YC Drink Package Changes?

marcoigna

9 hours ago, Selion said:

BTW2, chocolate martini no.2 is way better than chocolate martini.  Make sure to try that.

Thank you for the updates!! Much appreciated. Since you enjoyed “chocolate martini no. 2” best, I imagine you may get another during your cruise...and if so, would you please share the name of it as (I’m only guessing) it probably has some sort of fancy name!

10 hours ago, Selion said:

Need to get my arse up to the smoothie bar on 19.  1 deck above and yet seems so far away... BTW, since Nov 24 we haven't been charged for any drinks and gelato cups.

BTW2, chocolate martini no.2 is way better than chocolate martini.  Make sure to try that.

Thia is great news. Would love to know about smoothies, milkshakes and crepes.

Thanks for being our Yacht Club guinea pig! I'm sure it's a tough job 😉

Speaking of Chocolate Martinis I have developed my own recipe for an amazing Chocolate/Espresso Martini.  Start with about 2-3 ounces (depending on your taste) of freshly brewed espresso (it can be done with powdered espresso mix but its not as good) which should be chilled.  To that add about 3 ounces of vodka (no need to use expensive vodka) 1 1/2 ounces of Kahlua,  and 3/4 ounce of Creme de Cocao.  Use a chilled (best in the freezer) large martini glass and make a nice design with chilled Hershey's Chocolate (this is the art part).   Shake the mix and pour into your chocolate coated martini glass and you are ready to rock.   I have had lots of fun experimenting with variations on the formula.  If you are a heavy coffee/espresso drinker you should go heavy on the espresso.  For those that do not like coffee you might want to cut the espresso back to an ounce.  But having some espresso helps complement the chocolate and avoids having the drink become sickening sweet.

Hank

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

Thank you for the updates!! Much appreciated. Since you enjoyed “chocolate martini no. 2” best, I imagine you may get another during your cruise...and if so, would you please share the name of it as (I’m only guessing) it probably has some sort of fancy name!

Nope its name is Chocolate Martini No 2

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Speaking of Chocolate Martinis I have developed my own recipe for an amazing Chocolate/Espresso Martini.  Start with about 2-3 ounces (depending on your taste) of freshly brewed espresso (it can be done with powdered espresso mix but its not as good) which should be chilled.  To that add about 3 ounces of vodka (no need to use expensive vodka) 1 1/2 ounces of Kahlua,  and 3/4 ounce of Creme de Cocao.  Use a chilled (best in the freezer) large martini glass and make a nice design with chilled Hershey's Chocolate (this is the art part).   Shake the mix and pour into your chocolate coated martini glass and you are ready to rock.   I have had lots of fun experimenting with variations on the formula.  If you are a heavy coffee/espresso drinker you should go heavy on the espresso.  For those that do not like coffee you might want to cut the espresso back to an ounce.  But having some espresso helps complement the chocolate and avoids having the drink become sickening sweet.

Hank

I too am a fine purveyor of chocolate martini's.......and I am afraid I have to disagree with your comment about not having to use expensive vodka........and I raise you:

https://vangoghvodka.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Original-Rich_Dark_Chocolate-product-sheet-1.pdf

On 11/27/2018 at 10:27 AM, gotta cruise again said:

No fancy name.  It's simply called Chocolate Martini No.2.  This one has Absolute vodka.  The Chocolate Martini uses a ruhm liqueur.

We got a mango smoothie and another mango cocktail from the smoothie bar on 19.  No charge.  Although they used fresh mango for the smoothie, but the mango wasn't ripe and the smoothie tasted just like the yogurt and milk in it.  It was an unmitigated disaster.  LOL!

We also got a milkshake and a gelato sundae from Venchi bar on 6.  No charges as well.

Want to point out that when I asked the YC concierge on embarkation day, she made a point of asking for my booking date.  We booked in March/April this year.  She then said the drinks are included except for the ones with two asterisks (haven't seen ANY bar menu with asterisks).  So far all my drinks are included, but I also had not ordered anything more than $11 on the menus. 

There is also a sign at the YC desk saying Venchi chocolate bar and gelateria is extra charge.  She clarified that, at least for this cruise, the drinks from Venchi are included in YC but the chocolates are not.  Guess that's why chocolate martini, gelato, and sundaes are not extra charge items, yet.

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere in this thread...I haven't read everything.

We'll be sailing in the YC on January 12.  When I look at my booking details it says, Price Description: "Drinks on Us."  It also states our experience as being Yacht Club.  Does this mean that anything outside of the YC will be the Drinks on Us package, which appears to be the lowest on chart of drink packages??  Why would it say that?  

We originally booked back in June, but my most recent documentation from MSC dated 10/2/18, still has it listed as Drinks on Us as the price description.

I've completely given up on gelato.  If we have to pay for it, fine.  I would hope though, that outside of the YC I'll be able to get something better than Smirnoff without having to pay an upcharge.  

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere in this thread...I haven't read everything.

We'll be sailing in the YC on January 12.  When I look at my booking details it says, Price Description: "Drinks on Us."  It also states our experience as being Yacht Club.  Does this mean that anything outside of the YC will be the Drinks on Us package, which appears to be the lowest on chart of drink packages??  Why would it say that?  

We originally booked back in June, but my most recent documentation from MSC dated 10/2/18, still has it listed as Drinks on Us as the price description.

I've completely given up on gelato.  If we have to pay for it, fine.  I would hope though, that outside of the YC I'll be able to get something better than Smirnoff without having to pay an upcharge.  

We sail the week before you and booked back in February. Not sure what is going to happen with our drink package, but my guess is that they will honor what you booked before and will include the crepes and gelato/shakes etc...  

I have tried a couple times to get info from MSC about it but no response. 

To me the drink package changes (if there is any)  is not that big of a deal, but this is our first time with MSC and the Yacht Club.  I was hoping after reading what all is included the gelato/shakes and crepes sounded like a nice perk considering on our many cruises in the Haven on NCL they did not include such items and thought it was a nice added benifit. 

Otherwise i I am not going to get all worked up about it. Still looking forward to this new experience and will still have a wonderful time even if I have to pay for gelato😝

2 hours ago, jules815 said:

"Drinks On Us" is simply the booking rate code under which you booked.  In YC it doesn't mean anything because you'll still get the full YC experience all over the ship.  It's simply the rate code that was the particular promotion at the time of booking.

@kodesthemoose  , in my two YC bookings it says “All-inclusive food & drinks” in the description of Additional Benefits of MSC Yacht Club Experience. In the booking confirmation the wording is “Unlimited beverage selection in MSC Yacht Club areas and in all bars an restaurants of the ship according to the drink selections available in the different venues.”

2 hours ago, sidari said:

How can D.O.U be a booking code for the YC when the YC is All Inclusive ?

It isn't a booking code FOR YC... it's just the booking code/promo code that was used when the cruise was booked.  My booking confirmation (the PDF sent by MSC) for my 2019 Seaview cruise (booked in June or July 2018) shows Price Description as "2 for 1".  I didn't book it at a 2 for 1 price, that's just the promo code that was used (as compared to Brochure Rate) when I booked.

My 2020 Seaside cruise (booked end of Aug 2018) shows Price Description as "Drinks on Us".  Again - it's just the rate code.

2 hours ago, SirWolf said:

@kodesthemoose  , in my two YC bookings it says “All-inclusive food & drinks” in the description of Additional Benefits of MSC Yacht Club Experience. In the booking confirmation the wording is “Unlimited beverage selection in MSC Yacht Club areas and in all bars an restaurants of the ship according to the drink selections available in the different venues.”

Yes - absolutely YC is all-inclusive.  i don't think I said anything different??

Edited by kodesthemoose
addition

11 hours ago, bumper31 said:

I too am a fine purveyor of chocolate martini's.......and I am afraid I have to disagree with your comment about not having to use expensive vodka........and I raise you:

https://vangoghvodka.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Original-Rich_Dark_Chocolate-product-sheet-1.pdf

Have never seen that product.  Would like to try it.

Hank

Hey everyone. DW and I are on the Divina in the YC now (1st sea day of our B2B). I’d like to report that nothing has changed except some faces. Service is great and the drinks are flowing. DW had gelato (no charge). I’m not sure what the big hoopla is about Venchi because I just had one of the best chocolate martinis in the Top Sail Lounge. Now, back to enjoying the cruise. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dgakers said:

Hey everyone. DW and I are on the Divina in the YC now (1st sea day of our B2B). I’d like to report that nothing has changed except some faces. Service is great and the drinks are flowing. DW had gelato (no charge). I’m not sure what the big hoopla is about Venchi because I just had one of the best chocolate martinis in the Top Sail Lounge. Now, back to enjoying the cruise. 

Delighted to hear it.  Have a great one!

Chocolate Martini in the Top Sail Lounge?!  Must have one before I disembark in 2 hours!

For the cruise ended today, 12/1/2018, on Seaside, almost everything you have ever wanted is included: gelato, crepes, and milkshakes.  I say "most" because we didn't order anything more than $11 on the menu.  Yes, finally got to try the crepes yesterday.

Had a conversation last night with a different concierge.  He said going forward Venchi bar, gelato, & crepes will not be included across the fleet.  He didn't mention a date though.  He also said Venchi started charging before this cruise...  I guess too many complaints so they went back to be YC-inclusive.

The cruise director emphasized on responding to the post-cruise survey.  I'll make sure they know I want Venchi to be included with YC in the future.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Selion said:

The cruise director emphasized on responding to the post-cruise survey.  I'll make sure they know I want Venchi to be included with YC in the future.

If, going forward, MSC decides to continue to have Venchi included, then the YC prices will be set to reflect that.  There's no such thing as "free" - anything that's included has been factored into the cruise price.

14 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

If, going forward, MSC decides to continue to have Venchi included, then the YC prices will be set to reflect that.  There's no such thing as "free" - anything that's included has been factored into the cruise price.

I may be attacked here but considering the great (actually, superb..) value of the YC, I'd rather they increase the prices by a few dollars a day and keep it all-inclusive. It is funny - basically,  ALL the  cruise lines boards  have variations on what is happening on the MSC boards.

From the Haven on NCL to the comments and criticisms on The new  Retreat on Celebrity, the cruise lines are trying to squeeze out every dollar and throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks and apparently making it up as they go along!

2 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I may be attacked here but considering the great (actually, superb..) value of the YC, I'd rather they increase the prices by a few dollars a day and keep it all-inclusive.

I get what you're saying Dr C ... it is a lovely feeling, when in YC, to know that, once there, there's no worries about extra charges which instils a real sense of freedom and no hassle with signing receipts - just order and sit back and enjoy.  However, the way prices are going (especially for the higher 'Experiences') it soon won't be the great value that it has been up 'til now.

Bea and David:

I view the two of you as  among the highest tier MSC sages so I will expand on my answer a bit.

I think (actually, I know ...) that MSC has deliberately underpriced themselves to get a toehold in the industry.

As they have become more popular and are filling their ships more, they will naturally increase their prices to bring them closer to the mainstream lines. With everything considered, they're still cheaper than everyone else and in the case of the YC,  the Haven and The Retreat are literally 50% more in cost for the average sailing.

I saw how RCI gutted Celebrity until it was a mere shell of what it was before but they still kept increasing the pricing! That's why I say I would rather pay more and not have the product diminished.

But .... if the pricing becomes too high (and I say this with no malice or sarcasm), move on! You can see from my signature that's exactly what I did. I had 250 nights on Celebrity and said "bye" and have generally weaned myself off of The Haven. 

In fact, many Viking Ocean sailings are the same price per day as the YC!  

Ultimately, I'm still happy paying more but if they cross my own invisible line, I'll look elsewhere.

• Like 1

Dr C ... When it comes to £5,000 for two people for a 7 night YC cruise without hotel and flights the pricing has gone beyond being sane.

Virtuosa in 2020 has the same pricing for each week of November and December apart from Xmas and New Year, something not normally seen in MSC pricing.

Since MSC has employed ex RCI and NCL people the changes have all been one way and that is downhill as seen by the Downgrading of the Aurea experience. While prices to you in the US may still seem reasonable, to us in the UK and Europe prices are increasing and as Bea says the value for money will soon be gone.