Review of Navigator Window Only cabins

StarFlyr

A review on the Seven Seas Navigator Deluxe Window Suites, here after only referred to as Window cabins, New York to Montreal. This is only my second cruise on Regent, my previous one in a Penthouse Suite on the Voyager, but I’ve done several other cruises on other lines including 2 on Oceania.  

The Window cabins are 301 sq ft without a balcony.  These cabins are only on deck 5 and 6.  Deck 5 only has G and H Window cabins while Deck 6 has only G Window cabins on the port side while the Starboard side has only E Veranda cabins.  Strangely, there is a “crew only” walkway on Deck 6 outside of the Window Only cabins.  While I don’t know the pricing levels of all Window cabins, Window Suite 600 is almost twice the size of the regular Window cabins, 516 sq ft verses the standard 301 sq ft rating.  If you’re booking VERY early, it might be worth considering, asking for Suite 600 which I believe is the same price.

While I don’t consider myself a “big time” cruiser and have been mostly in Balcony cabins, I am very impressed with the size of cabin we had (608) G.  Very roomy with a walk-in closet, a bathroom with both a tub and a shower and the many other features most non balcony cabins AND some balcony cabins on other lines don’t have.  The cabin just feels roomy.  A feature I’ve never seen other than my previous “Penthouse” cruise are curtains to separate the bed from the seating area.  I’m a night owl who likes to read late while my wife long gone to sleepy time land.  With the draw curtains separating the cabin, I’m in hog heaven.

A lot of the outside room options like the library, coffee shop and others are on Decks 6 and 7.  Convenient to say the least. The Compass Rose is just one floor down on Deck 5.  There are only 245 Suites on the Navigator and for those who like a small crowd, it’s perfect.  

IMO, this ship is perfect for shorter cruises.  Granted, for long slogs with several sea days in a row, a larger ship would be nice with more options and especially for warmer cruises, the Veranda Suite and above cabin which includes a outside deck. 

If seeing crew members walk by the window bothers you, the Window only cabins on deck 5 would be better.  In our cabin on deck 6, the heavy curtains block out everything.  During the day, the lace curtains allow light in.  In our 10 day cruise, I didn't see one crew member looking in the window while walking on the crew only access deck except for the daily window wash down.  I assume they're instructed to keep "eyes" straight when walking on the deck.

AND only one floor away from the Craps table, but that's something I would rather forget about.

Edited by StarFlyr
  • Like 3

My friend and I just spent 89 nights in a Navigator window cabin this past summer, and agree with you completely, except for the part about not good for longer cruises. We found it ideal for our long cruise, for all the reasons you state (and of course the lower price). Of course, much of that cruise was in cool to cold climates, so that made a difference. And on sea crossings, we've found in the past that balconies are not particularly pleasant because of wind and sea spray.

I, too, was impressed at the discipline of the crew in keeping eyes straight while on the walkway. And it was fun to be out there with some of them on some of those situations where you wanted to run out onto deck to get a photo of some passing sight.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your post! I have wondered about the most moderate suites on Regent. It appears these can be a real bargain for some cost conscious cruisers.

Sincerely appreciate you providing this forum to learn more about this lower cost way to enjoy a Regent cruise!

On 11/2/2018 at 5:12 AM, Boatmans Lady said:

Great review of cabins that aren't often mentioned. 

Just one question if I may, do any of the windows open please.

HA, HA!   Sorry they don't.  There were a few times when the room got on the hot side.  It would have been nice to cool it down quickly with some sea air.   That said, if you don't try to crank the heat up, the room temperature was very comfortable. 

Re my comment about about longer voyages on the Navigator, I only added that comment because I thought there might be a few more "out of the cabin activities" for those sea days.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:45 PM, chuckw said:

We like the Navigator, deck 5 window or deck 6 balcony.  Very stable up front and if you don't go too far forward the anchor isn't an issue.

The anchor is one thing I forgot to mention.  When we arrived at Bar Harbor which is tender anchorage, I was still in bed, only to be awaken by the most gawd awful "scraping" noise.  I was sure the ship hit some rocks.  The scraping noise went off and on for maybe 5 minutes.  I looked out in the hall, but no one seemed concerned.  Turns out the noice was the anchor going down.  Someone later told me the depth there was about 300' so it took a lot of anchor chain grinding way as the anchor dropped.

All in all, a great cruise ship.

7 hours ago, StarFlyr said:

HA, HA!   Sorry they don't.  There were a few times when the room got on the hot side.  It would have been nice to cool it down quickly with some sea air.   That said, if you don't try to crank the heat up, the room temperature was very comfortable. 

Re my comment about about longer voyages on the Navigator, I only added that comment because I thought there might be a few more "out of the cabin activities" for those sea days.

Duly noted about not cranking the heat up 😉

The windows don't open as you are close to the water...waves do hit the windows at times. 

I was just considering how much time I spent on our balconies over several cruises.... it's not much and certainly not enough to justify a huge cost increase.   There are exceptions, however when in port I'd rather be in a lounge or at the pool.  At night while sailing, I make a brief visit outside on the balcony before bed, but that's really it.  while under way it's usually pretty windy out there. 

Looking across at other ships in port, I hardly ever saw anyone on a balcony.  A few here or there perhaps. 

Looking at the Celebrity Edge on the main CC page, perhaps the designers are realizing this as well. I'd be quite happy with a giant picture window and more room in the cabin. 

The one exception I can think of was having a double balcony on the HAL N. Amsterdam  in a Neptune suite. We hosted a couple of balcony parties in the carib with the nice warm weather.  

Balcony Suites.... will they become a thing of the past? 

Seriously do not think that balconies are going anywhere.  Just about all new luxury ships are 100% balcony.  While the balconies on the Voyager are rather small, Regent made sure that Explorer had larger balconies and will likely be the same on Splendor.  Actually, Navigator is the only Regent ship that has window suites and it is Regent's oldest ship.

My DH can spend hours on the balcony - relaxing, doing crossword puzzles and sometimes just falling asleep.  He finds it extremely relaxing to watch the seas and occasionally a flying fish will show up.  Unless the temperature is perfect for me (65 degrees), I prefer staying inside with air conditioning.  

In my opinion, staying in the lower category suites on Voyager works well.  There are balconies and the suites are larger than on the Mariner (and the lowest suites on Explorer).  You just need to watch out for aft suites due to the vibration.  We feel that the F1/F2 and concierge suites on Explorer are about as perfect as it can get.  

We have stayed in most categories of suites on all Regent ships (with the exception of the Navigator where we have stayed in what is now called a concierge suite but was just a regular suite when we last sailed on her.). To be 100% honest, we do not care for the Navigator but many people love her.  There have been rumors for years that she will end up being sold but I hope that this isn't true for the people that enjoy the ship.  In any case, you can have a wonderful Regent experience in any suite category - it just depends upon how much space you want.  

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Having choices and options is a very good thing.  We're looking forward to our (next) Navigator cruise in 2019 and our first Mariner cruise in 2020.  😊

I am sure you will love Mariner, one of our favourite ships. The public areas and Pool Deck "work" particularly well  🙂

The only slight drawback with Mariner is that the basic suites are a little snug compared to the size on Voyager (and Navigator?).

However, the size & layout of the Penthouse and Horizon suites are first rate  😄

IMO, the basic suites on Mariner are more than a bit snug.  Besides for the suite size, the closet is mini compared to other Regent ships (and the bathroom is not much better).  Do agree that the PH suites are the best of the fleet despite the small bathroom and closet).  It is probably best that I not discuss the Navigator since we gave up sailing on her several years ago.  In our opinion, our money is better spent on other ships.

Based upon all the wise and knowledgeable tips I've received over the years on this board....we did specifically book a PH on the Mariner, and we're really looking forward to the extra square footage it will provide!   Also made sure that we'd have one of the suites with the standalone shower vice the shower/tub combo.  Regards to all.  :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

Based upon all the wise and knowledgeable tips I've received over the years on this board....we did specifically book a PH on the Mariner, and we're really looking forward to the extra square footage it will provide!   Also made sure that we'd have one of the suites with the standalone shower vice the shower/tub combo.  Regards to all.  :classic_smile:

Our first Regent cruise was on the Mariner, and like you, based on comments here we also booked a PH.  Very spacious and comfortable.  Good choice!