Antarctica jacket

mamapirk

First off, forgive me for starting a new top on this subject. I've not figured out how to search just within the Seabourn forum on this new platform. My searches seem to pull up all cruise lines which is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Any advice on searching would be most welcome, but my real question....

I'm working on my packing list and am curious as to whether the ladies in the group felt the puffy black under jacket was sufficient and stylish enough to omit bringing anything other than cardigans and wraps for the ship.

Thanks to all!

I didn’t think it was a very good fit.  They are quite narrow around the hips, even though the orange jacket is the right size.  I think they are more of a men’s fit.  I bought two other puffa jackets.  A blue outdoor one, which was quite substantial and weather resistant and a lighter one, for more northerly areas.  

• Thanks 1

Most passengers (men and women) just wore the black Seabourn provided puffer. I brought my own because we were five days hiking in the Torres del Paine pre cruise and I needed to have one for that. I felt the Seabourn puffer was warm enough for the temperatures we encountered but it was not as well made as the outer jacket Seabourn also provided and as Galeforce mentioned a very boxy fit. My grey puffer was much higher quality and a more tapered fit so since I had it I wore that when I outside having lunch or watching wildlife and the scenery from outside deck 7 or 9. I did wear it under the Seabourn outer jacket when going for zodiac rides. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chairsin said:

Most passengers (men and women) just wore the black Seabourn provided puffer. I brought my own because we were five days hiking in the Torres del Paine pre cruise and I needed to have one for that. I felt the Seabourn puffer was warm enough for the temperatures we encountered but it was not as well made as the outer jacket Seabourn also provided and as Galeforce mentioned a very boxy fit. My grey puffer was much higher quality and a more tapered fit so since I had it I wore that when I outside having lunch or watching wildlife and the scenery from outside deck 7 or 9. I did wear it under the Seabourn outer jacket when going for zodiac rides. 

Agree with Chairsin. I wore my thick one for patio grill lunches as seen here and doing laps around the deck, looking at the scenery. I wore the black one for trips ashore under their jacket. 

FE557AF7-8B3E-45B7-8B4B-8250BF507395.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Meant to say I did NOT wear it under the Seabourn outer jacket when going for the zodiac rides. 

Glad to help - our Holiday Antarctica Cruise - in spite of numerous other wonderful Seabourn cruises since - is still the one to best. Hope you are doing the one that includes South Georgia Island as that was the highlight. 

On 11/3/2018 at 8:56 AM, Chairsin said:

Meant to say I did NOT wear it under the Seabourn outer jacket when going for the zodiac rides. 

Glad to help - our Holiday Antarctica Cruise - in spite of numerous other wonderful Seabourn cruises since - is still the one to best. Hope you are doing the one that includes South Georgia Island as that was the highlight. 

We are indeed doing South Georgia Island and I'm counting the days...45 to be exact. 🙂

On 11/3/2018 at 1:51 PM, mamapirk said:

Galeforce and Chairsin,

Thank you very much for the advice! Making a note to pack my own puffer jacket.

You most definitely DO NOT need to take your own jacket.  Almost everyone wore the one provided by Seabourn and it became a sort of uniform.  The quality is excellent and I still wear mine at home often in preference to similar jackets I have by Gant and Musto.   I came away from our Quest voyage with THREE free coats - the orange parka, the puffer jacket and a Ralph Lauren thing from the on-board boutique which used up some on-board credit.  

No one here told the OP she had to bring another parka but she certainly will not be the only one wearing her own based on my cruise. And the fact that many wore the SB provided parka around the ship does not imply that it was a good quality and well fitting parka. It was likely simply a bird in hand and one less thing to pack for those people. As to the quality I think most agreed it was not good quality (seams were poorly stitched and the fabric was cheap) but it did the job. As to fit men would generally not have noticed this problem as much as women as the jacket was unisex and thus was cut straight and boxy to accommodate all but flatter none. 

5 hours ago, jenidallas said:

I found the perfect formal night dress for Antarctica.  It solves the dress code versus functional/warm question!  😂

(And yes, the jacket can be removed to reveal a sleeveless gown underneath!)

8CF162C8-09A4-468D-949C-D1E474126E27.png

LOL 🤣

I hope you're having a fun time on your current cruise and enjoy your upcoming cruise. I hope all goes well for your renewal of vows. I know a couple of people aboard and suggest they buy you and your partner a drink.

Julie

• Thanks 1

Oooh Jeni anything Montcler can’t be bad. And of course it is so figure flattering! Actually perfect for a cruise as I could gain a few pounds and no one would be the wiser. Hope you enjoy your cruises (both one and “special”number two ).

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2018 at 1:54 PM, AquariusCruiseGal said:

Are you on the Dec. 20 sailing?

If so, I invite you to join us for our Ugly Holiday/ Christmas Sweater contest.  Lynne Castoldi 

We are on that sailing. Spill the details of the ugly sweater get together. Not sure hubby will participate, but I'm game!

Are you on the Dec. 20 sailing?

If so, I invite you to join us for our Ugly Holiday/ Christmas Sweater contest.  Lynne Castoldi 

Date and Time will be determined once on the Quest so as not to interfere with other activities. Cocktails will be involved, a nice prize will be awarded.  Most likely we will gather in the Observation Bar on a Sea Day.

1 hour ago, AquariusCruiseGal said:

Date and Time will be determined once on the Quest so as not to interfere with other activities. Cocktails will be involved, a nice prize will be awarded.  Most likely we will gather in the Observation Bar on a Sea Day.

Excellent. Sounds like fun. See you on the ship!