What to do in Penang and Kota Kinabalu

ParamedicSailor

Hello all we're heading here on the 5th Jan to Penang and the 11th Jan Kota Kinablu in 2019... ive look at the on board Princess Cruise trips but they don't take are fancy can anyone make any suggestions as what there may be to do here, id be very grateful... 

What to do in Kota Kinabalu:

1. Mount Kinabalu and Botinical Gardens

2. There is no old town, KK got flttened during WWII, but nice markets to visit

3. Visit the off shore islands for beaches and snorkelling, is a National Marine Park

4. River tour to native village

5. Coastal village built on stilts over water.

6.If you have time a visit Sandakan, old town area Sandakan Memorial Park (Japanese POW camp and beginning of POW Death March.

We stopped at Kota Kinabalu about 8-10 years ago.  We went on a ship's trip to the foothills of Mount Kinabalu, which was very good indeed.  It was a full day with a lovely lunch in what I think was the National Park as well as a walk which was not strenuous.  The journey there/back was about two hours, but it was really good  scenery all the way with a stop en route.  People who just stayed in the town were not too impressed, but our tour was one of the the best days on that cruise for us.  With the long journey and remoteness of the area, I would think the ship's tour would be the way to go if you did decide to do that.

It has become a more commonly visited port since we went there so the other options, as mentioned previously, may well be worthwhile - I suggest you look at reviews of all possibilities to check that though.  

• 1 month later...

Penang: for 15RM you can take bus #204 to Ket Loc Si then Penang Hill then either Little India or the beach and return to the ship. It's an easy climb  at the temple and the hill is even easier with the tram at the hill. You do not need to ship excursion for either one of these two places. I did it myself in late November 2018. Be aware that the city bus does not go to either one of these places. But the paid bus is right there at the corner. If you choose to book a taxi driver instead of taking a bus, frankly I don't know why you would but some prefer to do that, the taxi drivers inside the Port Terminal are roughly two-thirds the price of those outside. So do not book one on the street.

FYI: ADDED: Bus does not give change so if you're doing this route have plenty of 1RM + two 0.5RMs

Edited by Ombud