B2B turn around day, what is the best thing to see in Barcelona?

gerelmx

We just got off a cruise in Barcelona. Ours docked that the World Trade Centre East terminal which is at the end of La Rambla. Some ships dock at Adossat Quay Terminal which is a bit further out. 

What you do depends on whether you like walking, it is a great city to walk around, and also your interests. 

The Gothic area is great to wander around. It is off to the right of La Rambla as you walk up towards Placa de Catalunya. 

On the the left side of la Rambla are the food markets (La Boqueria) which are fabulous. 

Then there are the Gaudi structures. You would need a metro pass (you can get a 10 ticket which can be used by both of you, they allow this) to see these Sagrada Familia, Park Güell, Casa Battló, IMO the best of the Gaudi houses. 

Then there is the Beach area, Arc de Triomf/Citadel Park area, Espanya and Montjuic area. 

So so much to see but it depends on your interests. 

• Thanks 1

Pre-book your entry to Sagrada Familia as it often sells out or has long lines. If you have an early entry time you could take a taxi there from the port. Afterwards you could take the metro to Las Ramblas and wander it and the gothic area back to the port. There are also HOHO buses if you want a drive by experience.

Edited by rdt10
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rdt10 said:

Pre-book your entry to Sagrada Familia as it often sells out or has long lines. If you have an early entry time you could take a taxi there from the port. Afterwards you could take the metro to Las Ramblas and wander it and the gothic area back to the port. There are also HOHO buses if you want a drive by experience.

Yes, definitely book, makes it so much easier. You can go up one of the 2 towers but IMO I think there are better things to see in a day in Barcelona than going up the tower. 

Even though I’m not a fan of HOHO buses, sometimes they are worthwhile to get you to places in a city you do not know. 

We recently used the HOHO in Lisbon, it got us to the top of Lisbon and then were able to walk right down through the center of Lisbon to the port. 

Edited by ab21au
  • Thanks 1

Buy (or borrow from the library)  Rick Steve's ' Mediterranean Cruise Ports' to learn about the sights/activities available in each port you will visit.  I took mine with me on the cruise so I could easily create a back up plan in case Plan A fell apart.

• Thanks 1

We have just returned from a back2back2back that had a turnaround day in Barcelona. We had to be back on board at 4 p.m. so it was a quick day for us.

We wanted to visit Sagrada Familia and Park Guell so I booked tickets on line for both of them as soon as the tickets opened up. We got tickets to Sagrada Familia for 9 am which turned out to be an amazing time to be there. Since we were the first group in, we had the place to ourselves for about 15 minutes before the next wave arrived. It was practically empty and afforded us the opportunity to get some amazing pictures without any other tourists in the way. We did the audio tour which allowed us to go at our own pace (somewhat quickly) and worked well for us. We did not go up either tower; I had read the views from Park Guell would be just as spectacular and that was our next stop.

2IJRijCAkMbXJ9_TtnRAo4pJuA1tr21O5lj_1_oLRtr4KTyRVIf-3VggpmhMOxXQNYCO0GTVf9E275TUuVFZBshd3s-Tb6Oz0tf1GiwakjWb0VWw5fJ_fSvlRkr3I049QptNsegcmK9VQph8mlDBRceqKSzdZOR6ELOeSqu6qbzBHwLQaIjbV-_F11SBs7no9Lzm-qEVQ4PaZsqwV9l1I7hNiPtz_dWrTdQvDiVxRF6wRpDHA_SqARUIXiS-DShOoodDzuKJuwr_yBMl8Lrpqcdcv53iqrGDWU28mJwia_wP3HLmaq-AuFf3TVlSmuj_hs6VJJ5ERyBUErQI93ALoWlfqFVx1T7Iwx1FieIUxxtHR_IllWkMoGI6xNlffWbcN0p7HPxgjHS7v4r6XjnYTkJlr7VmJTab_cqGdl50fPgNMBn_w0SJ8jzEtnhTghqmNMYpISJjmPkIO-zJBQAkIbtDhbyEXSGHf6HiTsnRBj9A1fMiA2no6X2qpnblTxPwE3Aup-qjGsfJfjLsosWCN_mCX0fmRkqYMrlqXRQZszShYRbMA4uEs49nvnCOGgd4IWzEuZTkYfbS3EP4qBBFuBKEorm917iuaEvWKYkPbfBgGHO88Xpg1B8mtJesTg9tKXFoVcm5Woonmy5Uxp9hObKyIA=w578-h770-no

We had taken a taxi to Sagrada Familia (to save time) and we took another taxi to Park Guell with about 30 minutes to spare for our 12 noon tour. We booked a small group tour and our tour guide was very good. But the crowds at the park were crazy and this was in late September! The park was interesting and the views were spectacular but it was just mobbed with people. When the tour was over we got another cab and had him take us to the market at Las Rambles. The cab driver was talkative and informative about his love for his city.

IMCodwsqCLk4oP4jvd_ud3XRFX5_O0Wr_I8VIArkw0dIAzOp-nAaTQdEk-qXtdihJmncDNYe__lxp9n6aARNHv95_ISNLuDIJvSEKE3P0KHO0WpQcniKAE1SFoOb701Ywwh3yaFQLNjQ6S-evo4_RmrYGrAFTmVlCFzpaMUFvr7-kQRyaxYEO1u-rjzhhWzNkNEMJtT9QThfzV6YHerxleVO-T302RsAfxOWRBWxG8AAlxowp6-joN_tm8q--J-zGTQ7gRL7LQStacwFsLE8BcEJHUDYjobIKFQ40cL1sz8o-XNLbLtoiq6sdMyfowGoUY6ID8t3QXHXCbd262s9KSQaSFZ6ZUjEHPNo0t-uPNsJ32nbBxvCAJkudDFUMJpaguTX1YRjZl1EKOYftZcAc-4OVz35SuhGTIIE6FZuI6FPwU3O4QLBtgh-Y7K_MlCF-tI54IPNgNsEFh5Nm1731Rnx9WLOdSUe-Z-FCzJuXuIdVBdTLwp-RZwrKMsJlxOnPeSPxGtDXahZhgV_7vh1CZn7WABgw9TXthUcPNsDYsAcOgOR-JK0hn3rba5418snbtoCTuDbzy4qds2PJtJPlBSNsVzjU5KbPBd3xo5MxMQoyAnc_9usYL7c3t7zniLxUPJzuttm1ZwXVkbwqZ6iFCgizQ=w1438-h724-no

We got dropped off at the market and it was a grand place. We wandered there and grabbed a few tapas and then walked towards the Christopher Columbus statue. By this time, we realized we needed to head back to our ship and like that, our day in Barcelona was over.

I think you need to decide what you want to see or experience and then just go for it!

• Thanks 1