YC Drink Package Changes?

marcoigna

2 hours ago, brderyck said:

I'm cruising with two kids (aged 6 and 😎 in YC. So I prefer Gelato instead of the champagne.

Same here...and the gelato, milkshakes and crepes is what makes the drink package with YC stand apart from other cruise lines. We were all looking forward to it. First time we are giving msc a chance and this is not a great start.

I'll cross my fingers that YC is the exception and we will hear reports that we will still get gelato and crepes.

Edited by floridian1

3 hours ago, floridian1 said:

Same here...and the gelato, milkshakes and crepes is what makes the drink package with YC stand apart from other cruise lines. We were all looking forward to it. First time we are giving msc a chance and this is not a great start.

I'll cross my fingers that YC is the exception and we will hear reports that we will still get gelato and crepes.

I think that the included Champagne is what makes the package stand apart from other cruise lines. 

My fear is that they just take away glasses of Champagne from the menus so that it isn't really included!

I think some folks get hung up on the "champagne" issue.  There is champagne and there is Champagne.  Costco sells real French Champagne for $20 a bottle and its pretty decent.  You can also spend several hundred dollars on some Champagnes.   And we still have some vineyards in New York and CA calling their sparkling wines Champagne.   The NF Champagne praised by some MSC fans is actually one of the lowest cost French Champagnes.  It is OK, but we have had far better California sparkling wines (which actually cost a lot more per bottle then NF) and have even had better Italian Prosecco's.   My point is that its not so much about the Champagne issue as which Champagne or sparkling wine.

If MSC substitutes Prosecco for Champagne the issue would be which prosecco.  Some of the Italian sparkling wines are terrific and others are a true horror.  

Hank

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think some folks get hung up on the "champagne" issue.  There is champagne and there is Champagne.  Costco sells real French Champagne for $20 a bottle and its pretty decent.  You can also spend several hundred dollars on some Champagnes.   And we still have some vineyards in New York and CA calling their sparkling wines Champagne.   The NF Champagne praised by some MSC fans is actually one of the lowest cost French Champagnes.  It is OK, but we have had far better California sparkling wines (which actually cost a lot more per bottle then NF) and have even had better Italian Prosecco's.   My point is that its not so much about the Champagne issue as which Champagne or sparkling wine.

If MSC substitutes Prosecco for Champagne the issue would be which prosecco.  Some of the Italian sparkling wines are terrific and others are a true horror.  

Hank

I agree with you that some sparkling wines which isn't Champagne tastes better than some Champagne.

I don't know about prices for Champagne in the US but $20 Champagnes in Sweden are normally not very good and I rather buy Prosecco or cava for that price. NF cost around $30 in Sweden and I think that's better than most, or maybe all, non-champagne sparkling wines I have tasted.

We normally pay around $50 when we buy Champagne and for that money it's easy to find excellent Champagnes, I think.

We are happy if NF is included but we know there are better brands.

I'd also agree and I'm not unhappy with a glass of nice Prosecco.

I think at this point, given everyone's sensitivity regarding the drink package changes it's more a point of principle. 

I'm not going to spend my cruise consuming Champagne and gelato but I should be able to order if I want to as it's listed as included. 

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I'd also agree and I'm not unhappy with a glass of nice Prosecco.

I think at this point, given everyone's sensitivity regarding the drink package changes it's more a point of principle. 

I'm not going to spend my cruise consuming Champagne and gelato but I should be able to order if I want to as it's listed as included. 

We will spend our cruise consuming Champagne, included or not!

I prefer if it's included!

• Like 1

CF ... I agree with you, the hard copy UK brochure for 2018/19 does not list Champagne as part of the Deluxe package, MSC have said the same in an email, but as the package list shows it was still available on the ship on October 7th. My guess is that as per usual the Left Hand is still not speaking to the Right hand. MSC Landside do not appear to know what is happening in reality on the actual ships.

Just had someone reply to me on FB regarding a Belissima repo they are booked on, MSC have told the person on the phone that the new drink package prices are not available!

1 hour ago, sidari said:

CF ... I agree with you, the hard copy UK brochure for 2018/19 does not list Champagne as part of the Deluxe package, MSC have said the same in an email, but as the package list shows it was still available on the ship on October 7th. My guess is that as per usual the Left Hand is still not speaking to the Right hand. MSC Landside do not appear to know what is happening in reality on the actual ships.

Just had someone reply to me on FB regarding a Belissima repo they are booked on, MSC have told the person on the phone that the new drink package prices are not available!

Maybe Champagne isn't listed because they just see it as wine? If there is Champagne on the menu and it's within the pricelimit for the package it doesn't make sense to exclude Champagne but not other wines with the same price.

What they can do is to take away the option to order glasses of Champagne and only sell bottles. 

SC ... The chart I posted yesterday from the October 7th sailing clearly shows Champagne by the Glass in the list for the Deluxe package!

Now then how about this ? I have just had from a TA friend ! See what I mean about Left hand/Right Hand!

There is a new promo coming out next week for Black Friday with MSC. In the flyer they have links to the old drinks packages! But in the fine print they mentioned premium, premium plus, and easy package. It is so mixed up

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Maybe Champagne isn't listed because they just see it as wine? If there is Champagne on the menu and it's within the pricelimit for the package it doesn't make sense to exclude Champagne but not other wines with the same price.

What they can do is to take away the option to order glasses of Champagne and only sell bottles. 

On Meraviglia in Sep/Oct this year, NF champagne by the glass was the only one available on the (at that time the top package) YC and other bar menus (annotated by *). There were other champagnes by the glass, which were from 1-5 euros more expensive (annotated by **) not on the package....I would expect those champagnes, in addition to NF, to be included in the premium+ package.

NB: To date, I haven't actually seen a list of what drinks the premium+ package includes neither on the UK website or posted on any thread!

Edited by hamrag

15 hours ago, sidari said:

SC ... The chart I posted yesterday from the October 7th sailing clearly shows Champagne by the Glass in the list for the Deluxe package!

Now then how about this ? I have just had from a TA friend ! See what I mean about Left hand/Right Hand!

There is a new promo coming out next week for Black Friday with MSC. In the flyer they have links to the old drinks packages! But in the fine print they mentioned premium, premium plus, and easy package. It is so mixed up

In the hard copy you mention they might have changed their mind and just thought: "Champagne is wine so we don't specifically mention Champagne"?

I agree with you about left hand/right hand!

We will survive without included Champagne! It's still 85 days until our cruise so I'm sure that I will see the answer on cc before we cruise!

Are there any reports of passengers currently on the Seaside in YC with regards to the drink package?  Such as is the Deluxe drink package still in effect with no changesgelato, etc included?  Is the Premium Plus package only a product of the future in YC?

Edited by Todd320

7 minutes ago, Todd320 said:

If they run two types of packages at the same time I guess they would have to ask for your card at the YC Top Sail lounge.

They can ask for the card only when someone is ordering something included in one of the packages but not in the other. They might also learn very fast which package every guest has and then they don't have to ask.

Seems pretty strange to have two different packages running in YC at the same time.  That is bound to cause problems. 

I can't figure out what is keeping MSC from just Grandfathering Classic and Deluxe people into the comparable packages.  If they would get their package specifics together we could figure out why.  The only reason I can come up with is that in some way the new packages would be a considered by people as a downgrade, but that doesn't necessarily seem to be the case (gelato excluded).  Personally I feel Classic = Premium and Deluxe = Premium+, close enough value wise.  I guess MSC just doesn't want to give people the new, to me in name only,  packages at the old package pricing.  The new are priced significantly higher to the old for comparable values.

What I read is that in YC the All-Inclusive Deluxe will be replaced with the new Premium Plus (+). That means no crepes and no gelato included. Does the Premium Plus (+) has any other restrictions, like drinks with two asterisks (**) excluded ? I try to figure out the value of Premium Plus (+) without just focusing on what is no longer included. Do passengers get less value or more value with Premium Plus (+) ?

2 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

What I read is that in YC the All-Inclusive Deluxe will be replaced with the new Premium Plus (+). That means no crepes and no gelato included. Does the Premium Plus (+) has any other restrictions, like drinks with two asterisks (**) excluded ? I try to figure out the value of Premium Plus (+) without just focusing on what is no longer included. Do passengers get less value or more value with Premium Plus (+) ?

SirWolf,

That is kind of a double edged sword.  For those that do drink and enjoy a wide variety and mix of drinks the Premium Plus package is probably a better option/upgrade.  On the flip side for those of us that drink very little but do have an affinity for gelato and milkshakes its definitely not a better option but is a downgrade.  I can also see where it would be a downgrade for those that have children (unless the alcohol free option does include gelato/shakes).

17 minutes ago, LadySpoilt said:

SirWolf,

That is kind of a double edged sword.  For those that do drink and enjoy a wide variety and mix of drinks the Premium Plus package is probably a better option/upgrade.  On the flip side for those of us that drink very little but do have an affinity for gelato and milkshakes its definitely not a better option but is a downgrade.  I can also see where it would be a downgrade for those that have children (unless the alcohol free option does include gelato/shakes).

I agree. We don’t drink and would rather have the crepes and gelato included. It is not a deal breaker for us to book YC. I just try to understand the thoughts of MSC management... 

• Like 1