Wine in checked baggage OOPS breakage ??

Valchie

Hello Cruise/wine fans! So I'm thinking of bringing the ALLOWED 2 bottles of (red) wine wrappedin bubble wrap in our checked baggage from Boston to Miami. Have not done this before but know it is allowed. However with the way luggage is handled...has anyone experienced broken wine in their suitcase? We then need to remove said wine to board the ship. It would be then that we would discover the breakage. DH woulld

NOT pleased. We arrive too early to purchase in the city.

Has anyone experienced

Broken wine? Would anyone else try it?

We use the Vinolock protectors from Amazon. And then I place the whole thing in a plastic garbage bag ( the small ones for bathroom trash) and seal it as best I can. Then make sure it is well padded in the suitcase with clothing. We've never had anything break in 15+ years. I used to  just wrap a towel around the bottles when we flew home from Italy, but I have since discovered the wine bottle protectors. 

RCI Changed the rules in Sept.   You can bring the following onboard IN YOUR CARRYON:

2 bottles of wine per cabin, each no larger than 750ml

up to 12 containers (bottles/cans) of soft drinks (or water), each no larger than 17oz (1/2 liter).

These items must be in your carryon.  If they are found in your checked luggage you will be called to the "naughty"room.

Porters will no longer take any cases of water or soft drinks from passengers.

Steve

16 minutes ago, Valchie said:

Hello Cruise/wine fans! So I'm thinking of bringing the ALLOWED 2 bottles of (red) wine wrappedin bubble wrap in our checked baggage from Boston to Miami. Have not done this before but know it is allowed. However with the way luggage is handled...has anyone experienced broken wine in their suitcase? We then need to remove said wine to board the ship. It would be then that we would discover the breakage. DH woulld

Has anyone experienced

If you have the time before boarding  I would ask your driver to stop at a store on the way to the pier.  If I recall drug stores and grocery stores in FL sell wine.   

Steve

Just now, stevea36 said:

These items must be in your carryon.  If they are found in your checked luggage you will be called to the "naughty"room.

Steve

The OP was talking about flying with wine in checked baggage, then removing the wine at port to carry on the ship.  

I don't carry wine on to the ship but we do travel with wine or spirits in glass bottles pretty frequently. 

• Like 2

Thank you for your  replies. We arrive too early to hit the packie before they open on a Sunday so will bring from home if safe to do so. I will research alternatives to bubble wrap as DH is not a fan of pink clothing!! Thank you.

It does depend on where you are flying in to.

The Miami port does not have any store close you can walk to and then go to the ship.

We went to a local Walgreens in Miami for wine and put it into our carry on luggage, no problems.

I have also flown into MIA with bottles of wine wrapped in a special wine bag in our checked luggage and then put them in our carry on bags to bring them on the ship.

You can find the wine packing bags everywhere.

Good luck! 

I fly with wine often.  Before buying the bubble wrap protectors I would simply wrap well with clothing and make sure wine was in center or suitcase away from edges and/or corners in case luggage fell off a baggage cart. 

I often fly in the night before and don't want to be trying to find wine late at night or early the next morning.  I get free checked bags so it's simply easier to fly with it.   Morning of cruise I move it to carry on for boarding.

9 hours ago, Valchie said:

Has anyone experienced

Many times if we do not drink the D+ wine gift, we wrap in bubble wrap plus a towel and place in the middle of our suitcase among clothing, and have not had any problems.

Just an FYI, Publix supermarkets do carry a decent selection of wine.

Walmart also carries wine, but the selection can be hit or miss. They also open early.

They usually open at 8 AM and there are no outdated laws on the Florida books about not selling wine before noon.

11 hours ago, stevea36 said:

RCI Changed the rules in Sept.   You can bring the following onboard IN YOUR CARRYON:

2 bottles of wine per cabin, each no larger than 750ml

up to 12 containers (bottles/cans) of soft drinks (or water), each no larger than 17oz (1/2 liter).

Steve

I did not know the rules changed that you must now bring wine only in carry on. This next cruise I planned on putting it in checked luggage since my hubby has a cast on his arm and wont be able to help me with carry on's. Guess I'm glad I saw this. Do they confiscate it?

11 hours ago, Valchie said:

Thank you for your  replies. We arrive too early to hit the packie before they open on a Sunday so will bring from home if safe to do so. I will research alternatives to bubble wrap as DH is not a fan of pink clothing!! Thank you.

All of the Publix Supermarkets in Miami open at 7am everyday.

🍷

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I bet Google knows where you can buy wine in Florida. I only know that you CANNOT at convenience stores, having tried when that was the only thing in walking distance.

I see wine in 7-11 stores all the time down here.  Not great wine...but wine indeed.

I have flown with MANY bottles in my checked luggage, all over the world.  

I have lost 2 bottles.   One ended up packed in the corner of a soft side suitcase, and it was dropped on that corner.

The second, I have no idea what happened, but it broke.  Possibly a defective bottle.

I put them in the center of my suitcase, with clothes around them on all SIX sides, and nothing hard touching them.

Publix stores have a decent selection and pricing, some also have a package store adjacent. 8 AM is the earliest wine can be purchased in FL (11 AM on Sundays). Most Walmarts and convenience stores also carry beer and wine (can't speak to the provenance, though!! LOL!!!)

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

NO to bringing wine in checked baggage. Not the way they handle our luggage. Take it with you in carry on bag. I've seen and heard of accidents. Not worth the risk.

A bottle of wine would be way over the 3oz liquid limit for carry on luggage.

That said, according to this site beer and wine sales are permitted 24/7 in Miami; it's only hard liquor sales that have restricted hours.

Edited by Lex1

22 hours ago, eaglesfaninfl said:

Publix stores have a decent selection and pricing, some also have a package store adjacent. 8 AM is the earliest wine can be purchased in FL (11 AM on Sundays). Most Walmarts and convenience stores also carry beer and wine (can't speak to the provenance, though!! LOL!!!)

Sales of wine from grocery stores are legal from 7AM - 3 AM seven days a week (no Sunday restrictions).

The following is a direct link to the Florida State website:

http://www.stateliquorlaws.com/state/FL

23 hours ago, eaglesfaninfl said:

Counties in Florida vary a lot from each other on liquor/wine/beer sales  as to times, days, hours.  There are some counties that are totally dry counties.