Accessible Room

jpbljb

Hello Cruisers !

We are considering Room SY5001 on Holland America,  Nieuw Amsterdam. My wife is in a wheelchair. We are concerned about the motion at the very most forward of the ship (where this room is located). We will be travelling in April, 2019 to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, & Mazatlan from San Diego. Has anyone stayed in this room ? Noise level ? excess motion ? Any pros or cons would be appreciated !   Thanks in advance ! 

No info your ship or cabin. One of our first cruises was this route. Had 2nd from bow cabin. STANDARD winds and currents go South along Baja. Seas have been glass to 6 foot for all other trips. This voyage had us hitting 16 foot seas the last night. being at the bow exaggerates the motion.

I know there have been multiple posts complaining about the lack of accessible cabins and that non-handicap book them.    I am quite disappointed - tried to book a cruise one year ahead yesterday and there are no accessible cabins left.   Supposedly there are 40 on the ship and not one is left now to book.    It is a newer ship as well and with 40 accessible cabins you would think it might be easier to get one - but no.   (I will have to sleep with my scooter in a regular room.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mexico8 said:

I know there have been multiple posts complaining about the lack of accessible cabins and that non-handicap book them.    I am quite disappointed - tried to book a cruise one year ahead yesterday and there are no accessible cabins left.   Supposedly there are 40 on the ship and not one is left now to book.    It is a newer ship as well and with 40 accessible cabins you would think it might be easier to get one - but no.   (I will have to sleep with my scooter in a regular room.)

Sorry to hear.

Which line were you trying to book with?

With RC we have to book 15 months in advance to get a room.

3 hours ago, mexico8 said:

In general, people who need an accessible cabin book as soon as the schedules are released.  That is often 2 years out.  After that, you need to waitlist for one and hope someone has to cancel that needs one.  The last time we reserved an accessible cabin, we were told to have the special needs form in with 30 days or they would move that person to a standard cabin in the same class of stateroom.  

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

In general, people who need an accessible cabin book as soon as the schedules are released.  That is often 2 years out.  After that, you need to waitlist for one and hope someone has to cancel that needs one.  The last time we reserved an accessible cabin, we were told to have the special needs form in with 30 days or they would move that person to a standard cabin in the same class of stateroom.  

I was told by a couple of cruise companies that there was no waitlist and I had to keep calling to find out if there was an accessible stateroom available.   Which cruise line were you waitlisted with?  (I will have to find a cruise with them).

I have not stayed in that cabin on that particular ship, but we did stay in 5002 last fall on the Oosterdam. You will feel more movement in that cabin. I didn't find it excessive, but it depends if you are sensitive to motion. When the bow thrusters we in use, there was major vibration. We enjoyed the size of the room, but the balcony was small. Being all the way in the front, it was a long push on carpet each time I wanted to go to the room. Not a huge deal, but I prefer the cabins near the elevators.

Below is a link to photos from our cruise. Obviously this is a different ship than you asked about, but I thought it was worth sharing my opinion.

http://www.pbase.com/510picker/2018_oosterdam

On 11/5/2018 at 6:03 AM, 510picker said:

I have not stayed in that cabin on that particular ship, but we did stay in 5002 last fall on the Oosterdam. You will feel more movement in that cabin. I didn't find it excessive, but it depends if you are sensitive to motion. When the bow thrusters we in use, there was major vibration. We enjoyed the size of the room, but the balcony was small. Being all the way in the front, it was a long push on carpet each time I wanted to go to the room. Not a huge deal, but I prefer the cabins near the elevators.

Below is a link to photos from our cruise. Obviously this is a different ship than you asked about, but I thought it was worth sharing my opinion.

http://www.pbase.com/510picker/2018_oosterdam

32 minutes ago, jpbljb said:

Thanks so much for your pics... !!    :classic_biggrin: Beautiful !

Hope the rooms are like yours ... Seems like you had a great time.  Thanks again !   JB

You're welcome! I would guess your room will be very similar. We always have a great time and have learned not to let the little stuff bother us. Enjoy our cruise!

We have stayed in 6001 and 6002 which are right above that cabin. My hubby is also in a wheelchair. The cabin has a pole in the middle of the cabin but it doesnt obstruct the wc from getting by. The balcony is very small and hard to get in and out of. We always loved this cabin. If weather gets rough, you will hear banging against the hull. There is a long trek to the cabin from the elevators but since HAL doesnt have carts in the hallways, its not bad. Only problem was on the last night when everyone puts their luggage out. I have moved many bags so my husband could get by. 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, jpbljb said:

Hello Cruisers !

We are considering Room SY5001 on Holland America,  Nieuw Amsterdam. My wife is in a wheelchair. We are concerned about the motion at the very most forward of the ship (where this room is located). We will be travelling in April, 2019 to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, & Mazatlan from San Diego. Has anyone stayed in this room ? Noise level ? excess motion ? Any pros or cons would be appreciated !   Thanks in advance ! 

You can email the Special Needs Department with HAL and request photos of your specific cabin. If they don't have photos in their inventory, they contact the ship and request someone take photos of the cabin and send them to you. I have done this several time while researching cabins. It is very helpful when you have specific needs, such as can the bed be accessed from both sides, which side does one transfer onto the toilet from, etc.

3 hours ago, 510picker said:

You can email the Special Needs Department with HAL and request photos of your specific cabin. If they don't have photos in their inventory, they contact the ship and request someone take photos of the cabin and send them to you. I have done this several time while researching cabins. It is very helpful when you have specific needs, such as can the bed be accessed from both sides, which side does one transfer onto the toilet from, etc.

Great info to have.   Thank you.   I will definitely do that.  I am always concerned about having enough space for my mobility scooter in the cabin and now I will know for sure if there is room for it.

On 11/4/2018 at 5:26 AM, mexico8 said:

I know there have been multiple posts complaining about the lack of accessible cabins and that non-handicap book them.    I am quite disappointed - tried to book a cruise one year ahead yesterday and there are no accessible cabins left.  

For our next cruise, wanted one of four cabins. Paid attention and jumped online as soon as I knew bookings were open. 547 days in advance and one cabin already taken.

I am looking for images and Info about SA7034 on VOLENDAM.  I read “look for ziggy” but I seem unable to accomplish it. Any help so appreciated!

On 11/6/2018 at 4:59 PM, jlp20 said:

For our next cruise, wanted one of four cabins. Paid attention and jumped online as soon as I knew bookings were open. 547 days in advance and one cabin already taken.