How do you pack really bulky necklaces?

compozer

I have stopped taking most of my good jewelry and been buying some real unusual things - necklaces.  I have several really bulky necklaces and last time packed one flat.  A piece broke off - luckily I had glue and could fix it.  I usually carry it in my purse (good stuff) or in my carry on.   I thought about making a curved form for it and slipping it in a zip lock bag.   I guess I could add some foam to a jewelry box but the boxes take up so much room.  I looked on line - thought I might find an idea in pinterest but no luck.   Anyone have any good ideas?

thanks

I don't know how to post pictures here so I will try to explain my last purchase.   It has a dozen or so crystals , beads,  filigrees  of palm trees, flamingos, many flowers placed on top of each other.   There are so many rhinestones that is sparkles like mad.    It is almost an inch thick and does not lay flat.  That is why I need to form it around something.    I broke one flower off but luckily it is made where the filigrees are all glued to settings so it was easy to repair - this time.

So, cushioning to support the shape and tissue on top to protect all the delicate bits.  Sounds like a wonderful cruise piece.  Hope you can figure out how to protect it in order to enjoy it.

My last suggestion is to contact the creator (if you can) and ask them....

• Like 1

Thanks mef for trying to help.   I got it at TJMaxx.  SO have no idea who created it.     About every 5 months I find something really neat there.   What I tell my husband when I come home with bags from there - "they only get in one of each so if I think I might like it, I have to grab it right away or it is gone"  SO far he is buying that but it is the truth.

I didn't think about wrapping the top with tissue - good idea.

Other than tissue paper, maybe use packing foam sheets (the thin kind) or smaller bubble wrap? I keep some at home (from packages I've received) and usually throw some in a suitcase if I'm thinking I might do any shopping on a trip....

I love large jewelry so I recently bought a 3 ring binder and several pencil pouches (with different size compartments).  The pouches were made to go in the 3 ring binder.  My larger pieces fit great in the large compartments and you could easily wrap them in tissue for further protection.  So when it's all done you have a jewelry book that you can flip through with everything nice and protected.  It's flat enough that it doesn't take up much room in a suitcase either.

• Like 3

Thanks for trying to help.  I take a 3 ring binder on long cruises with all my copies, etc.

Here is what I tried this afternoon.   I took a 4 inch thick piece of foam, cut it 3 X 6 inches and cut it into a curved shape that matched the necklace.  I cut alot away but the necklace curves nicely around it.   Then I wrapped it in polyester batting and put two rubber bands around it.    I placed it into a narrow zip lock bag.   My son orders tons of small items and the come in so many unusual sizes.  I save them all.

thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/5/2018 at 1:49 PM, boobear1 said:

I love large jewelry so I recently bought a 3 ring binder and several pencil pouches (with different size compartments).  The pouches were made to go in the 3 ring binder.  My larger pieces fit great in the large compartments and you could easily wrap them in tissue for further protection.  So when it's all done you have a jewelry book that you can flip through with everything nice and protected.  It's flat enough that it doesn't take up much room in a suitcase either.

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

Sandwich-sized (so fairly flat) Tupperware container. I stuff the empty space with undies or socks. I also have some interesting hard plastic cases I bought at Daiso, a Japanese dollar store. They were in the same section as pill organizers, but are just one or two large sections (rather than 7 small ones for days of the week).