than flying in early to PPT! Not only are flights typically less, but hotels are markedly less.

We caught an excellent fare on UA and will go in early for a stay on Moorea before our February cruise.

First I want to thank everybody for posting their responses to my question about Tahiti. But I did have another question does Oceania transfer you to the ship from the airport inother words do I need to pay for a transfer from the airport. I don't mind spending the money if it is the safest way to get from the airport to the cruise ship and I was wondering if anybody knows what that cost. And also do we get to pick our seats on this contract flight or does the airline do the picking of seats. We are not taking the airfare back home. I'm trying to get a military plane back home. Thanks again everybody for your help this is the first time I've ever posted anything on a computer at all I usually just read Cruise critic's questions and answers

Thank you everyone I have found that I always learn a lot by reading these posts. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if will be able to pick our seats on the charter flight or well the charter flight pick the seats for you. Someone told me that the configuration in the plane is two 4 two. I was just curious

In our experience O picked the seats for us on the chartered flight from PPT to LAX. I called ATN, but wasn’t allowed to make changes. We were able to change the seats upon check in at the airport. But the seats they had left weren’t the best seats either.

Also, O will transfer you to the ship, but you have to pay for that. Taxi may be a cheaper option.

On 10/31/2018 at 2:19 PM, suenavy said:

I'm cruising on Regatta March 16th from Tahiti to San Diego has anybody ever taken this cruise and flown out of Los Angeles. Wondering what Oceania does as far as airliner do they contract out and if so what is that like or when do you leave

The advice you've received so far throughout this thread is perfect.... great people here on this forum!

Please allow me to re-enforce and add some thoughts....

Prior to my FP sailing last year I did A TON of homework regarding logistics of flights, etc and with the aid of the members here on CC I have to say to you absolutely 100% consider getting to FP minimum 2 days early, if not 3 or 4, for various reasons.

I booked my flights only 3 days prior to cruise final payment as I was trying to decide between OAir, the $175 deviation or simply booking my own flights... I booked my own. With OAir you risk getting their charter which arrives on the evening of the first day of the cruise... what a waste! Also keep in mind that one of last years charters (Air France) was delayed 12 hours in LAX so those passengers arrived in the evening rather than the morning... they were lucky to get on the ship that night before she departs Papeete at 4am... I think yourTranspacific leaves in the evening so you would miss the ship in this instance.... and if you do miss the ship, how in the heck do you get to Rangiroa the next day? Of Nuku Hiva 3 days later? Small planes flying these islands only hold few people and if tickets are booked already with payed passengers... well... maybe you'll end up meeting the ship in Hawaii.... what a disaster that would be.

I currently see a MEGA good deal on United out of SFO on March 12... I'm seeing $498 Canadian $ one way!!!!

Stay in Tahiti overnight and then head over to Moorea for 3 magical nights (March 13-15) at the Hilton or Intercontinental with some of the money saved not not using OAir. Then ferry back over to Papeete the morning March 16 to board the ship.

If you have 1/2 hour or so, read through the first 2-3 pages or so of my Marina review from last year. I show with photos and describe how Tahiti airport works, taxi's, ferry's, logistics of my decision making, and as well as the incredible pre-stay I had in Moorea.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2524044-marinafrench-polynesia-mar-4-192018-review-wlots-of-photos/

Have a great vacation~! :classic_biggrin:

12 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

... 100% consider getting to FP minimum 2 days early, if not 3 or 4, for various reasons.

the incredible pre-stay I had in Moorea.

Everything Hoopster95 writes here I strongly second. 

Go early so you get over your jet lag before your cruise begins.  Also, of course, every extra day in the paradise of FP is worth it.

Also, do consider Moorea. IMO it is the most beautiful place on the planet.  It is a short and inexpensive ferry ride from the main island of Tahiti. 

On 10/31/2018 at 11:58 PM, Starlaker said:

We are flying from San Francisco to Tahiti in 3 weeks with United.  We are going in two days early to rest and snorkel like ellbon suggested.  We took the air credit from Oceania and found a less expensive and better flight through our TA's broker.

Naturally