Viking wines

Shirleygibbs

We just completed a Mediterranean Odessey cruise in October on the Viking Sky. We had dinner one evening in the Chefs Table restaurant and the menu was La Route Des Indes. The dessert wine was a French white, and the server said it was UB4. It was delicious, and I would like to purchase some. However, I cannot find it anywhere under this name. Does anyone have any idea what it is, and if it is available for purchase? Thanks so much in advance!

On 11/4/2018 at 6:26 AM, Shirleygibbs said:

We just completed a Mediterranean Odessey cruise in October on the Viking Sky. We had dinner one evening in the Chefs Table restaurant and the menu was La Route Des Indes. The dessert wine was a French white, and the server said it was UB4. It was delicious, and I would like to purchase some. However, I cannot find it anywhere under this name. Does anyone have any idea what it is, and if it is available for purchase? Thanks so much in advance!

What was your opinion about wines in general?  Did you have the beverage package or did you drink the included wines?  I am doing the Viking Odyssey in 2019.

On November 4, 2018 at 7:00 PM, SantaFe1 said:

We did this menu in June, albeit on the Homelands Cruise.  The included wine was Domaine Uby 4 (Gros & Petit Manseng) from Gascony, France according to the wine pairing menu, which I saved, so I think maybe this is your wine.

Thanks so much - I think this is it! I will research and see how easily I can find it.

I liked the upgraded wines in the Silver Seas Package. Some of the included wines on Oceans were not great although I thought the included wines on RIVERS was  wonderful  (Budapest to Amsterdam)!  I know what wines I like but am certainly far from anyone who knows wines!!!

Edited by deec

I liked the upgraded wines in the Silver Seas Package

I'm confused.  Did the package mean you could get upgraded wines by the glass that non-package guests could not get at lunch or dinner, or did you purchase the upgraded wines by the bottle at a discount?

with the Silver Seas Package you can order up-graded wines by the glass with your meals...there were a number although not ALL that are offered by the bottle!

Edited by deec

with the Silver Seas Package you can order up-graded wines by the glass with your meals...there were a number although not ALL that are offered by the bottle!

How is this different than people without the package?  I will have the package and from what I read if I want to purchase a glass of champagne (say for $16), I pay the full $16, not just the $1 in excess of the $15 limit.

The last time I was on a Viking Ship Spring 2017 there were some wines available by glass that were better than the included wine served with the meals.  Yes, the wine by the glass must be less than $15.  I think the same is true if you order a liquor that is more than $15.

On our recent VO Eastern Seaboard Explorer cruise the complementary wines were a bit sketchy at times (for our tastes anyway).  As example, several nights the offered wine was a Moscato that was extremely sweet.  Fortunately we had the SS package and found wines more to our tastes.  FYI, all wines on our cruise that were available by the glass were less than $15.  Others were only available by the bottle.  To clarify, the liquor does not need to be less than $15 per pour from experience (e.g. Jack Daniels is $8, they will gladly pour a double, triple... with the SS package).  After the first night the bartenders in the Explorers lounge would see me coming, great me by name, and just put ice in a glass and top the glass off with JD to take back to my cabin without having to ask for it.

Fortunately we had the SS package and found wines more to our tastes.

I can't find a confirmation of this, but this is twice that it seems to me that if you have the SSBP, there are additional wines by the glass available, at no additional cost, that are not available to people without the package.  Is that the case?

1 hour ago, imcpa said:

Fortunately we had the SS package and found wines more to our tastes.

I can't find a confirmation of this, but this is twice that it seems to me that if you have the SSBP, there are additional wines by the glass available, at no additional cost, that are not available to people without the package.  Is that the case?

Yes, those with the package can request different wines (as long as the they are sold by the glass) so for example instead of the "house" red, you could request a Brazin old vines Zinfandel, or a Trumpeter Malbec etc. etc.

The upgraded wines are the  reason the Silver Seas Package becomes  a good deal for me as I usually would not have enough mixed drinks to cover the cost of the package/day.  Husband on the other hand drinks enough scotch to make the package worthwhile!!!

When you embark you can ask guest services for a list of wines that are include in the Silver Spirts beverage package (not Silvers Seas - that a whole other line.😉) Handy so you can make your choices. They were available in all venues although sometimes it involved a short wait if they had to get it from another bar. No issues in the main restaurant or Manfredis. This time there was also a tablet in the main dining room that could be filtered by wine type and SS by the glass however we found it wasn't updated and our waiter confirmed that if the run out it is removed but sometimes not added when they get more supplies. The reverse was also the same that we saw the delicious Umy 4 but there was only one glass left on the ship so we shared with our dessert! We tried and were recommended wines that we wouldn't normally go for due to previous grape variety experience so it's a great way to explore the wonderful world of wine. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...