hydrofoil to Petergof

marieg88

Hi, thxs for the info. He had a bad time when we did Naples to Capri, ( I think half the people were ill) . He is willing to gamble :) The alternative is an hour long bus ride. We're using a private tour company, just the 2 of us. If he doesn't do well, at least we won't ruin anyone else's tour.

On our tour in September, our guide told us that with the new highway, driving is just as fast as the boat.  I really enjoyed the ride as we got to see some of the countryside.  She also stated that the hydrofoil is very dependent on the weather and can frequently be cancelled.

It's not across an open bay like the Bay of Naples - the protective causeway across the Gulf of Finland effectively turns it into a 20-mile long lake. 

Wendy's guide told her that the hydrofoil is weather-dependent, and is cancelled in poor weather. That's pretty typical of hydrofoils, hovercraft & the like - so by my reckoning if it's running it'll be fine.

We had a smooth crossing, tho that's no guarantee.

But if it's a one-way hydrofoil you'll have the luxury of deciding on the spot whether to take the hydrofoil & meet the car/van at Peterhof, or drive out & back. Different transport in each direction gives you two perspectives. :classic_smile:

Just MHO as always

JB :classic_smile:

Hi,thxs again for the info. I sent our tour company and email about the time difference. The hydrofoil is 20 minutes faster and of course doesn't have to worry about traffic. I agree, if the weather is bad, the boat won't run.

So exciting, can't wait till our cruise in june.

• 2 weeks later...

Being on a hydrofoil when the sea is rough is like driving on a bumpy road. Not exactly like sailing in the open sea during the storm. The hydrofoil is fast, and it was a fun experience. However, when we were there, a family with small kids was on the same boat, and the kids were scared. But we liked the ride. When you come close to Peterhoff, it is scenic, too.

thxs, he's tried the seabands, not much luck with them. Bonine(?) usually works very well except for Capri. It doesn't make you sleepy like gravol. Unfortunately it's not available in Canada, we usually pick some up when we go across the border.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ElsieToo said:

Other than the somewhat unique experience of riding the hydrofoil, what’s the primary reason to look for a tour that offers this? Saves time? Different entrance to Peterhof?

It does save time, as the hydrofoil ride is 20-30 minutes shorter than the drive to Peterhoff. And yes, it is different entrance, because if you arrive by hydrofoil, you get straight to the Lower Park of Peterhoff, and this is where all the beautiful fountains and pavillions are.

10 hours ago, ElsieToo said:

Other than the somewhat unique experience of riding the hydrofoil, what’s the primary reason to look for a tour that offers this? Saves time? Different entrance to Peterhof?

With the opening of the new highway, the time differential between van & hydrofoil is minimal. Takes about 35 minutes by car, 30 minutes by hydrofoil.

hydrofoil: you enter Peterhof by the lower park/gardens

van/car: you enter Peterhof by the upper park/gardens

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for your thoughts! We ended up selecting a private tour, so we're going to decide on the morning, I think, once we see how everyone in our party is feeling. I really appreciate all of your comments, though, and I'll be passing it on to our party. :)

On 12/12/2018 at 6:24 AM, Lagerta said:

The new highway is a paid road, so not everyone is ready to pay the fee. If your driver is, than there is really very little difference in time.

Right - the private companies that offer this option pay the fee, not the customer.