Azamara vs Oceania

ricki

19 hours ago, holomuku said:

It really depends on where you are (what state) and other factors.  Our cancel for any reason upped the total insurance cost on Oceania by $100.00 (for both).  That is still far less than it would have been to completely cover a cruise that is 2X the cost of Oceania.  Again, everyone's situation is different.

That's interesting because most cancel for any reason options raise the premium by far more than $100. 

Because we always get insurance- I shop it at the Trip Insurance Store.  Good folks there.  Some companies do charge a lot more for CAFR- others not so much.  With that said- we are upgrading our air flights and need to up the insurance amount and were told "good thing you bought it when you did- rates have risen quite a bit in WA state."  I have no clue why that is- but it is-- so perhaps next trip we'll make other choices.  The whole insurance issue is pretty darn confusing in my mind.

We made several cruises with both cruise lines.

For me it's clear.

The atmosphere on Azamara can't be beaten.

However, the office betrayed me.

Azamara is more expensive.

The food on Oceania is so much better that it hardly can't be compared to the chicken-dinners at Azamara.

I prefer the Marina and Riviera to the "R-ships": more and better speciality restaurants. Less chance for disturbing things like noises from airco, problems with plumming and that sort of stuff.

Overall: I will sail Oceania but will miss some really nice people from Azamara.

On 11/5/2018 at 8:06 AM, DavidTheWonderer said:

I think this is relevant to the Oceania / Azamara debate.  Many posters have commented that with the exception of the one happy hour a day, Oceania tends to be sort of dead: beautiful lounges with hardly any people: folks tend to stay in and perhaps entertain others in their cabins.  Azamara is quite different in that regard, with much more night life.

I believe Oceania now has two happy hours a day - one is late night - after the show.

On 11/4/2018 at 11:30 AM, Cruise Junky said:

Azamara has drinks and tips included but not specialty dining which Oceania does. 

Generally true. We just sailed on the new Azamara Pursuit. Although drinks are included, there are significant restrictions in what they allow one to drink. For example, Bailey's is considered a premium liqueur and is charged extra at full price. The basic drink package is limited to ordinary spirits and a very restricted list of liqueurs.

13 minutes ago, cynalan said:

Generally true. We just sailed on the new Azamara Pursuit. Although drinks are included, there are significant restrictions in what they allow one to drink. For example, Bailey's is considered a premium liqueur and is charged extra at full price. The basic drink package is limited to ordinary spirits and a very restricted list of liqueurs.

Very true. It all depends on what you drink. For some what’s included will suffice. We’ll be upgrading to the Ultimate Package for $20 a day. 

13 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Very true. It all depends on what you drink. For some what’s included will suffice. We’ll be upgrading to the Ultimate Package for $20 a day. 

I upgraded to the ultimate package and couldn't get a glass of port after dinner without paying full price for it.  Mind you we are not talking an expensive port. 

2 minutes ago, doowopbob said:

I upgraded to the ultimate package and couldn't get a glass of port after dinner without paying full price for it.  Mind you we are not talking an expensive port. 

There is a port on the list now. I know after many complaints they did add somethings.  If i can’t get port, I’ll get a grand marnier. As were sailing out of Lisbon, chances are there’s a good bottle in my room 😎

13 hours ago, Tom47 said:

Azamara's president was once asked to compare Oceania and Azamara in one sentence.  He said:

Oceania is about food,  Azamara is overnights.

I love the overnights,the White Party and more. I do not cruise fir food only 

We haven't been on  Azamara for some years but chose their Christmas & New Year in Oz this year for a big birthday, after deciding against the O circumnavigation after the less than glowing reviews this year. Even allowing for the fact that it is a Christmas cruise & allowing for drinks included it is much much higher per day than O. 

Also we booked on the basis of their blurb about being in the midst of the Sydney Harbour celebrations on NYE whereas we are in Watsons Bay and if we want to get a view they are offering dinner at Taronga zoo for £800 odd per person. So I may be a little biased pro O at the moment! 

2 hours ago, ellbon said:

I love CMas on AZ. The desert buffet, the snow.NYE is not like Rio where you pay to, achnor for the view. The zoo oils cheaper than the opera house. Go with an open mind and enjoy it.

ellbon, just out of curiosity - do you ever re-read your posts before you post them? It might be a good idea.

Sometimes it is difficult to understand them - like what does this mean -  “The zoo oils cheaper than the opera house”? 

At least I have that problem - others may not.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ofcourse also Oceania has its overnights. However they are not needed to ensure a really good dinner. The amount of liquor that will be included is not important to me. Overall Oceania is better and less expensive. I don't prefer the old R-ships with their issues.

Edited by jos12

25 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

I have never been on Oceania, but I do get their catalogs and compare their itineraries with Azamara.  So far, DW and I pick Azamara.  How do bathrooms/ showers compare( veranda cabins)?

The  Azamara  ships  are the same  as  Oceania R Ships  just the decor is different

The  2 O class  ships have larger bathrooms

photos of Riviera

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/

Understandable.  I didn't like those tiny showers on the "R" ships in the veranda (and lower) cabins, then discovered the PH category (on Oceania) and we pretty much moved.  But I was surprised when we took a downsell on Nautica two years ago to discover that the showers no longer bothered me!  And I'm larger now than I was then!

But if they really bother you, then yes, you should move up to the "O" ships.

Mura

• Like 1

I've been on an Oceania 'r" ship once and Azamara about 7 times. One thing I prefer on Azamara is greater attention to outdoor spaces. On Oceania, the promenade decks rarely had loungers on them, and  never had towels or attention from crew.  On Azamara they are always stocked with towels and kept clean and cared for.  Also on Azamara there are wonderful seating and sunbathing areas on Deck 11 -also missing on Oceania.  If spending time outdoors in a variety of settings other than the cabin balcony is important to you, Azamara is the winner. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, java spot said:

I've been on an Oceania 'r" ship once and Azamara about 7 times. One thing I prefer on Azamara is greater attention to outdoor spaces. On Oceania, the promenade decks rarely had loungers on them, and  never had towels or attention from crew.  On Azamara they are always stocked with towels and kept clean and cared for.  Also on Azamara there are wonderful seating and sunbathing areas on Deck 11 -also missing on Oceania.  If spending time outdoors in a variety of settings other than the cabin balcony is important to you, Azamara is the winner. 

curious  when was your  cruise on Oceania?

AFAIK  there  have always been loungers on deck 11  & bar staff patrolling the area

deck 5 usually have loungers  but maybe not the attention the upper decks get from  staff

1 hour ago, java spot said:

We are both fair skinned and sunburn easily.  We usually don't bring bathing suits, so this is not a problem.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:08 PM, tgg said:

I cruise on both Oceania and Azamara.  The big difference, for me, is the way each responds to difficult situations.  Azamara goes the extra mile to make things right. 

On an Azamara cruise, we had flown in a day early but my luggage had been sent to the wrong city. It still had not arrived the next day when we left the hotel and headed for the port.  After learning about the situation, Azamara sent someone to the airport to straighten things out and pick up the missing bag.  We had gotten conflicting information about where the bag was.  The Azamara person spoke the local language and cut through the confusion.  Azamara cared, and I was grateful. 

There seems to be a huge difference in customer service between Azamara corp. and their ships.  We booked a second Azamara cruise because they offered 50% off shore excursions.  When we were about 8 months from sailing date, they announced they were discontinuing that benefit effective at some point before our sail date.  They refused to grandfather in those of us who were fully paid.  I got into it with the CEO online and he told me to read the contract which stated they could make any changes they wished.  When I cancelled due to what I deemed was unethical behavior, they charged a cancellation fee.  I will never sail with them until they have a change in leadership.